Live football thread.

Rev

All in all, was the prem a bit rubbish this year?

Two very poor sides in Norwich and Watford and in other seasons could well have been scraping towards the Derby total (without hitting it!). Then above them the underachievers of Burnley, Leeds and Everyon who have wildly got their transfer policy wrong this season. That third relegation place could have deservedly gone to any of them. Then after that a slew of wildly inconsistent sides up to 10th who look decent on their day but must be a continually frustrating watch for the fans. Then Brighton, Leicester and West Ham or who for their money spent are doing quite well. After that you’ve got the real underachievers, who are performing similarly to those below with better players until you reach Liverpool and Man City who have comfortably been the best sides. Liverpool have bottle, although I’m not a huge Klopp-ball fan I will admit they pick up results consistently and have top players and City are just City. Did a bit of a tangent but what I’m saying is there are two real top sides and everyone else hasn’t really set the league alight. If I’m really honest, actually thought the covid season was a bit better overall?

Next season does stand a chance of being a lot better though I think. Arteta’s Arsenal are improving, Spurs under Conte are looking…Spursy but Conte is a very good manager, Man U need to turn the corner and Chelsea need to step up under Tuchel. Can West Ham, Leicester and Brighton maintain their form? Newcastle’s Saudi money is going to kick in. Vieira’s Palace will want to improve and then there is serious questions what happens with the rest. Leeds need overhauling and I think we will see whatever Lampard’s actual management potential is. It’ll be tough for the promoted sides to be honest. 

Where was I? Oh yeah, this season was poor overall but there is all the potential to be a lot better next season. I’ve not even mentioned Haaland at City!

Edited by TuffLuff

14 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Two very poor sides in Norwich and Watford and in other seasons could well have been scraping towards the Derby total (without hitting it!). Then above them the underachievers of Burnley, Leeds and Everyon who have wildly got their transfer policy wrong this season. That third relegation place could have deservedly gone to any of them. Then after that a slew of wildly inconsistent sides up to 10th who look decent on their day but must be a continually frustrating watch for the fans. Then Brighton, Leicester and West Ham or who for their money spent are doing quite well. After that you’ve got the real underachievers, who are performing similarly to those below with better players until you reach Liverpool and Man City who have comfortably been the best sides. Liverpool have bottle, although I’m not a huge Klopp-ball fan I will admit they pick up results consistently and have top players and City are just City. Did a bit of a tangent but what I’m saying is there are two real top sides and everyone else hasn’t really set the league alight. If I’m really honest, actually thought the covid season was a bit better overall?

Next season does stand a chance of being a lot better though I think. Arteta’s Arsenal are improving, Spurs under Conte are looking…Spursy but Conte is a very good manager, Man U need to turn the corner and Chelsea need to step up under Tuchel. Can West Ham, Leicester and Brighton maintain their form? Newcastle’s Saudi money is going to kick in. Vieira’s Palace will want to improve and then there is serious questions what happens with the rest. Leeds need overhauling and I think we will see whatever Lampard’s actual management potential is. It’ll be tough for the promoted sides to be honest. 

Where was I? Oh yeah, this season was poor overall but there is all the potential to be a lot better next season. I’ve not even mentioned Haaland at City!

This season has been one of the best Premier League seasons since its formation. Brilliant drama right up to the final day. It had everything. Next season will struggle to top this one. It’s been very entertaining. 

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

City and Liverpool are just miles better than the rest. Chelsea can compete with them in cup competitions, but they aren’t anywhere near as consistent in the league to challenge.

If you felt this season was boring, next season is going to be awful.

Fulham and Bournemouth are nailed on for relegation. Huddersfield too if they go up. Forest may provide some entertainment and something different in fairness, but they’d struggle too.

Spurs under Conte look decent. Arsenal have blown it. Unless Man Utd do something miraculous this summer, the top four and relegation spots will be utterly predictable next season and probably more straightforward.

Best league in the world? It’s the most predictable, and it’s propped up by two outstanding teams.