Watchable telly

dog

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Should do a DCFC Fans version and get @Eddie, @froggg, @Angry Ramand co to compete against each other for the honour of being crowned, DCFC Masterchef. I'm thinking that watching them adorned in their aprons, craching around their kitchens oathing loudly would make for some pretty compelling viewing! ?

*annoyingly, they all actually appear to be really good cooks ?

In the bag... @frogggis in hiding and @Eddieis shall we say.. Rustic. Presentation needs work..??

I would be worried about the Froggg meister though.

7 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

In the bag... @frogggis in hiding and @Eddieis shall we say.. Rustic. Presentation needs work..??

As an occasional lurker on that thread, I have to say your presentation has improved dramatically in recent months - that carbonara looked pucker. As for @froggg, he's clearly running scared ?

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

It's all about the taste.

I have no pretentions about my 'ability' - I just enjoy pottering about, creating dishes that taste superb and which elicit a comment like "It'll do" from the Memsahib. 'Rustic' could well be an accurate description. If the presentation is not up to the standards of others, that doesn't concern me.

9 hours ago, Chester40 said:

The missus couldn't understand why after weeks of badgering I agreed to try it, even less so when I explained that although I had ignored a few friends who had suggested it I was now willing to try it as @86 Hair Islandssaid it was good ?

We watched an episode and got to admit both of us were pretty underwhelmed. Felt very much style over substance. Reminded me vaguely of White Lines, all very glossy, but characters who seemed shallow and scenes that jumped around but with no depth or interest. Felt like a BBC acting class with dodgy wigs and people who have been in Hollyoaks. I will probably revisit it but I didn't engage with any of the people in it after the first episode. Maybe I was in the wrong mood. 

I wanted to give up half way through the first episode but glad I didn't. Each programme got better and better - worth the effort.

7 hours ago, Rev said:

DIY SOS - The Big build.

I've started tearing up before they've even kicked the unfortunate family out these days.

Life affirming feel good TV.

Its the kind of TV I would normally loathe....but something about it really affects me. I recall one episode where they built a wet/shower room and installed a winch etc for a  young lad who had a brain injury. He had been a good looking bloke with his life ahead of him and now his whole family were in floods of tears because they were able to bring him home from the nursing home he was in. I don't watch it anymore in case the missus decides I'm having a breakdown!! 

7 hours ago, Rev said:

DIY SOS - The Big build.

I've started tearing up before they've even kicked the unfortunate family out these days.

Just now, Chester40 said:

Its the kind of TV I would normally loathe....but something about it really affects me. I recall one episode where they built a wet/shower room and installed a winch etc for a  young lad who had a brain injury. He had been a good looking bloke with his life ahead of him and now his whole family were in floods of tears because they were able to bring him home from the nursing home he was in. I don't watch it anymore in case the missus decides I'm having a breakdown!! 

I remember the American version, Extreme Makeover - Home Edition. Must have been at least ten years ago, a bloke called Ty presented it. That used to reduce me to a blubbering mess. 

On 15/02/2021 at 09:26, Chester40 said:

The missus couldn't understand why after weeks of badgering I agreed to try it, even less so when I explained that although I had ignored a few friends who had suggested it I was now willing to try it as @86 Hair Islandssaid it was good ?

We watched an episode and got to admit both of us were pretty underwhelmed. Felt very much style over substance. Reminded me vaguely of White Lines, all very glossy, but characters who seemed shallow and scenes that jumped around but with no depth or interest. Felt like a BBC acting class with dodgy wigs and people who have been in Hollyoaks. I will probably revisit it but I didn't engage with any of the people in it after the first episode. Maybe I was in the wrong mood. 

I felt similar. Watched tho whole series, and I can see that it is technically very good. But just did not engage me emotionally. All the characters we too unlikable.

I finished The Serpent a few weeks back now.

I agree with @Chester40. It’s underwhelming and unconvincing. It is average fare and undeserving of all the hype and publicity it was generating at the beginning of the year.

It takes what is actually an interesting real life story and strips it of any tension, any intrigue, any coherence, and where the characters are concerned - there’s hardly any believability.

Rahim is hit and miss as Charles, as an example. He conveys the nasty, bitter, unflinching side of the character well but doesn’t really illustrate any of the charm or charisma that would bring all of these people into his orbit in the first place.

It is also unnecessarily long and drawn out - eight episodes long when it could be easily condensed into four episodes or fewer.

Don’t get sucked in by the hype. 

Storyville on the BBC player.: red penguins.

American entrepreneurs try to bring capitalism to the Russian ice hockey team in the 90's as Yeltsin takes control of Moscow. 

You forget what Russia went through in the early 90's. 

2 cultures that will always distrust each other. 

On 19/02/2021 at 01:11, Rev said:

DIY SOS - The Big build.

Yeah, I embarrass myself everytime. 

Stupid program.