Watchable telly

dog

On 06/03/2021 at 20:19, Bob The Badger said:

I'm most of the way through the 2nd season of The West Wing and here are my observations that nobody is bothered about:

1. The scriptwriting is super tight apart from point #5

2. The choreography (for want of a better word) and the use of steady cams is incredible. I bet at least 9 members of the crew broke legs and another 2 or 3 shattered a pelvis trying to film it.

3. The acting (other than point #5) is outstanding, especially John Spencer who played Leo (I couldn't believe he was only 52 when it started, he looked more like 65 - very sad to see he's since shuffled off this mortal coil) and the dude whose name I'm too lazy to look up and too old to remember, who played Toby and of course, Martin Sheen.

4. It really sucks watching something so good on a OLED 4k tv in  low-def other than point #5 who I wish had been in no-def.

5. Rob Lowe is the worst actor in it by some margin (he's utterly horrible and in it on name recognition alone). His lines often seem glb and his timing even glibber.

In short, a Craig Short out of ten when Craigy was firing on all cylinders just before we sold him. 

Maybe even better tbh.

Literally the best series ever 

56 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Previous series have been very good, this latest series - awful

We recently watched Marcella Series 1 on Netflix and thought the ending was utterly preposterous. No spoliers, but we felt absolutley conned that we sat through so many episodes only to give us such a nonsense ending. We won't be watching any more.

For some really top-notch whodunnit/detective fiction however we have been watching The Bridge - currently available on iPlayer.  We are up to series 3 and think it's the best so far. I didn't think that was possible after Martin was written out. Truly outstanding drama.

7 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

We recently watched Marcella Series 1 on Netflix and thought the ending was utterly preposterous. No spoliers, but we felt absolutley conned that we sat through so many episodes only to give us such a nonsense ending. We won't be watching any more.

For some really top-notch whodunnit/detective fiction however we have been watching The Bridge - currently available on iPlayer.  We are up to series 3 and think it's the best so far. I didn't think that was possible after Martin was written out. Truly outstanding drama.

Doh! Thought I might give that a try - and then you have to tell us Martin gets written out. What's the point in watching it now?.....?

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Doh! Thought I might give that a try - and then you have to tell us Martin gets written out. What's the point in watching it now?.....?

Sorry. I thought it was well known he only did 2 series... Since he is a pretty famous actor these days.

Anyway. I don't think it will spoil your enjoyment. Give it a go!

32 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Sorry. I thought it was well known he only did 2 series... Since he is a pretty famous actor these days.

Anyway. I don't think it will spoil your enjoyment. Give it a go!

No harm done - only messing about. It’s already on my list of things to watch....

Did anyone else catch the Channel 4 series The Great? 

Comedy drama (listed as 'occasionally true') about the rise of the young Catherine the Great and her overthrow of her bonkers husband Peter III (not so great). 

Really funny in places and played with great gusto by a cast obviously having fun. 

I am missing it already. 

Just started “Dark” after reading some reviews on here. On episode 5 now, just a question do you start getting some answers to what’s happening soon or is it another on like “Lost” where you never know? 

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Just started “Dark” after reading some reviews on here. On episode 5 now, just a question do you start getting some answers to what’s happening soon or is it another on like “Lost” where you never know? 

It's not like Lost.

7 hours ago, TexasRam said:

No and no. Hope that helps. 

10 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Requires close attention so while things do unfold, it's not simple. The 'no' on Lost is in reference to the fact that show was garbage whereas this one certainly isn't.

I was going to post something similar - it does explain what's going on, but whether you have a clue what it means and how things get to where they end up is a different matter....

27 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I was going to post something similar - it does explain what's going on, but whether you have a clue what it means and how things get to where they end up is a different matter....

We're making it sound awful though when in fact it's quite brilliant ?

40 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Requires close attention so while things do unfold, it's not simple. The 'no' on Lost is in reference to the fact that show was garbage whereas this one certainly isn't.

As long as there’s a some answers or clues along the way I’m good. It’s when episode after episode you’re just guessing at the what it’s all about, that’s when I give up.