Watchable telly

dog

We have one episode of ZeroZeroZero to watch after seeing it recommending here.

Meh to ok.

It's not even close to Narcos (which I'd give a 9.5 out of 10n and a poster compared it to) and there are insane plot flaws, although it is very well produced and filmed.

I certainly don't regret watching it, but I regret having such high expectations.

Worth checking out.

Quick spoiler, so go no further if you haven't watched it.

-----------

The ISIS/Jihadist scene was utterly ludicrous.

'Oh! You have $30m worth of coke?'

'Ok, well give us a tiny fraction and we'll let you go'.

Hm, wouldn't they have wanted it all or  then let the beheadings begin'?

That same scenario was played out in Somalia.

'You have coke?'

'Give us a tiny bit and we'll help you'

Rather than killing them and taking it all.

A bit silly really.

Watching Ted Lasso at the moment,  half way through season one, love it. Funny,  sad, heart warming...

Some of the best tv I've seen recently. 

4 hours ago, TimRam said:

Missed a lot of Sherlock for some reason so catching up on netflix. Great series.

Great up until season 4, then gets a bit too clever for itself. Takes the characters in a strange direction too. One of the things that optimised the earlier seasons was the humour. Season 1 and 2 are excellent.

The English Game is worth a watch on Netflix, tells the story of how football came to be and the uproar from the English gentleman that had formed the FA when the working class teams started illegally paying players (how they’d turn in their graves at the sums paid today). 

18 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

We have one episode of ZeroZeroZero to watch after seeing it recommending here.

Meh to ok.

It's not even close to Narcos (which I'd give a 9.5 out of 10n and a poster compared it to) and there are insane plot flaws, although it is very well produced and filmed.

I certainly don't regret watching it, but I regret having such high expectations.

Worth checking out.

Quick spoiler, so go no further if you haven't watched it.

-----------

The ISIS/Jihadist scene was utterly ludicrous.

'Oh! You have $30m worth of coke?'

'Ok, well give us a tiny fraction and we'll let you go'.

Hm, wouldn't they have wanted it all or  then let the beheadings begin'?

That same scenario was played out in Somalia.

'You have coke?'

'Give us a tiny bit and we'll help you'

Rather than killing them and taking it all.

A bit silly really.

Yes, I had high hopes but as with many modern dramas I keep thinking no one has ever, or would ever, utter those words. 

I then find myself half watching and often don't see the series through. I understand that the last episode is quite entertaining so might persevere. 

On 11/02/2021 at 19:53, Sith Happens said:

Watching Ted Lasso at the moment,  half way through season one, love it. Funny,  sad, heart warming...

Some of the best tv I've seen recently. 

I really liked it. Kinda fools you into thinking it's one thing and then morphs into something rather different. It was renewed only 5 days after the first season ended and season two is already being filmed. It seems like there'll be three seasons and I must admit I'm quite looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

Watched the first episode of latest Adam Curtis documentary on BBC. Fascinating as usual.

Fave bit so far is that the Illuminati conspiracy theory was invented by a couple of people at Playboy magazine in attempt to show how ridiculous conspiracy theories were. No one could ever believe that a Bavarian group from the 18th century secretly controlled the world? Could they?

Another interesting part on a major player who pushed the JFK conspiracy theory back in the day. He knew that he'd never be able to find any evidence that a secret controlling group was really running everything, so the way to expose them was by looking for links or coincidences. An inspiration for cranks ever since.

10 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Saw the trailer for Ted Lasso a few months back and thought it looked horrific.

Been convinced by everyone on here and elsewhere to give it a go. Halfway through the second episode and I’m hooked. The characters are brilliant.

definitely sounds like it shouldn't work, but does. 

On 13/02/2021 at 19:38, 86 Hair Islands said:

Binged my way through The Serpent on Friday as I'm laid low at the moment. It's such a good show it had me hooked after one episode. An absolute master turn from Tahar Rahim in the lead role as the brooding, homicidal narcissist Charles Sobraj. Definitely worth a watch.

The missus couldn't understand why after weeks of badgering I agreed to try it, even less so when I explained that although I had ignored a few friends who had suggested it I was now willing to try it as @86 Hair Islandssaid it was good ?

We watched an episode and got to admit both of us were pretty underwhelmed. Felt very much style over substance. Reminded me vaguely of White Lines, all very glossy, but characters who seemed shallow and scenes that jumped around but with no depth or interest. Felt like a BBC acting class with dodgy wigs and people who have been in Hollyoaks. I will probably revisit it but I didn't engage with any of the people in it after the first episode. Maybe I was in the wrong mood. 

11 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

The missus couldn't understand why after weeks of badgering I agreed to try it, even less so when I explained that although I had ignored a few friends who had suggested it I was now willing to try it as @86 Hair Islandssaid it was good ?

We watched an episode and got to admit both of us were pretty underwhelmed. Felt very much style over substance. Reminded me vaguely of White Lines, all very glossy, but characters who seemed shallow and scenes that jumped around but with no depth or interest. Felt like a BBC acting class with dodgy wigs and people who have been in Hollyoaks. I will probably revisit it but I didn't engage with any of the people in it after the first episode. Maybe I was in the wrong mood. 

Give it another episode. It's definitely a grower. I loved it!

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

LOL - ok well sorry it's not for you buddy but it's really none of the things you've described. It's quite brilliant and I'm not really sure you are meant to engage with the characters, as such, rather view them with growing horror and disquiet. Rest assured they become very real indeed. By the end of it, I could barely watch the scenes where Sobraj is involved. Tahar Rahim absolutely oozes chilling menace and becomes the very embodiment of evil without the viewer needing to see anything explicit or gory at all. There's nothing sensationalist about it at all and I think it's because of the dispassionate treatment of the story, that the whole thing is so unsettling. The horror of it all is essentially played out in the viewer's head but perhaps this kind of treatment is not for everyone. For me it showed very clearly how people like Sobraj managed to remain undetected for so long, though such things would be far harder now.

A lot of folk couldn't keep track of the timeline hops as well, though as the story unfolds, you come to realise why they have edited the show this way. It actually depicts the timeline of the case itself and how and when the pieces came together, so whilst requiring a bit of effort, there is a pay-off in the end. In fairness, I was absolutely hooked inside 20 minutes so perhaps it's just a case of horses for courses?

29 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

LOL - ok well sorry it's not for you buddy but it's really none of the things you've described. It's quite brilliant and I'm not really sure you are meant to engage with the characters, as such, rather view them with growing horror and disquiet. Rest assured they become very real indeed. By the end of it, I could barely watch the scenes where Sobraj is involved. Tahar Rahim absolutely oozes chilling menace and becomes the very embodiment of evil without the viewer needing to see anything explicit or gory at all. There's nothing sensationalist about it at all and I think it's because of the dispassionate treatment of the story, that the whole thing is so unsettling. The horror of it all is essentially played out in the viewer's head but perhaps this kind of treatment is not for everyone. For me it showed very clearly how people like Sobraj managed to remain undetected for so long, though such things would be far harder now.

A lot of folk couldn't keep track of the timeline hops as well, though as the story unfolds, you come to realise why they have edited the show this way. It actually depicts the timeline of the case itself and how and when the pieces came together, so whilst requiring a bit of effort, there is a pay-off in the end. In fairness, I was absolutely hooked inside 20 minutes so perhaps it's just a case of horses for courses?

Exactly.  I would just add that the sheer horror of knowing that this actually happened in real life made it all the more compelling. 

Rahim played the part so well you can understand why people were sucked in by him.

51 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'm finding Celebrity Best Home Cook quite entertaining and a lot more relatable than the restaurant-quality-from-day-one offering of Masterchef.

It doesn't really matter that I don't know who half of them are.

Should do a DCFC Fans version and get @Eddie, @froggg, @Angry Ramand co to compete against each other for the honour of being crowned, DCFC Masterchef. I'm thinking that watching them adorned in their aprons, craching around their kitchens oathing loudly would make for some pretty compelling viewing! ?

*annoyingly, they all actually appear to be really good cooks ?

45 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Should do a DCFC Fans version and get @Eddie, @froggg, @Angry Ramand co to compete against each other for the honour of being crowned, DCFC Masterchef. I'm thinking that watching them adorned in their aprons, craching around their kitchens oathing loudly would make for some pretty compelling viewing! ?

*annoyingly, they all actually appear to be really good cooks ?

@froggg is far too Michelin these days!