Watchable telly

dog

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I dabble in screenwriting and have a writing partner who flits between Berlin and California. She recommended something called DARK to me which is a German show that's now on Netflix, with subtitles. I'm very busy at the moment, so just watched the first episode, but liked it a lot.

Dark is great. No spoilers from me though!

Will check out It's A Sin - reviews are excellent, so odd I'd not even heard of it. Will definitely give it a whirl.

Just watched McMafia. Awful (and completely inappropriate) name, but a seriously polished show that won the International Emmy Award for Best Drama Series. Highly recommended. 

32 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Just watched McMafia. Awful (and completely inappropriate) name, but a seriously polished show that won the International Emmy Award for Best Drama Series. Highly recommended. 

I don't recall exactly what I said, but I recommended it a few months back and a couple of people seemed to not like it. 

Pacific is the series that has been recommended to me to watch next..struggling to find anything to really get my teeth into. 

38 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Will check out It's A Sin - reviews are excellent, so odd I'd not even heard of it. Will definitely give it a whirl.

I *think* I may have nicked this from the joke thread.

image.thumb.png.450561e660f8bb8d8105190800cc1116.png

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I dabble in screenwriting and have a writing partner who flits between Berlin and California. She recommended something called DARK to me which is a German show that's now on Netflix, with subtitles. I'm very busy at the moment, so just watched the first episode, but liked it a lot. Great atmosphere and sound design. It's in a remote German village where a kid has gone missing.

There's obviously going to be a fair amount of playing around with time as it proceeds (I think there are three series). In this first episode a young kid is doing a conjuring trick at the dinner table and someone asks him "how did you do that?" His response is something like, "The question isn't how did I do it. The question is when did I do it."

I fed back that I thought the show had very much the feel of a modern day Twin Peaks and my writing partner said that was exactly the vibe.

Good timing, I've literally just watched the first episode of the 3rd series. Dark is probably the best thing ever, at least after 2 series and one episode!

I had a break between the 2nd and 3rd series as it's so good, I want to make it last longer. 

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Best thing I've seen on terrestrial TV for a while. 

I found myself truly engrossed because the characters are so interesting. 

Amazing to remember the attitudes which prevailed around AIDS in the early eighties. 

You'll laugh and cry. 

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Looked back a few pages on here, but haven't found mention of It's A Sin (C4). Genuinely think it's been superb, with the pacing just right. You can binge watch all episodes, but I'm old-fashioned so quite like waiting a week for the next one, so have only done the first three so far.

I watched the first 2 episodes last night on your recommendation. 

Wow. It's perfect TV. Script, acting, and brilliant, brilliant directing. 

Thanks.

4 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yep, that's the one.. I found it yesterday and was put off by the £15-20 price tag. Not saying I'm tight, but when there is so much choice I'm already subscribed to, it seemed a big investment on a whim ??

I will finish The Vikings and Animal Kingdom (both watchable but not earth shattering) and consider it! 

15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

We don’t often mention comedies, but I’m currently watching Derry Girls on ALL4. Absolutely hilarious. 

I find it very funny. Like I said in a previous post cant believe the ages of the cast in real life, especially Clare who is 32.

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Yep, that's the one.. I found it yesterday and was put off by the £15-20 price tag. Not saying I'm tight, but when there is so much choice I'm already subscribed to, it seemed a big investment on a whim ??

I will finish The Vikings and Animal Kingdom (both watchable but not earth shattering) and consider it! 

Watch in an a free trial buddy ?

https://www.hulu.com/series/the-pacific-44cf4bbb-5839-4709-aad7-b9a9f4046e34 

Liked Animal Kingdom. It's pulp, but it's good pulp. Vikings I gave up on after the second series. Could only take so many marauding Scandiwegians before my attention wandered.

On 06/02/2021 at 15:29, r4derby said:

@maxjam episode 5 = banger. Totally called the end, and got a little bit excited much to my wife’s confusion (she still wasn’t sure after I tried to explain it to her!)

Yeah its all becoming a lot clearer now, obvious reasons why whats happening is happening although Sword are taking a less than sympathetic approach!

The Winter Soldier and Falcon Superbowl trailer looks good - can't wait for that to start next month either ?

22 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Watch in an a free trial buddy ?

https://www.hulu.com/series/the-pacific-44cf4bbb-5839-4709-aad7-b9a9f4046e34 

Liked Animal Kingdom. It's pulp, but it's good pulp. Vikings I gave up on after the second series. Could only take so many marauding Scandiwegians before my attention wandered.

Took your advice but am now on a bit of a deviation...signed up for a different channel for a free week and really getting into Mr Mercedes, hoping it stays as engaging. 

On 04/02/2021 at 20:53, TexasRam said:

Just finishing A Discovery of Witches on Sky, pretty good. It’s not True Blood or GOT but worth watching. 

I'll keep going cos Mrs Wolfie is a big fan of the books but I'm finding the second series more effort to stick with, than the first.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

I'll keep going cos Mrs Wolfie is a big fan of the books but I'm finding the second series more effort to stick with, than the first.

Yes the 2nd series is slow going but gets better, no spoilers but series 3 could be a good one.