Watchable telly

dog

46 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Watched The Mandalorian for the first time over Xmas. Not a huge Star Wars fan but was pleasantly surprised as to how engaged I became in the story from episode 1. 

Gets better the longer it goes on imo - by the end of season 2 its Star Wars nerd nirvana.  

My 'oh god you're not watching Star Wars again' wife felt similar to you.  Started off reading a book whilst I watched it on the tv, ended up looking forwards to each episode, watching them at 9am as soon as they became available!

Just now, maxjam said:

Gets better the longer it goes on imo - by the end of season 2 its Star Wars nerd nirvana.  

My 'oh god you're not watching Star Wars again' wife felt similar to you.  Started off reading a book whilst I watched it on the tv, ended up looking forwards to each episode, watching them at 9am as soon as they became available!

Exactly the same as me. Was asked if I'd seen The Mandalorian before and watched it to begin with detached interest but became more and more engrossed in the series as it went on. 

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Mandalorian made me watch all 9 Star Wars movies! 

All 9? You've missed Rouge One then which is perhaps the best one outside of the original 3 (4 to 6). I really liked Solo too.

I'm assuming you hadn't seen them before right? If so, what did you think?

Edited by ariotofmyown

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

All 9? You've missed Rouge One then which is perhaps the best one outside of the original 3 (4 to 6). I really liked Solo too.

Im without broadband at the moment, so the others are on hold. I had watched them (the original three) previously but they left no impression on me and could only recall minor things. Found them creative and entertaining but the scripts and some plot lines juvenile and immature. 

8 hours ago, maxjam said:

So many people love this series, but I find it really annoying. Massive plot holes. The recurring character of the spaceship mechanic... Worst actress ever... Hams up every scene. Cartoon style action sequences.. like the season 1 finale where bad guy just walks away from wreckage of crashed space ship without a scratch. 

For me it's Saturday teatime telly, and I would rather have a little more grittiness. 

44 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You mean caravan of courage isnt on your rewatch list ? ?

Gangs of London never made it to the US, to the best of my knowledge, but finally finished it last night.

Probably the most violent TV series I have ever watched.

I'm not sold on Joe Cole as an actor and there was an insane amount of plot flaws and unbelievable scenes like Joe Cole punching the crap out of a wall for 30 seconds and barely a scratch on his hand and the leader of the Irish gang taking about 621 bullets in his back and not quite being dead, but yeh, loved it.

The Pembrokeshire Murders.

I'll give it a hefty 7 out of 10. And it would have nudged 8 if not for the casting of the son of the cop leading the investigation.

If you're going to cast somebody who is trialing for the county football team, at least ask them if they've ever kicked a ball before rather than 'can you prance around like John Inman on acid?'

More of your cerebral detective series with no car chase or shoot out in sight.

Keith Allen was incredible as the guy they suspect of the murders, apart from one tiny detail.

Somebody forget to tell him he was from Wales.

Seriously though, he was BAFTA good other than not being arsed to sound like a local.

And on the back of you guys in here we're now 7 episodes into The West Wing.

Liking it, if watching in standard def is somewhat irritating. 

The Great Mountain Sheep Gather... available on bbc catch up

Slow paced sedate documentary, showing the summer gathering of the ultra hardy Herdwick sheep from the top of Scafell Pike, down through the Eskdale Valley.

Beautiful countryside, beautiful breed of sheep, & high quality shepherding. No jazz from TV presenters just the shepherds narration, interspersed with  some occasional short poems from the Lake District.

Looked back a few pages on here, but haven't found mention of It's A Sin (C4). Genuinely think it's been superb, with the pacing just right. You can binge watch all episodes, but I'm old-fashioned so quite like waiting a week for the next one, so have only done the first three so far.

It's shocking to me that, although I lived through those times, so much of it passed me by. 

It's not all doom and gloom. The show's a good mix of exuberance and uncertainty. Not sure how many episodes there are in total. Though characters keep dying off so it can't go on for that long.

I dabble in screenwriting and have a writing partner who flits between Berlin and California. She recommended something called DARK to me which is a German show that's now on Netflix, with subtitles. I'm very busy at the moment, so just watched the first episode, but liked it a lot. Great atmosphere and sound design. It's in a remote German village where a kid has gone missing.

There's obviously going to be a fair amount of playing around with time as it proceeds (I think there are three series). In this first episode a young kid is doing a conjuring trick at the dinner table and someone asks him "how did you do that?" His response is something like, "The question isn't how did I do it. The question is when did I do it."

I fed back that I thought the show had very much the feel of a modern day Twin Peaks and my writing partner said that was exactly the vibe.