Watchable telly

dog

41 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes I appreciate that. I guess I’m not comfortable watching supposed gangland violence that looks like it has been choreographed by MCHammer.

I’m an old fart and I know there’s a massive market for this type of thing. I note that its two directors come from a martial arts movie background so it was always going to be this stylised violence. 

Not for me but each to their own.

Interesting analysis... I think I may feel the same then. I'm not keen on that overly stylised violence, prefer realism... not sure what that says about me. 

I also can't really bond with John Wick type stuff. One guy killing a 100 other highly trained assassins at the same time with a tiny flicks of the wrist before a huge standoff with the main villain that goes on forever. Can't get invested in it...just bores me and I find I don't care what happens. 

13 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

It’s not meant to be the usual gang land drama, they’re not aiming for social realism,  it’s meant to be hyper stylised and OTT. 

I finished it last night. It's completely daft of course, with zero emphasis on characterisation, but I have to say I thought it was a hoot. It doesn't bear up to scrutiny but then I don't think it's meant to really. I think the aim was to take the viewer on a wild and breathless ride and I'd say it accomplishes that much with something to spare.

Season 3 of UNFORGOTTEN is on Netflix. Loved first two seasons. The premise of the show is a dept of the police investigating when remains turn up somewhere. They have to identify the remains and the circumstances. Really well made and with good storylines. Its British. 

Several people suggested 'The Last Dance', the series about the Chicago Bulls 97/98 NBA season. Said you didn't need to be a basketball fan, just a great series. 

Watched a couple of episodes...its watchable enough so far, but don't think it transcends the sport in interest really. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Season 3 of UNFORGOTTEN is on Netflix. Loved first two seasons. The premise of the show is a dept of the police investigating when remains turn up somewhere. They have to identify the remains and the circumstances. Really well made and with good storylines. Its British. 

I believe Series 4 is arriving soon. I think they've all been great. That Nicola Walker is in absolutely everything!

I watched the first 3 episodes of Gervais's Afterlife 2 last night. I was a bit bladdered and can't remember much about it except it was a bit boring and I think the postman went out with the impossibly nice sex worker. 

I think I'd better rewatch it all before I review it.

3 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

I watched the first 3 episodes of Gervais's Afterlife 2 last night. I was a bit bladdered and can't remember much about it except it was a bit boring and I think the postman went out with the impossibly nice sex worker. 

I think I'd better rewatch it all before I review it.

I found the first series a bit dull and basically a vehicle for Gervais to put his twitter rants into video form.

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I found the first series a bit dull and basically a vehicle for Gervais to put his twitter rants into video form.

Yeah there were enough funny bits to make it watchable but some of the characters were annoying. The main character himself was awful, everyone loves him but for what reason? His dead wife was horrendously grating. The ridiculously nice prostitute was bizarre - as was the ridiculously nice intern at the office. Don't get me started on the annoying old bint on the bench. Even his nursing home love interest from the extras had a shocker. Hopefully none of these characters are recurring in this next season.

Edited by Pastinaak
Oh and his dog. It looks proper distressed.

Watched the first six episodes (out of eight) of Alex Garland's DEVS.

A tech company with a secret department doing profound research with quantum computing that may impact on the whole world. Garland also wrote and directed Ex Machina, another thoughtful discussion of near-future technology. DEVS also shares the same cinematographer, Rob Hardy, so is extraordinarily beautiful. And the sound is fascinating, sometimes reminding me of 2001.

Absolutely loving it so far. The pacing is very, very good. Expect to watch the final two episodes tonight.

It's currently on BBC meaning the ful series is up on iPlayer for easiest access. In the US it was Hulu for anyone there (and has finished).

14 hours ago, Pastinaak said:

Yeah there were enough funny bits to make it watchable but some of the characters were annoying. The main character himself was awful, everyone loves him but for what reason? His dead wife was horrendously grating. The ridiculously nice prostitute was bizarre - as was the ridiculously nice intern at the office. Don't get me started on the annoying old bint on the bench. Even his nursing home love interest from the extras had a shocker. Hopefully none of these characters are recurring in this next season.

It reflects everything I think about Ricky Gervais. 

It has some really poignant, perceptive reflection on the human spirit but behind lurks a really cruel spiteful side. 

The therapist, the class leader, the amateur dramatic society character are all grotesques with few redeeming features and spout alarming thoughts. 

I am not a prude but his constant use of the c word grates on me, even roping two great older actresses into this. 

He does it to shock but it detracts from the programme. 

The dog is great. 

Been binge-watching 'Spooks' over the last couple of weeks. Quite interesting watching just about every member of the original cast (apart from the boss) getting written out of the show in more and more convoluted storylines.

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Been binge-watching 'Spooks' over the last couple of weeks. Quite interesting watching just about every member of the original cast (apart from the boss) getting written out of the show in more and more convoluted storylines.

I managed 2(?) episodes of Spooks but when they killed Lisa Faulkner by shoving her head in a deep fat fryer I quickly decided I didn't want to spend any more time in that world. As you say, they'd have to ramp it up even more, starting off from that. No thanks.

On 26/04/2020 at 14:13, Mostyn6 said:

Just to add to Mostyn’s recommendation Series 3 (6 episodes) was just as good 1 & 2.  Each series is a different cold case, but by the same police team, and I would suggest there is not too much to be lost in terms of character development if you can only find Series 3 at this stage.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Just watched the first episode of Westworld Season 3.

Can anyone tell me what the eff is going on?

When you find out, let me know. I'm three quarters of the way through it and am completely lost, but then again I have had to watch the whole of season 2 again beforehand because I didn't understand that either first time around ?