Watchable telly

dog

I love foreign TV shows and foreign cinema, so I was desperate to like Giri/Haji. But it missed the mark for some reason.

Money Heist is good for one season. It feels fresh and gripping and you can enjoy the dynamic between the Professor and Raquel. But in seasons 2-3, the whole premise becomes stale and well I couldn't even finish season 4.

To be honest, I struggle to find good, serious content on Netflix. They cater much better for a younger audience and for times when you just want to shut your brain off.

Edited by Jourdan

Some suggestions if you have Netflix:

Heavy shows: When They See Us, Unbelievable

Courtroom dramas: Suits, How to Get Away With Murder, The Good Wife

If you need something light to watch with the wife (and secretly enjoy): Love is Blind, The Circle (French version), GLOW

If you liked 13 Reasons Why, you might like: Elite, Baby, Quicksand

If you liked Tiger King, you might like: Don’t duck with Cats

If you like unhinged character centric shows, you might like: You, American Crime Story season 2

If you like American comedy shows, you might like: Atypical, Kominsky Method

Foreign films that I really enjoyed: The Climb, The Invisible Guest, The Platform

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I love foreign TV shows and foreign cinema, so I was desperate to like Giri/Haji. But it missed the mark for some reason.

Money Heist is good for one season. It feels fresh and gripping and you can enjoy the dynamic between the Professor and Raquel. But in seasons 2-3, the whole premise becomes stale and well I couldn't even finish season 4.

To be honest, I struggle to find good, serious content on Netflix. They cater much better for a younger audience and for times when you just want to shut your brain off.

The Break.  Watching it now. It’s awesome. 

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

If you need something light to watch with the wife (and secretly enjoy): Love is Blind, The Circle (French version), GLOW

If you like unhinged character centric shows, you might like: You, American Crime Story season 2

Foreign films that I really enjoyed: The Climb, The Invisible Guest, The Platform

When they see us was brilliant. You seen 7 Seconds? Similar heaviness.

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

My wife and I have just watched the three seasons of Merlí on Netflix. It's Catalan but dubbed in Spanish over here. I don't know if it's available elsewhere but very enjoyable. It's about a philosophy teacher and his sixth form class. Funny in places but also very sad in others. Highly recommend it if available.

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

'You'... Was recommended it,  I squirmed through 2 episodes and its quite possibly the most nauseating, contrived, rip off, grating, stylised pile of pap I have ever seen. 

15 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Might be under a different name. I think its La Treve in Belgium

7 hours ago, richinspain said:

My wife and I have just watched the three seasons of Merlí on Netflix. It's Catalan but dubbed in Spanish over here. I don't know if it's available elsewhere but very enjoyable. It's about a philosophy teacher and his sixth form class. Funny in places but also very sad in others. Highly recommend it if available.

I looked for both on the search function. But neither appeared.

It’s odd how depending on the country or region you are in some shows are available and some are not.

Surely the service should be the same wherever you are.

Thanks for the tips though, guys!

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

When they see us was brilliant. You seen 7 Seconds? Similar heaviness.

When They See Us was fantastic, I agree. So powerful and so moving. I usually have a heart of ice. Nothing moves me. But this made me cry for a good while.

7 Seconds? I’ve just added this to my watchlist. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Edited by Jourdan

7 hours ago, Chester40 said:

'You'... Was recommended it,  I squirmed through 2 episodes and its quite possibly the most nauseating, contrived, rip off, grating, stylised pile of pap I have ever seen. 

Well, in my defence, I did say ‘you might like’...?

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Well, in my defence, I did say ‘you might like’...?

?

Seven Seconds, similarly I watched a couple of episodes and really didn't like it. Trailer and set up were promising..

But I found it very clichéd, with a dodgy script and wooden acting ....should be right up your street ??

16 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I looked for both on the search function. But neither appeared.

It’s odd how depending on the country or region you are in some shows are available and some are not.

Surely the service should be the same wherever you are.

Thanks for the tips though, guys!

Just had a quick search and you're right, it's not available in the UK. It is available in the US, but you would need to get around the location problems.

7 hours ago, Chester40 said:

So many shows are like that. I don't know about 'You' but i remember watching 13 reasons why after a recommendation here - absolutely shocking. Im embarrassed to have watched it. 

Just managed to finish Afterlife 2. It's crap.

They're all crap. Everything's crap.

I remember years ago staying up till tomorrow binge watching the first 3 seasons of 24. God that was so good. 

7 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

So many shows are like that. I don't know about 'You' but i remember watching 13 reasons why after a recommendation here - absolutely shocking. Im embarrassed to have watched it. 

Just managed to finish Afterlife 2. It's crap.

They're all crap. Everything's crap.

I remember years ago staying up till tomorrow binge watching the first 3 seasons of 24. God that was so good. 

I think '13 Reasons' attempted to handle some difficult themes, and was different to most series. 

Yeh, it got clunky at times, was way too drawn out but it just needed to have been distilled down to 5 or 6 episodes. 

I can totally understand why you could dislike it.. It walked a fine line between clichéd, preachy US-teen jock /beauty-fest and hard hitting, story and character-led drama. I still think it worked more than it missed though. 

First series of 24 was the first (and as with all things) and best hit of 'addictive binge-watching'...ohhhh just one more episode.. God I loved it.  It also dropped off a cliff later on, mind. 

@86 Schmokes & a Pancake I have just finished Giri/Haji.

Really enjoyed it in the main. Weird hybrid of solid BBC drama, Japanese action movie, witty dialogue and arty direction. 

Stretched believability at times but the acting, the engaging characters and unusual themes did grab me without truly capturing me. Definitely would recommend it though.