Watchable telly

dog

7 hours ago, ramit said:

Mrs. ramit and I just finished Ripley on Netflix. 

I appreciate that it is not for everyone, the slow pace is however intentional, it is a psychological attack on the viewer, who finds him or herself asking, why am I rooting for this psycho at the same time that I want him punished?  If that was the point of the books, then well done production crew, director, camera operators, set designers and actors, we were indeed left asking questions of ourselves.

Me and Mrs Chester are 6 episodes in.

Its definitely very deliberately paced, shot, acted....the dialogue is very stilted and Scott himself answers everything minimally. 

Mrs Chester keeps saying 'why would he do that' or 'that doesn't make sense', and the choices that he makes are sometimes inexplicable for me too.

It's definitely a series you could recommend to someone and they really don't like it.

I'm in the middle ground. It's slightly too slow for me and whilst I don't mind it not being too accessible I don't really understand his motivations /rationale at times.  

The other characters are quite flimsy at times too so I don't really care what happens to anyone.

Maybe a 7 out of 10 for me, something different but not completely sure there isn't a bit of style over substance at times and without the book/film for context I might have given it a pass.

We have Apple TV free again for 3 months.

Other than Slow Horses (we've seenthe  first two seasons and may watch the third if I give in to Mrs Badger) and Severance, any suggestions?

Is the second season of The Morning Show any good? We enjoyed the first.

And what about the Idris Elba thing?

21 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Other than Slow Horses (we've seenthe  first two seasons and may watch the third if I give in to Mrs Badger) and Severance, any suggestions?

Black Bird and Pachinko would be my top picks, followed by Silo and Lessons in Chemistry.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Loved the first season of The Morning show. Even though I wasn't expecting to. 

Bailed out after about three episodes of season two. 

6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Hijack, Bad Sisters, I liked all seasons of the Morning Show, Masters of the air.

I tried to get into the latest Colin Farrel show, Sugar, but gave up after 1 episode.

I'm currently watching Big Door prize.

Films, Coda, Tetris, Flora and son. 

7 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I really liked these two shows:

https://tv.apple.com/gb/show/kingdom/umc.cmc.5yb8vijqunqakmk8o2i0ublro

https://tv.apple.com/gb/episode/part-one/umc.cmc.1psy8vr48u0x76zzgnb2f86u5?action=playSmartEpisode

Started Black Bird last night. Unsure tbh.

Kinnear is fabulous as always, but it seems too much of a vehicle for the lead to keep getting his shirt off, and I'm not convinced of his acting.

Hoping it gets grittier, but it has a bit of a Reacher feel to me, which I loathed. Hopefully not!

Finished Black Bird recommended by @therealhantsram.

It got a lot better as it went on, and I somewhat changed my stance on Taron Egerton's performance. I know he's quite big now, but I didn't know him other than vaguely and thought he was hammy. But now I think that was probably what was called for with the role.

I'm very glad I trust Hants, because it was really very good.

It's not quite an 8/10 for me, but it's not far off and certainly a solid 7.5/10.

Started Dopesick last night. A promising start.

On 28/04/2024 at 22:20, Comrade 86 said:

Which of the two would you recommend first?

We just started Dopesick and you can dictate our following selection if Mrs Badger doesn't insist we watch Slow Horses third season.

20 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

We just started Dopesick and you can dictate our following selection if Mrs Badger doesn't insist we watch Slow Horses third season.

Possibly We Own This City, but only a marginal preference. Kingdom might not appeal so much to non MMA fans, but it's a good series too. You'll like Dopesick too. I put it up on here when it came out and it's very good.

Edited by Comrade 86

Just started Shardlake … very promising. Enjoyed the books immensely despite being “Tudored” to death at school 🤣

Characters aren’t as my mental picture t the time but it feels right and is very atmospheric. 

Watched “Kin” earlier in the year which was gritty, bloody and well done

I have no idea which provider supplies the above, as I have no idea how to work the remote. This is not because I am a technophobe it’s simply a question of house rules, executive orders or some  new EFL regulation perhaps 🤔 

On 28/04/2024 at 14:28, Bob The Badger said:

I will keep plugging Shrinking. If you fancy something that isn't a gritty crime or drug ring drama 😂

Some fantastic performances and Harrison Ford in particular is brilliant in it

2 hours ago, jono said:

Just started Shardlake … very promising. Enjoyed the books immensely despite being “Tudored” to death at school 🤣

Characters aren’t as my mental picture t the time but it feels right and is very 

I was hoping someone had read the books & started watching the series. I loved the books. It's just a shame C. J. Sansom died last week just before the series started. 

29 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Anyone tried The Tattooist of Auschwitz yet?

Two episodes in and it hasn’t disappointed. One to gird your loins for as it doesn’t shrink from some of the horrors.

Harvey Keitel is excellent as the old man narrating his (true) story.

I'm on episode 5. 

I'll stick with it until the end but I'm not as engaged with it as I thought I would be. 

I'm not keen on the actor that plays the young Keitel, so maybe that's the reason. 

On 04/05/2024 at 13:08, Bob The Badger said:

I've just watched episode 6 of Dopesick and am very much enjoying it. I would have finished the series by now if it wasn't for all the football I'm cramming in whilst I've got a one month Sky Sports pass (on a separate not, I think it says it all about my opinion of the Premier League when I chose the Crewe v Doncaster play off semi final last night over Palace v Man United).