Watchable telly

dog

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

@86 Schmokes & a Pancake I have just finished Giri/Haji.

Really enjoyed it in the main. Weird hybrid of solid BBC drama, Japanese action movie, witty dialogue and arty direction. 

Stretched believability at times but the acting, the engaging characters and unusual themes did grab me without truly capturing me. Definitely would recommend it though. 

It's a wonderful piece of escapism for sure. Glad you liked it.

18 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

@86 Schmokes & a Pancake I have just finished Giri/Haji.

Really enjoyed it in the main. Weird hybrid of solid BBC drama, Japanese action movie, witty dialogue and arty direction. 

Stretched believability at times but the acting, the engaging characters and unusual themes did grab me without truly capturing me. Definitely would recommend it though. 

Engaging characters?

Out of interest, which characters did you find interesting/likeable?

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Engaging characters?

Out of interest, which characters did you find interesting/likeable?

Likeable?...I think that was the point. There was no good/bad.. It was all grey.. Light and dark. The main Japanese cop I actually liked, and his sidekick back in Japan. His Mum was amusing...his wife was brave, loyal but dull..that's life isn't it? I usually find Kelly Mcdonald a little grating too but I warmed to her. The gay character was seriously flawed but still sympathetic at times and amusing. 

Flawed people living imperfect lives. 

(although as someone pointed out though.. The crime boss's daughter was pretty perfect) 

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

?

Seven Seconds, similarly I watched a couple of episodes and really didn't like it. Trailer and set up were promising..

But I found it very clichéd, with a dodgy script and wooden acting ....should be right up your street ??

Shame you didn't stick with it, got better and better.

I thought the acting was great. The lead dodgy cop was brilliant and the mother can do wrong for me after Watchmen.

Loved cop with the beard too and enjoyed him in Ozark after only just watching all of that.

Did you like/watch the Wire at all as I though 7 seconds had some similar elements?

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Shame you didn't stick with it, got better and better.

I thought the acting was great. The lead dodgy cop was brilliant and the mother can do wrong for me after Watchmen.

Loved cop with the beard too and enjoyed him in Ozark after only just watching all of that.

Did you like/watch the Wire at all as I though 7 seconds had some similar elements?

I enjoyed Ozark for most of a series then half way through series 2 I realised it had gone totally ridiculous without any redeeming qualities any more. 

The Wire is brilliant. Watched it all and loved it. Can't see the similarities really..that felt authentic, gritty, very believable. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

When They See Us was fantastic, I agree. So powerful and so moving. I usually have a heart of ice. Nothing moves me. But this made me cry for a good while.

7 Seconds? I’ve just added this to my watchlist. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

I starting to prefer mini-series like When They See Us, Chernobyl and Watchmen these days. Really like it when they set out with a number of episodes and tell a story properly from start to finish, rather than having to always look how they leave things open to make another series.

Maybe that's what makes series like Breaking Bad and The Wire so good as although they were multi-season, the storytelling never felt forced. Felt like they knew where they were going from the start.

Perhaps they study Lost in tv writing school of how not too plan multi-series.

Just now, Chester40 said:

Likeable?...I think that was the point. There was no good/bad.. It was all grey.. Light and dark. The main Japanese cop I actually liked, and his sidekick back in Japan. His Mum was amusing...his wife was brave, loyal but dull..that's life isn't it? I usually find Kelly Mcdonald a little grating too but I warmed to her. The gay character was seriously flawed but still sympathetic at times and amusing. 

Flawed people living imperfect lives. 

(although as someone pointed out though.. The crime boss's daughter was pretty perfect) 

What was there to like about Kenzo? He was a terrible husband, negligent father and an unremarkable detective. There was nothing redeeming about him.

Sarah was an absolute hypocrite - fed her ex to the cops because he cheated on her, but then was more than happy to make advances on a married man and harbour a fugitive.

Rodney’s character just got tiring after a while.

I actually agree with you in that the Tokyo based characters - detective Toshio, the wife Rei and the grandmother were the best characters in the whole show and deserved better.

But honestly by the end, I didn’t really care what happened to any of them.

Just now, Chester40 said:

I enjoyed Ozark for most of a series then half way through series 2 I realised it had gone totally ridiculous without any redeeming qualities any more. 

The Wire is brilliant. Watched it all and loved it. Can't see the similarities really..that felt authentic, gritty, very believable. 

I just watched Ozark all back-to-back which I thinks helps with not noticing things have gone ridiculous.

I thought 7 Seconds was gritty, authentic and believable too. Perhaps I'm just desperate for the Wire again.

Did you watch the Deuce? Enjoyed that.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

What was there to like about Kenzo? He was a terrible husband, negligent father and an unremarkable detective. There was nothing redeeming about him.

Sarah was an absolute hypocrite - fed her ex to the cops because he cheated on her, but then was more than happy to make advances on a married man and harbour a fugitive.

I actually agree with you in that the Tokyo based characters - detective Toshio, the wife Rei and the grandmother were the best characters in the whole show and deserved better.

Kenzo was stoic and had a certain doomed trait that I felt sorry for.

Of course Sarah was a hypocrite, because she was vulnerable.

I did get a bit tired of Rodney's indulgences, which made his semi-redemption more impressive.

45 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

You seem to place a lot of worth on 'likeability'....which doesn't necessarily bother me. 

Relatability is much more important to me. Can I get inside the character and empathise. 

...so, could I ignore people's feelings to get what I want, cut corners at work, cheat, lie to people I care about. ...yet still fundamentally be an ok person, be likeable and interesting? Most people honestly would say yes to both. 

12 minutes ago, enachops said:

The last ever episode of Homeland screened tonight. Outstanding. Although it’s been going for years, and maybe lost its way in the middle series, overall it’s been superb TV. Brilliant acting between Saul and Carrie, the plot reflects reality brilliantly at times. Great stuff. 

Feel for all the people who gave up during series 3 and missed pretty much a new show from series 4 onwards.

I always watch it when it's on Amazon a few months later cos of the adverts on channel 4. Can't wait.

15 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Feel for all the people who gave up during series 3 and missed pretty much a new show from series 4 onwards.

I always watch it when it's on Amazon a few months later cos of the adverts on channel 4. Can't wait.

You won’t be disappointed. Some series end poorly, not this one. Perfect ending and cleverly done, loved it! 

On 03/05/2020 at 14:13, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

It's a wonderful piece of escapism for sure. Glad you liked it.

Had a Lock, Stock feel about it minus the beating to death of anybody with a black phallus. 

And agreeing with others on Homeland.

I wasn't that bothered about this series, but it's back to the best.

Just don't tell me the ending I have enough on trying to stop my sister saying anything and we're trying to binge it this week.

On 03/05/2020 at 14:49, Chester40 said:

The Wire was based on real people and actual events in Baltimore unlike Ozark so that kind of gives it a head start on believability. 

Having said that, it was just incredible. One of my top 5 series of all time.

Ozark season 1 was great. Season 2 was good. Season 3 was meh.