Derbys a s**t hole I want to go home

I can't say I disagree with this article. I commented in a thread a while ago when people were saying PW couldn't attract players that moving to Derby city isn't the most attractive place for a young lad to move his life to.

Its such a shame our city is in major decline, can/will anything be done about it? It has a great football club, great people it deserves some investment.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/21/rundown-dump-named-worst-city-visit-uk-20878606/?ito=facebook|social|metroukfacebook&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2O4TgdgVBmSMSah4CP0jSzobd8kpnSFIlKA_C6qLe9Q90vFi2v-3QEkDk_aem_Adm1k_uJuZ9eaw3ylzy3ymWbq5afTZirhisMtwEU4dz5k8LhKvaAG1Y8lizBqARGBbaM4_GxkqT7wlX0MS60FjpT

6 minutes ago, YouRams said:

I can't say I disagree with this article. I commented in a thread a while ago when people were saying PW couldn't attract players that moving to Derby city isn't the most attractive place for a young lad to move his life to.

Its such a shame our city is in major decline, can/will anything be done about it? It has a great football club, great people it deserves some investment.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/05/21/rundown-dump-named-worst-city-visit-uk-20878606/?ito=facebook|social|metroukfacebook&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2O4TgdgVBmSMSah4CP0jSzobd8kpnSFIlKA_C6qLe9Q90vFi2v-3QEkDk_aem_Adm1k_uJuZ9eaw3ylzy3ymWbq5afTZirhisMtwEU4dz5k8LhKvaAG1Y8lizBqARGBbaM4_GxkqT7wlX0MS60FjpT

Not sure this should be on the DCFC section

19 minutes ago, YouRams said:

https://soresi.co.uk/blog/what-makes-living-in-derby-so-great-3#:~:text=Derby is the perfect destination,Derby has something for everyone.&text=Derby's rich and fascinating heritage dates back to the Roman times.

48 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Living in London now, when people ask me what Derby is like, I tell them Derby-shire is lovely, Derby's a hole. 

Milton Keynes and Hull not forming the bottom two make this list redundant however. 

9 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

Living in London now, when people ask me what Derby is like, I tell them Derby-shire is lovely, Derby's a hole. 

Milton Keynes and Hull not forming the bottom two make this list redundant however. 

As is Portsmouth being in 6th.....every bit as run down as Derby.

41 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Not sure how they've narrowed it down to just hose 25 'large cities', when Bradford, Wakefield, Doncaster, Salford, Sunderland, Wolverhampton, Stoke, Peterborough all have a population bigger than York. In fact, none of these cities were mentioned in the total list of 65.

Oddly (in my opinion), Derby was ranked joint worst for food and drink. Only a year ago, Derby was ranked 7th best city for drinking.

3rd lowest hotel price, joint best for crowds amd parking

Joint worst accommodation, cultural sights, shopping, and ease of getting around, and only 3 cities worse for value for money.

I'd say Derby is no worse than many other small cities. 

The Museum of Making is an internationally award-winning museum.

The Pickford collection is world-renowned for being hosted in the city.

Our engineering past and present is awe-inspiring.

Festivals like Format and Feste attract thousands to the city.

Derbion, not to everyone's tastes, but is an excellent shopping destination.

Darley, Markeaton and Allestree parks all in walking distance, Peaks and Dales a short drive.

Yes, St Peters St had a drug problem, but has improved from 5-10yrs ago. It still needs help, lots of empty shops but no different to any other city.

Huge numbers of homes are being built in the city centre, the Goods Yard is being rebuilt, a new performance venue is imminent, as is a new business school.

It's not perfect, but efforts are being made to improve it and if you are linked to the city, it would be better served by not running it down all the time.

Articles like the Which one are lazy, reductive and usually written by sneering journalists who haven't left London in a decade. So yes, Derby isn't as easy to get around as the capital, and it doesn't have the same level of cultural facilities, perhaps investment in our region that matches what other regions receive would help.

And it's a far better place than Stoke at the very least!

2 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

I'd say Derby is no worse than many other small cities. 

The Museum of Making is an internationally award-winning museum.

The Pickford collection is world-renowned for being hosted in the city.

Our engineering past and present is awe-inspiring.

Festivals like Format and Feste attract thousands to the city.

Derbion, not to everyone's tastes, but is an excellent shopping destination.

Darley, Markeaton and Allestree parks all in walking distance, Peaks and Dales a short drive.

Yes, St Peters St had a drug problem, but has improved from 5-10yrs ago. It still needs help, lots of empty shops but no different to any other city.

Huge numbers of homes are being built in the city centre, the Goods Yard is being rebuilt, a new performance venue is imminent, as is a new business school.

It's not perfect, but efforts are being made to improve it and if you are linked to the city, it would be better served by not running it down all the time.

Articles like the Which one are lazy, reductive and usually written by sneering journalists who haven't left London in a decade. So yes, Derby isn't as easy to get around as the capital, and it doesn't have the same level of cultural facilities, perhaps investment in our region that matches what other regions receive would help.

And it's a far better place than Stoke at the very least!

I agree. Not living in Derby and having undertaken many sports events trips with my children and Uni open day visits to UK cities over the last few years, I agree its no worse than lots of others and much better than many. Most cities have good bits and bad bits and city centres generally are in decline matching the reduced income with increased working from home and people moving out during of post covid. Many cities with large soulless shopping centres have suffered in the areas outside of them. Huge mistake building them. Anyway around Derby is just lovely, its so central and the people are wonderful. If its so bad strange so many ex-players stay in the area. 

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

Its such a shame our city is in major decline

Successive city councils have been guilty of gross incompetence for decades. Essentially, as a city it's become a good place.....to leave.

As much as I love the city I was born in and would never want to leave. I have to agree with the survey, Derby is a dump. Over the years the city elders have allowed what historic buildings we had to be destroyed. Those that remain are never shown at their best.

It hasn't helped that there doesn't appear to be a proper vision of what the city should look like. Going right back to the sixties, any plan there may have been as never been implemented. Over the years the council have allowed a mish-mash of buildings across the city. 

Look at the latest project that is taking place on the former site of the Pennine Hotel. Wouldn't it have been better to build this venue on a main thoroughfare. Instead of tucking it behind the ugly appartment block that as been erected on Victoria Street.

The Market Place is a waste land, when is the Market Hall going to be completed and what and when is something going to be done with the Assembly Rooms?

21 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Any list that ranks Portsmouth a better place for a short break than Manchester, Brighton or Leeds can be safely ignored. 

Wasn't overly enamoured.  More angry people on something, demanding a donation for more, than most places at the end of the evening. 

2 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

As much as I love the city I was born in and would never want to leave. I have to agree with the survey, Derby is a dump. Over the years the city elders have allowed what historic buildings we had to be destroyed. Those that remain are never shown at their best.

It hasn't helped that there doesn't appear to be a proper vision of what the city should look like. Going right back to the sixties, any plan there may have been as never been implemented. Over the years the council have allowed a mish-mash of buildings across the city. 

Look at the latest project that is taking place on the former site of the Pennine Hotel. Wouldn't it have been better to build this venue on a main thoroughfare. Instead of tucking it behind the ugly appartment block that as been erected on Victoria Street.

The Market Place is a waste land, when is the Market Hall going to be completed and what and when is something going to be done with the Assembly Rooms?

They won't repair it but can't knock it down as it's a near perfect example of Brutalist architecture it seems.  No use to anyone, anytime soon.  Was quite a nice building there before it seems that belonged to Erasmus Darwin and a 15th century pub .  There's a plaque in the piss filled car park where it used to be