Congrats from a Wanderer

Hi all,

I just wanted to pop on and say congrats on a successful season and well deserved promotion. I know there's been some ill feeling between fans, mostly on the toxic social media platforms (not helped by a large number of idiots of which we at Bolton have f****** loads). I've scanned through your forum and a few others to regularly to check in on the thoughts of some of our promotion rivals over the season and as forums go, this one is generally positive and full of good and honest opinions. We have another fan called Wanderlust who often peruses the various forums and I feel he is a good fan for honest opinions too. I hope we can join you, I'm sure there's plenty of you hoping we stumble and end up stuck in L1 for at least another year, mainly for the fans who've been making stupid excuses for us not winning points this season. Reality is, you and Pompey were the most consistent teams over the season and thoroughly deserve your promotion, so well done and good luck in the championship next year. With your stadium and fanbase and what your fans have been through (trust me, I know what it feels like too), you deserve some good times now!

All the best gents (and ladies)

Pompey, Derby and Bolton were clearly the best three sides in the division IMO (Peterborough are far too inconsistent), it's a shame that one of us has to go via the playoffs.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Oxford so wouldn't mind seeing them come up, but I think of the four Bolton are most likely, and would be most deserving. 

TBH, of the four, anyone but Peterborough for me. Nothing against the fans, but Ferguson trying to play smart at the potential expense of Burton and Cambridge didn't impress me. Poetic justice that they didn't get the SF they wanted (Barnsley) and instead get a more in-form Oxford who recently battered them 5-0.

Good luck against Barnsley mate 🙂

Don't worry about toxic social media, it's generally not a good barometer of what fans actually think on any given subject.

I've nothing against Bolton and we all know it's been a long journey for Bolton back from near death, and in my view Bolton are club of the top 2 divisions and I would be happy to see you back in the championship again.

Evatt seems a bit whingy, bitchy, throw shade in his comments though.

Thanks guys! I personally am fully on board the Evatt train. He took us over when we had unpaid players, a low wage cap and has got us promoted from league 2 and competing to get back to the championship, bringing on younger players, playing nice football. A lot of our morons suggesting we should sack him if we don't go up but I don't see what that achieves personally, we've got better every year he's been in charge and that's despite losing James Trafford and Conor Bradley last summer who both have played regularly in the premier league this season. I'm dreading that it's Barnsley in the semis, they will limit our away allocation to 2000 again I imagine (but at least we're home 2nd leg this time) and we'll have played them 10 times in 3 seasons after these 2 games (won once and lost twice of the 8 so far) so I expect a nervy tight game. Having thumps Oxford 5-0 a couple of months ago I quite fancied them. We will see! I agree that we're probs the better team of the 4 but we all know that means very little in the playoffs so we need to be on it and hopefully our strikers take their chances when they come. Bet you're all so relieved it's done and dusted and can relax and wait for fixture release day now haha

6 minutes ago, BWFCNick said:

Thanks guys! I personally am fully on board the Evatt train. He took us over when we had unpaid players, a low wage cap and has got us promoted from league 2 and competing to get back to the championship, bringing on younger players, playing nice football. A lot of our morons suggesting we should sack him if we don't go up but I don't see what that achieves personally, we've got better every year he's been in charge and that's despite losing James Trafford and Conor Bradley last summer who both have played regularly in the premier league this season. I'm dreading that it's Barnsley in the semis, they will limit our away allocation to 2000 again I imagine (but at least we're home 2nd leg this time) and we'll have played them 10 times in 3 seasons after these 2 games (won once and lost twice of the 8 so far) so I expect a nervy tight game. Having thumps Oxford 5-0 a couple of months ago I quite fancied them. We will see! I agree that we're probs the better team of the 4 but we all know that means very little in the playoffs so we need to be on it and hopefully our strikers take their chances when they come. Bet you're all so relieved it's done and dusted and can relax and wait for fixture release day now haha

Best of luck ,,, Bolton are a proper football club and you are clearly a proper fan 👏👍

Couple of side notes to add -

My 1 gripe with Evatt is that he is a bad loser and needs more grace when things don't work. I hate excuses and as I've learnt from reading other forums, every set of fans thinks they're hard done by by the referee every week and sometimes just accepting that we didn't take our chances is a better way to learn, move forward and grow.

The other side note is that I live in Stockport, have various friends who are rams around here and have a soft spot for you, especially as someone who went to Uni in Nottingham and developed a great dislike for Forest, mainly over their arrogance in referring to themselves as "the famous club"

Cheers for that, much appreciated - not always easy to pop your head above the parapet after such a tense run-in. Yep, there is always a lot of noise from complete morons and wind up merchants on social media but most folk to you make an effort to speak to are a much more reasonable breed and I think you're right, and for all that we joke about and get frustrated about the wild over-reaction on here, forums generally seem positively calm and reasonable places compared to the likes of Twitter/X !

I'm up in the North West and a few months ago found myself sharing a table in a pub with a Bolton fan and my overall impression was that he just sounded like one of us lot in terms of feeling that you (like us) have currently been playing at a level well below your potential or your natural place in the hierarchy. That wasn't arrogance or conceit, it was simply a reality. Also, sometimes people forget how many clubs have been through a fair bit of trauma including ourselves, Pompey and Bolton. Not quite perhaps as deeply in the s*** as we were but you have been close enough to the precipice to start to think about the unthinkable happening and realising how much your club means to you.

Of the playoff places I have no particular favourite as such but in truth I'd happily see Barnsley miss out, no idea why really. Portsmouth, Derby and Bolton has a decent symmetry about it. You pushed us to the last game and for that alone I'd be happy enough to see you lot again next year, plus it's no distance at all for me for the away game 😉

50 minutes ago, BWFCNick said:

Hi all,

I just wanted to pop on and say congrats on a successful season and well deserved promotion. I know there's been some ill feeling between fans, mostly on the toxic social media platforms (not helped by a large number of idiots of which we at Bolton have f****** loads). I've scanned through your forum and a few others to regularly to check in on the thoughts of some of our promotion rivals over the season and as forums go, this one is generally positive and full of good and honest opinions. We have another fan called Wanderlust who often peruses the various forums and I feel he is a good fan for honest opinions too. I hope we can join you, I'm sure there's plenty of you hoping we stumble and end up stuck in L1 for at least another year, mainly for the fans who've been making stupid excuses for us not winning points this season. Reality is, you and Pompey were the most consistent teams over the season and thoroughly deserve your promotion, so well done and good luck in the championship next year. With your stadium and fanbase and what your fans have been through (trust me, I know what it feels like too), you deserve some good times now!

Thank you . I have not been able to find any congratulations from your manager, nor Ferguson. May be wrong but a little disappointing. I sure out manager would have congratulated a rival if we hadn’t made it.

46 minutes ago, BWFCNick said:

My 1 gripe with Evatt is that he is a bad loser and needs more grace when things don't work. I hate excuses and as I've learnt from reading other forums, every set of fans thinks they're hard done by by the referee every week and sometimes just accepting that we didn't take our chances is a better way to learn, move forward and grow.

The other side note is that I live in Stockport, have various friends who are rams around here and have a soft spot for you, especially as someone who went to Uni in Nottingham and developed a great dislike for Forest, mainly over their arrogance in referring to themselves as "the famous club"

The city ground is so famous they have to tell everyone how famous it is.

1 hour ago, BWFCNick said:

Hi all,

Thanks mate, very classy & to be fair, pretty standard from Bolton fans. Don't really recognise this recent suggestion from some that your fans are anymore entitled than any other big club. Really hoping you make it up through the playoffs - good support with lots of history & like us, had a horrible last few years. On the pitch, I also think you're by far the strongest side - Peterborough have a punchers chance in a one off game but lack depth behind that first XI & are prone to collapse, Barnsley have absolutely shot it & Oxford are tidy enough but a bit lightweight in this company.

Bet Championship are looking forward to Pompey, Derby & potentially Bolton back - probably more so than the Prem relegation teams coming down!! All the best 👍

For the most part, the Trotters fans who have posted on here this season have been sound dudes. Our 'rivalry' goes back to the first ever league match day in 1888, when we played each other and you raced into a 3-0 lead before we pegged you back and eventually ran out 6-3 winners. I'm definitely rooting for Bolton in the playoffs.

Incidentally, my wife's great-great uncle played in that 3-6 game (Walter Raulstone).

6 hours ago, BWFCNick said:

Thanks for checking in, and thanks for your comments! I always liked Ian Evatt, and am glad he is having some success, and would love for you to win the play-offs. In reality most of us are relieved, and delighted that we've got the job done, because I am sure we wouldn't make it through the EFL roulette competition!

My only gripe with Bolton is, having visited there 3 times, it is a bit of a pig to get away from when the match is over! But I can put up with that!

8 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Thanks for checking in, and thanks for your comments! I always liked Ian Evatt, and am glad he is having some success, and would love for you to win the play-offs. In reality most of us are relieved, and delighted that we've got the job done, because I am sure we wouldn't make it through the EFL roulette competition!

My only gripe with Bolton is, having visited there 3 times, it is a bit of a pig to get away from when the match is over! But I can put up with that!

I parked at Tesco's this season and, apart from having to avoid pedestrians leaving the ground, I thought it was relatively easy to get away from especially with the motorway being so close. Certainly easier than Pride Park.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

For the most part, the Trotters fans who have posted on here this season have been sound dudes. Our 'rivalry' goes back to the first ever league match day in 1888, when we played each other and you raced into a 3-0 lead before we pegged you back and eventually ran out 6-3 winners. I'm definitely rooting for Bolton in the playoffs.

Incidentally, my wife's great-great uncle played in that 3-6 game (Walter Raulstone).

Walter Roulstone (1866–1953) was an English footballer who played for Derby County.[2]

William Roulstone was signed in 1886 by Sawley Rangers F.C. Very little is known about Sawley Rangers except they were founder members of the Derbyshire Football Association. Albert Williamson was only at Sawley Rangers for one season, 1886–87. Albert Williamson was on Derby County's books for the one season prior to the start of the Football League, 1887–88.[2][3][4]

Walter Roulstone made his League debut on 8 September 1888, playing at wing–half, at Pike's Lane, the then home of Bolton Wanderers. Derby County defeated the home team 6–3. Walter Roulstone appeared in 21 of the 22 League matches played by Derby County in season 1888–89. As a wing-half (20 appearances) he played in a midfield that achieved big (three–League–goals–or–more) wins on three separate occasions.[3]

He was the first player to make 100 league appearances with Derby County. His brother Frank was also a footballer. Although Derby County had had a poor season (1888–89), Roulstone was retained to play alongside the more experienced professionals being brought in during the close season in 1889. Roulstone stayed with Derby County for seven seasons leaving in 1894. He played 118 games becoming the First Derby County player to play 100 games for the club. He went to local non-league club Heanor Town in 1895.[5]

6 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Walter Roulstone (1866–1953) was an English footballer who played for Derby County.[2]

William Roulstone was signed in 1886 by Sawley Rangers F.C. Very little is known about Sawley Rangers except they were founder members of the Derbyshire Football Association. Albert Williamson was only at Sawley Rangers for one season, 1886–87. Albert Williamson was on Derby County's books for the one season prior to the start of the Football League, 1887–88.[2][3][4]

Walter Roulstone made his League debut on 8 September 1888, playing at wing–half, at Pike's Lane, the then home of Bolton Wanderers. Derby County defeated the home team 6–3. Walter Roulstone appeared in 21 of the 22 League matches played by Derby County in season 1888–89. As a wing-half (20 appearances) he played in a midfield that achieved big (three–League–goals–or–more) wins on three separate occasions.[3]

He was the first player to make 100 league appearances with Derby County. His brother Frank was also a footballer. Although Derby County had had a poor season (1888–89), Roulstone was retained to play alongside the more experienced professionals being brought in during the close season in 1889. Roulstone stayed with Derby County for seven seasons leaving in 1894. He played 118 games becoming the First Derby County player to play 100 games for the club. He went to local non-league club Heanor Town in 1895.[5]

I knew you wouldn’t leave a Roulstone unturned.