Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

2 hours ago, r4derby said:

With the injuries currently throughout the squad, we’ve stumbled onto a formation that surprisingly works quite well. Collo getting another weeks training helps. Joe Ward is a wing wizard with an eye for goal. CBT looks like an actual player too. NML looks the odd one out though, not quite working through the middle (not that I’m suggesting he’s dropped, he’s still good, just maybe a bit injured?)

Defence has survived 2 matches without anymore injuries. 1 to go until Sonny the headless is back.

Oddly thought Ward looked his best slotting into the ‘10’ role last night, he seemed to interchange with NML on that right hand side and both goals came from him floating in the middle. 

Might be the three attackers behind the striker swap and change in the game depending on what the opposition defends with.

26 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Wycombe, the only club in England that has more car parks than Hemel Hempstead has roundabouts.

I'm hoping that Peterborough's feud with Wycombe kicks off big style at the weekend - extra time, injuries galore, a mass brawl in the Royal Box during which Couhig gets a hole punched in his Stetson.

And a few sending offs for good measure 

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Wycombe going to have issues with the EFL now too. Can't believe they scheduled their cup final just a few days after a cup final.

Joking aside, you've made a great point there. These little teams generally see us as their big games of the season, giving them that little extra effort.

Wednesdays match will arrive 3 days after their biggest game in their history, a chance to win some silverware. They should be emotionally and possibly physically drained come Wednesday.

We'll need to tear into them from the first minute.

25 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Joking aside, you've made a great point there. These little teams generally see us as their big games of the season, giving them that little extra effort.

Wednesdays match will arrive 3 days after their biggest game in their history, a chance to win some silverware. They should be emotionally and possibly physically drained come Wednesday.

We'll need to tear into them from the first minute.

What you wrote makes perfect sense. However, this is Wycombe. They would be in the Champions League semi final, if it hadn't been for Clowes and Warne and all their cheating. Yes, a trophy would be nice. But hell hath no fury like a chair scorned 2 seasons before they went down.

With us having a longer break than them & them having a cup final on Sunday on a big pitch vs a good footballing team I would hope with our team we go there on Weds and run all over them & kill them with our pace & energy.

Depending on Ward's fitness I would expect the same starting 11. I have a feeling that 1 or maybe 2 of Forsyth, Bird & Barkhuizen may make the bench. It is getting to the point of the season where I think Warne might take a risk with injuries if needed, such as Forsyth as we have not first team defender on the bench. 

Edited by DCFC1388

Ok so if Wycombe lose against P'boro, Couhig will threaten to sue the EFL who in turn will move it onto us as having two cup finals in under a week indicates malicious intent from Derby, somehow. Hopefully points wont be deducted.

First 20 and last 20 could be key for Derby, high intensity first up they could roll over in a fashion not too dissimilar to 'after the Lord Mayor's show', and no matter what I anticipate they will drop right off last 20, as post final emotional and physical fatigue sets in. Decent sized pitch is Wembley, takes some running around I bet. Good game management to take advantage of these and it could be a good evening.

On my plotter to promotion this is the one we draw out of our 3 wins 1 draw and 1 defeat, (including the Pompey game), so as we got the draw result in the Portsmouth game, it makes this another free hit in my eyes. Although winning the last 3 is a bit of an ask.

Anyway.

Does anyone know what this fabled and sold out carpark looks like?

Assuming that Ward is fit then we must go with the same team, we’ll have a lot more possession v Wycombe and I think we’ll take advantage of a post-Wembley side with nothing left to play for.

And I hope that our fans remind their Chairman what we think about him!

Edited by Seth's left foot

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Ok so if Wycombe lose against P'boro, Couhig will threaten to sue the EFL who in turn will move it onto us as having two cup finals in under a week indicates malicious intent from Derby, somehow. Hopefully points wont be deducted.

First 20 and last 20 could be key for Derby, high intensity first up they could roll over in a fashion not too dissimilar to 'after the Lord Mayor's show', and no matter what I anticipate they will drop right off last 20, as post final emotional and physical fatigue sets in. Decent sized pitch is Wembley, takes some running around I bet. Good game management to take advantage of these and it could be a good evening.

On my plotter to promotion this is the one we draw out of our 3 wins 1 draw and 1 defeat, (including the Pompey game), so as we got the draw result in the Portsmouth game, it makes this another free hit in my eyes. Although winning the last 3 is a bit of an ask.

Anyway.

Does anyone know what this fabled and sold out carpark looks like?

Dog Estacionar GIF by DevX Art

11 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Adams Park Stadium

Wednesday, April 10th – Kick-Off: 19.45

Still a full week to go before another match to savour, this time against a club who can sensibly lay claim to having the greatest car park in all of football. So, what is there to say about L1’s perennial not-so-nearly men? Well, they have a fantastic chairman don’t they! Who else would be magnanimous enough to name their ground after our legendary midfield destroyer, Ebou? More to the point, how did he even know Ebou was coming to Derby? Clever chap, I suppose, which is probably why he now owns more ambulances than the NHS. As for Wycombe the town, well some brief research shows that Wycombe is notable only for being surrounded by places that are not dumps. Also, for weighing its mayors to see whether they have been getting rich on the public pound. Oh, The Cornetto Trilogy too, for any Hot Fuzz fans out there.

Moving onto Wycombe FC, well what can I say?

No, really, what can I say?

Oh, alright then! Their Wiki bio states that Wycombe Wanderers Football Club is an English professional association football club based in the town of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. Founded in 1887, they entered the Southern League in 1896. Despite being around forever though, they’ve won the square root of feck all and in 137 years, have only managed to accrue around 7,000 supporters. I’m no maths whizz, but by utilising my trusty abacus, I’ve calculated that at their current rate of growth, they will hit Derby levels of support in only 508.86 years. Something to look forward to, then.

Key Threats
Well they are two-fold and to be taken seriously; firstly, there’s the threat of legal action and secondly, there’s a very real possibility that they’ll attempt to hoof half our team into the stands. Fortunately for us, we’ve already paid them out, so they’re now feasting on the bones of other clubs in financial strife. Also, their stands are tiny and their team is rubbish, so if any Wycombe player does attempt to half-volley Liam Thomson into the North Stand, he’ll probably miss it altogether.

On the pitch, after a seriously deep dive, the only threats I’ve come up with are Luke Leahy who has amassed 8 goals and 6 assists this season from @40 starts, Dale Taylor with 5 and Joseph Low with 4. I was going to visit their forum to try to discern some interesting insider titbits for you lot; team strategy, injuries, pie quality and the like, but I immediately realised I’d rather eat my own vomit, so I didn’t bother. Feel free to have a gander yourselves though.

The Team
I think we’ll likely see the same starting 11, or very close to it. Fortunately, we now have the aforementioned Ebou Adams, so when they kick us, he’ll kick them back. Several times each, probably. That said, I think if we play our own game and don’t get sucked into Wycombe’s peculiar brand of anti-football, we may well win and win well.

And sadly, that’s all folks, as the pub beckons and in truth, I’d not really counted on us getting past both Blackpool and Pompey and have nothing else prepared. A final note though, for away supporters looking for things to do before and after the game, might I recommend a trip to Henley, Marlow or Windsor instead?

COYR
BE MORE B4

I clicked on most popular discussions.  They are currently carpooling and the traffic on match days.  A day at Wembley and these are the main topics, I s*** you not.  Seems like the most boring fanbase on  earth need more parking spaces to serve their car bothering fetish. 

Whatever anyone says, this is a tricky game. We couldn’t beat Wycombe at home, why should we expect to beat them away?? They are no mugs. We lost there last season, after all.

A win here would be a massive boost though. So, would I take a draw right now?? No. We can and maybe should win. But nothing is guaranteed. They would love to beat us, and may be on a high after Sunday. The uncertainty is why we turn up every week though, right??

Nervous about this game because Wycombe are the kind of side to stifle us but I just want us to play with purpose and go for it because us at our best are too good for them at there best , same side , go at them and get the job done in the first half, then just play sensibly in the second half but don't sit back, they would absolutely love to see us bottle it against them so hopefully we don't....3 points here would be massive at this stage of the season 

5 hours ago, DB83 said:

Whatever anyone says, this is a tricky game. We couldn’t beat Wycombe at home, why should we expect to beat them away?? They are no mugs. We lost there last season, after all.

A win here would be a massive boost though. So, would I take a draw right now?? No. We can and maybe should win. But nothing is guaranteed. They would love to beat us, and may be on a high after Sunday. The uncertainty is why we turn up every week though, right??

I agree we shouldn’t assume it will be easy BUT, it’s more than three months since we played them at home and, whilst it was a less than convincing performance, it took a penalty in the 98th minute to deny us all three points. Also, football isn’t as simple as that. We beat Posh away but they played us off the park at our place, we lost to Oxford at home but, apart from the first 15 minutes, I seem to recall we were the better team at their place (although we did leave it late to get the goals). I’m sure there are more examples. Last season they were on the fringes of the play offs for part of the season I think whereas this year they are nothing more and nothing less than mid table.

I’m obviously hoping for a comfortable win but fear a hard battle and potential dent to our push for the autos. A lot may depend on their Wembley exploits. Will it take a lot out of them or will they still be riding high and full of confidence? Will they win on Sunday but still be suffering from a hangover on Wednesday or will they lose and come at us with a point to prove? There really is no telling.

I expect Bolton will be a point behind by the time we play this game. Anything else will be a pleasant surprise. Hence, I feel this is a must win game, not a “must not lose” game. Anything but three points and it’s out of our hands and a massive boost to Bolton. We need to to go into every game like it’s the playoff final from now. I’m sure that’s obvious to Warne and the lads. 

38 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Has anyone at the Club mentioned that Ward is injured?

Sorry- may have just missed this somehow ..:🤷

In his post match interview Warne said something along the lines of they’d given Ward some painkilling injections at half time but by the time they’d taken him off he was in a lot of discomfort so they’d have to see how he was. Can’t remember his exact words but that’s what I took from it. 

EDIT - had a look and it’s around a minute into this clip,

Warne said “unfortunately Wardy we thought we’d have to take him off, we had to jab him up at half time like a pin cushion but he got through another 25 mins but he blew up so we’ll have to see how he is”….whats odd is I think it’s Ward doing a warm down back and forth on the pitch behind Warne 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

7 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

I expect Bolton will be a point behind by the time we play this game. Anything else will be a pleasant surprise. Hence, I feel this is a must win game, not a “must not lose” game. Anything but three points and it’s out of our hands and a massive boost to Bolton. We need to to go into every game like it’s the playoff final from now. I’m sure that’s obvious to Warne and the lads. 

All true, but it's even more of a must win for Bolton first, not just to prevent themselves falling further behind us, but they still have Pompey and Peteboro to play in their final 5 games.

In Bolton's last 5 games, they've won 2, drew 2 and lost 1. They may go on a win all 5, making it 6 wins on the row to finish with, but they aren't exactly in the type of form that suggests they will do that, especially with 2 top teams left to play (Peteboro might be resting by final game though).

Based on both our recent and longer term results, winning our 4 seems much more doable, based on who we are playing. Wycombe away is toughest game, but their Cup final tips it more in our favour. Cambridge will probably be safe on final day too.

4 teams 10th and below, probably with nothing to play for, is an attractive set of fixtures.

I moved to Canada in June 2023. It's been a great move for me, but apart from family my connection home has been through Derby County. I wish I saw more games during this season, but I've done a lot of hungover early starts to watch us grind out the wins that got us into this position.

And here we are. Portsmouth away seemed very significant. It's poetic in my own personal way that Derby will get promoted in the first season I can't go to any games. But from thousands of miles away, I finally feel a bit of confidence.

Long story short - This Wycombe car park ambulance chasing lot made me hate a lot of modern football, and I'd love to turn these over and tell the football world we are back.

As a Brit now in Canada following on and loving every second of this season...

We're going to win this one. Quote me, screenshot me, @ me.

And we're getting f****** promoted.

12 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

With us having a longer break than them & them having a cup final on Sunday on a big pitch vs a good footballing team I would hope with our team we go there on Weds and run all over them & kill them with our pace & energy.

Depending on Ward's fitness I would expect the same starting 11. I have a feeling that 1 or maybe 2 of Forsyth, Bird & Barkhuizen may make the bench. It is getting to the point of the season where I think Warne might take a risk with injuries if needed, such as Forsyth as we have not first team defender on the bench. 

Thought Fozzy was out for the season?

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

In his post match interview Warne said something along the lines of they’d given Ward some painkilling injections at half time but

So my physio friend (who used to work at Leighton Orient) says these days they wouldn’t do that if it’s a soft tissue issue. She thought most likely a knock on the bone which was tender and would settle down in just a few days.  Anyway, fingers crossed - he’s become an important part of the balance we’ve found in the last 4 or 5 games