Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

Let's just smash these jobbers. Tin pot nonsense club that have taken up too much of our attention over the last few seasons. Just batter them and leave them where they are. Our natural level is far beyond theirs, let's get that rectified.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

18 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Our best balanced side of the current ilk, that is one that sets up with a back 4 would contain the likes of Nyambe, Fozzy and Gayle upfront IMO, so I beg to differ. If you could point out my last post relating to your negativity, I'd be obliged, as in all honesty, I'm not aware of interacting with you much at all this season, a scenario that's probably served both of us quite well.

I post a gentle reference to Portsmouth’s most famous son, and you and Clint Eastwood hold me out to public ridicule on the forum. I have been a gibbering wreck for days. 

You seem to think I’m in the camp that believes that we have found the best starting X1 only because of injuries. I’m not. If you look at my post more carefully you’ll see I’m saying simply that it has taken us far too long to settle on a balanced and effective startling line up. I think for example that this season we’ve overused Hourihane massively, overplayed NML, mis-used Fozzie (I agree with your assessment of him of course), underplayed Barkhuizen, Ward, Fornah (maybe) and Wilson and possibly underplayed Tommo. Dropping Wildsmith was obviously just weird but let’s assume there were other things going on. I also agree with you that Nyambe is a useful and good footballer but I’m not sure - even if fit - that he should start right now.  

The costly error imo - you can debate this of course - has been to accommodate Hourihane in the starting line up. I’ll be astonished if - having seen how much better we are without him - he ever starts again. That took 38 games ! I think a lot of people will be posting about that if we don’t go up 

7 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I post a gentle reference to Portsmouth’s most famous son, and you and Clint Eastwood hold me out to public ridicule on the forum. I have been a gibbering wreck for days. 

You seem to think I’m in the camp that believes that we have found the best starting X1 only because of injuries. I’m not. If you look at my post more carefully you’ll see I’m saying simply that it has taken us far too long to settle on a balanced and effective startling line up. I think for example that this season we’ve overused Hourihane massively, overplayed NML, mis-used Fozzie (I agree with your assessment of him of course), underplayed Barkhuizen, Ward, Fornah (maybe) and Wilson and possibly underplayed Tommo. Dropping Wildsmith was obviously just weird but let’s assume there were other things going on. I also agree with you that Nyambe is a useful and good footballer but I’m not sure - even if fit - that he should start right now.  

The costly error imo - you can debate this of course - has been to accommodate Hourihane in the starting line up. I’ll be astonished if - having seen how much better we are without him - he ever starts again. That took 38 games ! I think a lot of people will be posting about that if we don’t go up 

I think there is an awful lot of '20-20 hindsight' that even then you still aren't sure about.

Could also be argued that is what a manager does. He changes horses for courses, plays people who are in form and gives players the chance but doesn't just persist with them if they aren't doing it. If we finish 2nd he's been proved right on all counts in my opinion. 

It's also inevitable that if we don't go up the inquest will begin and everyone will do what you've done and say 'Hourihane and NML played too much', and various other players didn't play enough. Possibly that he didn't get the right striker in and signed too many injury-prone players and kept going to a back 5.

Whereas if we go up then everyone will say he did what was expected and move on.

Tis the way of the world. 

Having come so far now I'd probably give him next season regardless- obviously if be Xmas we are struggling in whatever league we are in, then he'll be gone.

Wycombe got what they deserved. 10 men behind the ball all game until Posh score, then suddenly they remember they're in a game. Posh weren't great, not by a stretch, but they at least tried to play some football. Wycombe will approach our game the same. They'll sit deep and wait for us to cough up the ball in bad areas. They created absolutely nothing all game.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Was it an OG?

👀

Were you watching? Here you go. I'll endeavour not to be so literal in future, but one shot on target in each half and their goal the result of a 40 yard hoof into the box doesn't constitute creative football for me.

image.thumb.png.e5e2aaff294a1506f0c95fbd30a4769a.png

Edited by Comrade 86

I hope no matter what, we come out fighting against this bunch of thugs, this is a huge test for us, they will kick and scrap and play by the league one outhouse rules, we need to fight and match them, then we will earn the right to play and our quality should shine through, but we HAVE to match their work rate before we can play.....massive game come on you mighty Rams!

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Wycombe got what they deserved. 10 men behind the ball all game until Posh score, then suddenly they remember they're in a game. Posh weren't great, not by a stretch, but they at least tried to play some football. Wycombe will approach our game the same. They'll sit deep and wait for us to cough up the ball in bad areas. They created absolutely nothing all game.

Exactly what we will have to face next game. Man, we need an early goal and/or a stroke of luck ..

29% possession yet still managed 12 shots... Posh just 18 from their 71%. 5 on target between them and one of those was an overhit cross that sailed into the top left hand corner in the 91st minute to decide the game...

I will finally believe if we can beat Wycombe. We seriously need to, we need to get out this league so I can forget about Wycombe ever existing. 

38 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

29% possession yet still managed 12 shots... Posh just 18 from their 71%. 5 on target between them and one of those was an overhit cross that sailed into the top left hand corner in the 91st minute to decide the game...

12 shots, only one of which forced the keeper to make a save. Posh also had 10 shots blocked to Wycombe's 2 and 27 touches in the Wycombe area vs 13. They also forced 15 corners compared to their Wycombe's 2.

Wycombe won more aerial battles and that's probably a significant stat and with that in mind, we'll need someone picking up Forino, who was dominant at both ends. He'll be a threat. We'll also need to keep an eye on Leahy who is dangerous from both from open play and free kicks. Considering the size of them, I thought Wycombe went down pretty easily, under even minimal contact and the referee bought most, if not all of it. How Posh ended up conceding 11 free kicks to Wycombe's 8 is something of a mystery to me, but again, it's something we need to be mindful of as I think their principal threat against us will arise from set pieces. Calm heads required.