Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

Not gonna comment on today's game, largely because I spent the afternoon on a long walk round Barton Under Needwood (did listen on Talksport2). 

However we know we are inconsistent so this wasn't totally unexpected and it doesn't mean we are going to be awful on Friday.   We've  lack fluidity all season but we are resilient at the back and can often nick a goal or two - it's just that when  we don't there's no "well at least we played well" to fall back on. 

May as well stay behind them for now and have tke inquest at the end of the season.

Edited by trappatoni

3 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Think you’re being generous. No way we get a point at Wycombe and can easily see a draw at Cambridge if we play like we did today. No more than 86 points I think. 

Optimistic 😉 

32 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sibleys not done much wrong, Should be played further up though, probably as that 10 seeing as we have no forwards who can shoot on target or avoid offsides now. 

He’s gotten better at LWB agreed but he’s not good enough upfront, certainly when CBT has come in for a decent fee and had very good statistics for Charlton earlier this season.

Warne’s problem in my opinion is that he never seems to get the midfield right, how on earth did he think that Thompson could play as a deep lying number 10 when he’s basically just an ankle biter.

11 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

He’s gotten better at LWB agreed but he’s not good enough upfront, certainly when CBT has come in for a decent fee and had very good statistics for Charlton earlier this season.

Warne’s problem in my opinion is that he never seems to get the midfield right, how on earth did he think that Thompson could play as a deep lying number 10 when he’s basically just an ankle biter.

How do you know that? He's scored some good goals but never gets a run in the same position that isn't as defender.

2 hours ago, Warren Blufitt said:

Well to be fair last week shouldn’t have gone to your heads because you were largely outplayed. If anything it should have been at best a point but fair enough you got the winner whilst Wanderers missed their chances. That should have sent warning signals to the players not celebrations. At this time of the season you can only expect the unexpected, just like today. There’s a lot of ups and downs to go yet as nerves start to kick in but certainly today’s unexpected defeat opens the door to second spot again. It’s going to be a very interesting month now and that 4 point cushion isn’t anything like the 7 it could have been but you still do have a cushion and it’s still in your own hands so the players just have to keep their nerve and deliver.

Sorry mate not for your lot it doesn’t; you’re as much bottlejobs as we are and I can see you getting done at Stevenage next Friday. The only team I think have any momentum is Peterborough at the moment, who incidentally were best team I’ve seen at Pride Park this season. I don’t know how our season is going to pan out now; I have had the stuffing knocked out of me by todays result and wouldn’t be surprised if we end up falling out of the top two and getting done in the playoffs, because I honestly don’t know which Derby team is going to turn up, game after game. 

35 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

I've heard this saying since the early 70s, I'd sooner call it "lack of strength of character" Our Captain in Hourihane isn't what I'd call inspiring, Our giant centre half lost what bottle he had, Other than that I see a squad out there today...leaderless.

We have no spine and when I say that it's strength right down the middle of the team, Adams who's been pretty good since he signed can't do it all himself, I've seen their goal...wow, Our CH playing right back...ball comes to a player on his own, Hits it 1st time and our keeper is flatfooted and we're 1-0 down, Still chances were there...easier than the one Northampton had...but we failed to take them.

Injuries are now piling up, Thank fcuk we hopefully have Collins back on Friday otherwise I see it like this.

Blackpool 1 pt

Portsmouth 0 pts

Wycombe 1 pt

Last 3 games our injuries should be OK...so I'll go with this

Orient 3 pts

Cambridge 3 pts

Carlisle 3 pts 

So 89 points...it's gonna be close 😬

For no particular reason I see us nicking a point at Pompey.

34 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Horrible game.

Just nothing went right. Bradley was so poor today,  won't be missed on that showing.

No intensity,  no guile... I've been defensive of Warne's tactics but today there really was too much aimless hoofball.

Passing across the back 3 to wing backs who were as deep as a full back would be.. launching it when we didn't really have out and out wingers who could take advantage.  Sloppy passing. 

And brain-meltingly bad ref-ing. Pathetic s**t-housing, diving, staying down etc that was appallingly handled by the ref.

Another really bad performance, similar to a few others. When we are bad,  we are abject.

Needs a massive change for the next 3 difficult games.

Ooohh Chester!!! You shouldn't have done that!!! How dare you criticise the match officials - this is a football forum. If it helps, I have a range of tin hats you could borrow, if you think one would help!