Match Thread: vs Northampton Town (a)

Truly awful performance, up there with some of the others this season. 

From the ko Wildsmith played a terrible pass and it continued. 

Bradley less said the better, as comfortable on the ball as Albentso, last time we may possibly see him. 

Adams looked tired, is ramadam playing a big part in someone who's asked to get around the pitch, we should see a different player again soon hopefully. 

Still points to play for but this has cranked up the pressure, can they handle it I'm not sure, Friday is a must win if we want top 2. A win yesterday and I was pretty certain we would go up top 2 now I'm on the fence. 

Onwards we go, it's going to be a roller-coaster that's for sure. 

There were Booos from us away fans when Adams was subbed . I don’t think any player was better than a 5 yesterday . Cashin’s marking for the goal was no where near good enough for Lg1 never mind the Championship . He also gave Wildsmith a rollicking when  he gave a late corner away himself . 

7 minutes ago, falconram said:

Adams looked tired, is ramadam playing a big part in someone who's asked to get around the pitch, we should see a different player again soon hopefully

Good observation there, and that might explain his substitution.

As fans we don't always know the reasons behind early substitutions at the time.

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Good observation there, and that might explain his substitution.

As fans we don't always know the reasons behind early substitutions at the time.

Message to Paul Warne "Please will you take Waghorn to see an optamologist to have his eyes tested before allowing him onto the football pitch again,and secondly on Monday morning or when the team are in for training Waghorn needs practice in shooting at goal because he couldnt hit a barn door at 10 yards.Hope he never gets to take a penalty

To many players off form to win a match, there goal came from a certain free kick on Wilson, still in our hands, like others have said Blackpool is massive now, lets get PP sold out and rocking like Bolton, and we will have every chance of the 3 points, we new deep down it was not going tp be straight forward, it never is with Derby I am afraid, but keep the faith, everything to play for starting good Friday. 

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Why didn't we play in white?

Not sure, but isn't it a "keep fans happy" kind of thing, or maybe even in a contract somewhere?

Minimum number of games to be played in second (aka "away") and third shirts?  🤷‍♂️

Anyone got any moving reel of this "alleged" head butt?

Not looking to condone and/or glorify the incident of course (perish the thought!), but it's off screen on the two highlight versions I've seen (Sky & DCFC)?

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

I think the (narrow) pitch was quite cleverly prepared to play into their hands. It was bobbly and seemed very slow, so it was difficult for us to find weight of pass. That led us to resort to route A and that’s a leveller despite that we had more quality on the pitch

Yeah let’s blame the pitch for the fact we were absolute s**** lol 

46 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Message to Paul Warne "Please will you take Waghorn to see an optamologist to have his eyes tested before allowing him onto the football pitch again,and secondly on Monday morning or when the team are in for training Waghorn needs practice in shooting at goal because he couldnt hit a barn door at 10 yards.Hope he never gets to take a penalty

You mean like the 21 he has scored in his career? Perhaps age is catching up with him but I think I’d trust him from the penalty spot.

42 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Very poor performance from everyone, I can't think of one player who shouldn't be disappointed with his own performance.

On the subject of Waggy, his recent awful finishes have both come quickly to him on his 'wrong' foot, I've seen him score with his wrong foot but they've been when he's had time to think about it. I wonder why modern footballers who are coached at the highest level from a very early age aren't coached to be comfortable with both feet, maybe it's not possible to coach a player to be instinctive with both feet?

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

Very poor performance from everyone, I can't think of one player who shouldn't be disappointed with his own performance.

On the subject of Waggy, his recent awful finishes have both come quickly to him on his 'wrong' foot, I've seen him score with his wrong foot but they've been when he's had time to think about it. I wonder why modern footballers who are coached at the highest level from a very early age aren't coached to be comfortable with both feet, maybe it's not possible to coach a player to be instinctive with both feet?

The player I think is the most one footed (not literally of course) is Nyambe. If the opposition manager does his home work it can cause a problem. Having a player that is equally comfortable with either foot is a rare luxury.

Warne stumbled across a system due to having Gayle up top and we seemed to have started to play more freely and passed it better and mixed our game up more ..yesterday all I saw from any forwards was looking to run in behind hence encouraging a long ball which invariably found a Northampton shirt a lot of the time 

without Gayle who to me is a class above any strikers we have I fear more of what we saw yesterday 

we are now hoping that Collo will make a difference….i saw yesterday as a massive game for us and reading pre match posts I know a lot of others did too….but when it matters we didn’t turn up and the football ( if you can it that ) was truly horrible …let’s get it right …whether pitch was too narrow too small too bobbly etc etc …Northampton are a poor side …the amount of missed passes and general hoofs out of play from them was of a poor standard …a massive opportunity missed and not for the first time ….this is what makes me fear the play offs ….we have to go up in autos and we now have 6 massive games. 
can we do it? Of course you never know in football but what I do know is…anymore performances like yesterday and I think we can kiss the autos goodbye and then might have to look forward to another season in this s**** division where I think the standard will be better next season …so 6 games !!

let’s hope Warne can look at it like a 6 game season now and get us over the line ….but we shall see….COYR 

1 hour ago, Malagaram said:

you can copy & paste this for a lot of players, i pray we move on from old over the hill players in the summer regardless of what division we are in. as i mentionedf yesterday our foundations are built of sand, every year we are going to need a rebuild there is nothing long term about our plan

Edited by alram

19 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Warne stumbled across a system due to having Gayle up top and we seemed to have started to play more freely and passed it better and mixed our game up more ..yesterday all I saw from any forwards was looking to run in behind hence encouraging a long ball which invariably found a Northampton shirt a lot of the time 

without Gayle who to me is a class above any strikers we have I fear more of what we saw yesterday 

we are now hoping that Collo will make a difference….i saw yesterday as a massive game for us and reading pre match posts I know a lot of others did too….but when it matters we didn’t turn up and the football ( if you can it that ) was truly horrible …let’s get it right …whether pitch was too narrow too small too bobbly etc etc …Northampton are a poor side …the amount of missed passes and general hoofs out of play from them was of a poor standard …a massive opportunity missed and not for the first time ….this is what makes me fear the play offs ….we have to go up in autos and we now have 6 massive games. 
can we do it? Of course you never know in football but what I do know is…anymore performances like yesterday and I think we can kiss the autos goodbye and then might have to look forward to another season in this s**** division where I think the standard will be better next season …so 6 games !!

let’s hope Warne can look at it like a 6 game season now and get us over the line ….but we shall see….COYR 

Warne sees it as 12 halves of football; to me that means utilising his squad so they “gas out”. Problem we have to overcome is the number of injuries in key areas that might not make that possible 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

There were Booos from us away fans when Adams was subbed . I don’t think any player was better than a 5 yesterday . Cashin’s marking for the goal was no where near good enough for Lg1 never mind the Championship . He also gave Wildsmith a rollicking when  he gave a late corner away himself . 

That was because Wildsmith had plenty of time to claim that long ball. His starring position wasn't too far off where it bounced in the box. Instead, he backed off, forcing Cashin to deal woth it instead.

Wildsmith distribution is generally poor and slow. Until we are chasing the game, then he releases the ball quickly. A few occasions yesterday, he had a simple wide pass on to Wilson or Ward and he chose to just hoof it long and we lost possession. Yes, he’s a definitely gained us points this season (and lost them) but I find his slowing down of the game until everyone is in position (including the opposition) infuriating at times. 

Obviously very disappointing, buckling yet again when having the opportunity to pull away and put one foot in the Championship.

Warne's substitutions prioritised experience over energy, which seemed the wrong approach. I get that Adams was having an off day, but still twice he came closest to scoring. Sibs always has a goal in him whatever position Warne puts him in, as well as picking out Waghorn with an amazing ball, only for it to be smashed over. We had to keep Adams on and move Sibley into a more advanced role. And as I said at the start of the thread, I'd have had Weston on the bench for a youthful attacking option, given our lack of strikers. 

I've watched and rewatched the highlights. Was it really a headbutt from Bradley (I couldn't see anything) or yet more gamesmanship from the opposition? People on here saying he was a fool - was he, or just a victim? 

For their goal, Wilson was probably fouled, Bradley should probably have stopped the cross, and Wildsmith should probably have been better positioned to come and claim the cross. 

Never easy being a Ram, as the injuries stack up.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I totally understand your take after watching the game, but the reality was long balls were 15% of the total passes, which is again similar to our average for the season (only Bolton, Peterborough and Wigan play fewer long balls per game than us) and accuracy was 72%, only marginally below our seasonal average of 73% (so not great, but not unusual either). I think the difference was the pitch - both the bobbly surface and the apparent narrowness of it, which @Owen87ITK and Barks mentioned several times as a restricting factor, made control difficult and helped slow down our play. Without Bird, I think trying to play through such a blanket defence on that surface could have been even more frustrating than watching us trying to play passes behind the defence and failing, as we often did.

My point was more than the passes that reached their team mates just weren’t good enough. No momentum being built because they were constantly having to stretch to get the ball or turn and run back to get it after it was played 5 yards behind them. The pitch didn’t look great but it’s the same pitch for both teams isn’t it? 

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Wildsmith deserved that rollicking. He started coming to get it. Was clear favourite to get it and then ran back leaving cash to deal with it and it took a bad bounce and hit him and went out for a corner.

On 18/03/2024 at 22:56, Van der MoodHoover said:

Can't be complacent here. Put our metaphorical boot on their throat.

But main thing is not to pick up any more fluffing injuries.....

Oh well..... seemed a good plan in my head. But somehow it seems we've failed every objective, which is really quite poor......🙄