Match Thread: vs Port Vale (H)

Rampant

A very comfortable win that I could actually enjoy after we scored the second, then third... Lovely.

Had a look at the PV fans forum to see what exactly the issue seemed to be between their goalie and fans after the game, and I feel sorry for them in their situation. Makes us looks like a bunch of happy clappers even after a couple of defeats. 

Enjoyed this afternoon after Tues. Sibbers and Ward were excellent. Very pleased for Sibbers as always. Brilliant from Ward to keep the ball alive and deliver for the third. I like Gayle so far - always looked like he would score that - makes me laugh alternating between bursts of speed and hobbling creaking at the seams.  I'm sorry though but I dont think I'll ever warm to Barks. May just be his body language but just never seems bothered and, other than that little touch to Adams, thought was poor but perhaps just me. 

Port Vale didnt employ the usual League 1 dark arts as badly as some. And for once well reffed on the whole. 

3 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Today could be the making of Joe Ward as a Derby County player.

You only need to look at the guy on the ball to see his quality, and that’s not new. But he’s been on the naughty step and we’ve paid the price 

20 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

You only need to look at the guy on the ball to see his quality, and that’s not new. But he’s been on the naughty step and we’ve paid the price 

For giving away two needless penalties in 2 games...

He's redeemed himself and we remain in 2nd place..

Great to have him back

It was actually a complete performance today - the back three have been coming along nicely as Bradley is getting more and more comfortable. The wing backs made a big difference today. Ward & Sibley were the best two players for us today. 

I don't know how much was down to Vale just being completely out of sorts and low on confidence. I guess we will find out over the next couple of months, but would love to see more of this performance on a weekly basis. 

Good win. Bar a 10 minute spell that they had in the first half we were in total control, a very confident and assured display with some great play at times. Just what we needed. Better lineup with a much better balance. Hopefully more of this going forward. COYR

5 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Only a suggested as a starter by two posters yesterday. You weren't either of them. Of those who did pick him in their suggested line ups before the game, at least one of them (yours truly), did so only because Nyambe is injured.

Two questions; do you suppose that Nyambe's form might also have had something to do with Joe's limited starts? And in regards to your 'we've paid the price' comment, what is this 'price/ you claim we've paid?

7 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

then we had a period when nothing happened probably when their keeper had issues and the game was stopped. They had a 10 min spell brought about by us carelessly losing the ball

There was nothing wrong with their keeper. This is a loophole in the rules that needs fixing. As its the only position that doesnt require the player to stay off the field for 30 seconds he went down so Darren Moore could make tactical changes. Their outfield players all sprinted off to the half way line immediately when the the ref stopped play and surprise surprise they are much better for the next 10 minutes.

Having spent the first half getting a good view of all of Ward's input in that NE corner, I'd already earmarked him as MOTM... A first for me, due to a lousy attention span and lack of footy knowledge!  I just don't normally even consider a MOTM!
My smugness knew no bounds, as it was announced on the PA later.  "Wow!  I actually do know stuff", I thought to myself.  I literally skipped home!  😁
Then I come on here.  No other player gets a mention on that topic.  It's as if it was a no-brainer.  A one horse race.  Clear for all to see.  Even for the dumbest of fans. 🙄
Needless to say, my smugness has diminished somewhat, and I'm back to conceding I know f all... but it felt great for that hour or so!

Still, at least my blind faith 3-0 prediction held good.  I'm on a roll!  💪
Next week, I may even get involved in pre-match line-ups and tactics!  😲

👀🤣

Edited by Mucker1884

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Naughty step?? A freak injury kept him out for a long time and since he recovered from that, he's been left out of precisely 3 matchday squads, the last two due to a groin injury. When he did get back in the team, his performances were patchy. Two clumsy challenges that gave away costly (and harsh imv) penalties got the crowd on his back at PP and on here. He's made 12 appearances in the 20 games he's been available for selection since that nasty heel injury, but it's only in his last couple of starts that he really seems to have got up to speed again. It's a welcome development which doesn't warrant the thinly-veiled criticism of Warne on a premise that you appear to have imagined.

Edited by Crewton

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Naughty step?? A freak injury kept him out for a long time and since he recovered from that, he's been left out of precisely 3 matchday squads, the last two due to a groin injury. When he did get back in the team, his performances were patchy. Two clumsy challenges that gave away costly (and harsh imv) penalties got the crowd on his back at PP and on here. He's made 12 appearances in the 20 games he's been available for selection since that nasty heel injury, but it's only in his last couple of starts that he really seems to have got up to speed again. It's a welcome development which doesn't warrant the thinly-veiled criticism of Warne on a premise that you appear to have imagined.

Can we at least criticise Warne for his handling of Fornah? Guy has shown a fair amount of promise and doesn’t get a look in. He’s actually here after this season too, which is a novelty in our midfield. 

Few random points, some of which I'm repeating what others have said 

Shape: hoping this puts to bed the idea that this formation always looks like 5 at the back. I'm sure if we play this formation against someone like Bolton it'll fall into a 5 but, when done well, this is how it can look against lesser teams 

Ward: brilliant. Which is great partly because I remember how good he was in pre season and partly it sends a message to every player who has to drop down to the U23s to find a bit of form 

Gayle: always nice to get you first goal 

CBT: could do with said 1st goal, if he scored next game I imagine he'll fly from there 

Sibley: I love an in form sibley

Adams: see above

Bench: even with a few injuries still, that's a strong and versatile looking bench 

Port Vale: good fixture to have after 2 defeats 

Other than the last 15 - 20 mins of the 1st half that was a really good game and performance.  I thought he’d stick with Wilson at RWB but pleased he went for Ward.  I was surprised to see Hourihane on the bench again and I do wonder if that might be how he sets up now at home when the onus is on us to attack more.

If Barkhuizen’s early chance goes in to make it 2-0 I think we’d have gone to get 5 or 6.  The wingbacks were superb going forward and not really troubled defensively.  I think Bradley enjoys being captain.  It looks like he thrives under the responsibility and he looks more composed on the ball than earlier in the season.

First game of an important month out the way.

11 minutes ago, Srg said:

Can we at least criticise Warne for his handling of Fornah? Guy has shown a fair amount of promise and doesn’t get a look in. He’s actually here after this season too, which is a novelty in our midfield. 

You can yes but that would completely overlook his appearance against Bradford where he showed zero interest in being on the pitch.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

You can criticise his handling of Ward if you like, since that's the subject of the post I was responding to. 

"Naughty step" is just one of those lazy clichés that fans use that grind my gears whenever a player doesn't feature for a while, when in reality the manager is just picking the team and squad that he thinks is the best available to him based on form, quality etc. If fans don't like the manager, they'll criticise anything he does regardless of his motives.

Fornah has showed promise at times, but you don't need to search hard to find posters here who've written him off as "another sh*t signing by Warne" when the truth may well be that Warne has taken him out of the firing line to allow him to rebuild his form and confidence - that's just as likely as the suggestion that Warne doesn't rate him and is mistreating him.

What do you believe is going on with Fornah or what have you heard?

49 minutes ago, Crewton said:

And he has worked hard. Watched him play for under 21s recently and he put a real shift in. Man amongst boys - literally.

Fornah, on the other hand, who was also playing, didn't look interested.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

And he has worked hard. Watched him play for under 21s recently and he put a real shift in. Man amongst boys - literally.

Fornah, on the other hand, who was also playing, didn't look interested.

Thought ward looked fitter than most yesterday, looked quick, sprinted often and made some great tackles. Really impressed