Match Thread: vs Port Vale (H)

Rampant

I was impressed by the way we managed to play out of the press today. It allowed us to use our wingbacks properly and not have them crossing from deep but rather getting in behind.

That two man midfield of Bird and Adams is going to be something we need to keep. So much mobility in there and both very tidy with the ball. 

Impressed with Gayle, Cash and Sibs as well today. Think the standard of the opposition helped but you can only beat what is in front of you. Play like that in the games against Pompey and Bolton and we give ourselves a good chance. 

7 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

For me we normally play to the level of the opposition.   We didn't really play any worse than Barnsley or any better than Shrewsbury or Burton.   Most games that we win or lose the beaten manager could probably claim with some justification it could have been a draw.   We win more than we lose but maybe because we have more individuals that can produce moments of quality. 

Today I don't think anyone could argue we weren't worth the 3 points - it wasn't particularly flowing football but on the balance of chances created/conceded we were a distance ahead. 

You're not counting the two clear chances that Garrity missed, one header just wide, one shot just wide? He might have missed another with a bit of head tennis off Bradley too. 

But we deserved to win, just not as easy as it looked.

Enjoyed the game today, having Sibley and Ward as wing backs definitely made for a more attacking performance. Either could have been man of the match but Ward just shaded it for me, he had a great game, particularly as  he hasn't had regular game time of late. Lovely header from Gayle, let's hope it's the first of many. I thought when CBT came on that he showed glimpses of what he's capable of. On to Bristol!

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Inspired by the first page of this thread, I thought AI could catch my thoughts on the game:

With eloquence befitting the ages, let this critique unfold upon the recent footballing spectacle. Derby County's recent triumph, gracefully and rightfully achieved, ascends our memories akin to noble birds in the radiance of a sunset.

As the football ensemble of Derby County graced the pitch, they conjured a spiritual melody, resonating with the echoes of past grandeur and steadfastness. The fate of Port Vale seemed sealed, as Derby's players maneuvered the ball with the finesse of courtly virtuosos.

The goals, three in number, rose like magnificent spires, painting a tableau of triumph as iconic as a masterpiece from the Renaissance. Derby County's victory narrates a tale of tradition and artistry interwoven into the very fabric of football. Port Vale, a respectable adversary, found themselves eclipsed in this theatrical performance, where Derby County's gems shone brightly until the game's final act.

Much easier to copy old Ben.

Why is Gayle poo?

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Inspired by the first page of this thread, I thought AI could catch my thoughts on the game:

With eloquence befitting the ages, let this critique unfold upon the recent footballing spectacle. Derby County's recent triumph, gracefully and rightfully achieved, ascends our memories akin to noble birds in the radiance of a sunset.

As the football ensemble of Derby County graced the pitch, they conjured a spiritual melody, resonating with the echoes of past grandeur and steadfastness. The fate of Port Vale seemed sealed, as Derby's players maneuvered the ball with the finesse of courtly virtuosos.

The goals, three in number, rose like magnificent spires, painting a tableau of triumph as iconic as a masterpiece from the Renaissance. Derby County's victory narrates a tale of tradition and artistry interwoven into the very fabric of football. Port Vale, a respectable adversary, found themselves eclipsed in this theatrical performance, where Derby County's gems shone brightly until the game's final act.

That load of drivel will give any sports journalists comfort to know AI is unlikely to put them out of a job any time soon.😀

Today could be the making of Joe Ward as a Derby County player. It was nip and tuck between him and Sibbo for Man of the Match, and for once the award wasn't given to the one who scored more goals! Using them on the front foot made the difference today, and either we limited them to just 2 attempts on goal, with  none on target, or they simply could come up with anything better.

We could only beat what was in  front of us, and we did that fairly well, and probably what was most enjoyable was the upbeat banter from those around me in the South Stand which went on all match. There we  few bizarre decisions from the ref, plus the really bad offside decision against CBT, but actually they either didn't matter, or I didn't care. A sore throat meant I couldn't engage in my usual yelling at the officials, so they got off light to do, but actually I didn't need to yell at them. So well done them, I suppose!

I had hoped to show some appreciation for Darren Moore, but the opportunity didn't present itself, other wise an almost faultless day out. Thank you,Paul and the crew!

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're not counting the two clear chances that Garrity missed, one header just wide, one shot just wide? He might have missed another with a bit of head tennis off Bradley too. 

Never mind maybe next week 😄

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

IMG_0965.gif

Decent result & OK performance for me.

Was reasonably enthused by the team lineup despite not wanting a back 3 pre-match. Sibley & Ward as wing backs are credible attacking outlets so making it more of a 3-4-3 and with a sharp front 3, putting Ward back in with his delivery made a lot of sense. Barkhuizen back in place of Wilson improved our attacking threat significantly too.

Good to score early but was disappointed with the quality of our play for a lot of the first half. We did our usual trick of sitting back after scoring & the ball retention was frankly poor for a good 20 odd mins so allowing Port Vale to doninate territory as we kept on turning over possession. I'm glad Warne has acknowledged this in interviews since but this is a consequence of the sit back & hit on counter tactic we use plus our reluctance to slow the tempo by holding onto possession. This needs to change when we are leading in games, it is inviting unnecessary problems. The half finished well though with a great finish from Gayle (and delivery in)...he looks sharp already & this line up has the potential to provide him with plenty of service.

Other than a Vale shot just wide at the start of the second half, Derby dominated thereafter & 3-0 was a fair reflection. I must say Port Vale were appalling & for those inclined to wail about lack of credit to our team, I would point to the Vale away end who angrily chanted 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' at the end. They look certain to go down on that evidence.

Welcome 3 points but much bigger tests ahead. COYR

Edited by LeedsCityRam

Ok here goes ,, surprise surprise, I have a bit of a gripe/ concern today even after a win which I’m really pleased with but my issue is not this I don’t like warne style football or I much prefer liam style stuff , I’ve already said today that if I saw a flaw and fair stick to beat the manager with it’s the home results and yes I know we won today but I really was surprised we went in at 2-0 half time because I really thought here we go again after we went 1-0 up and I thought we were poor first half , ive not really been able to pin down where or why it’s been going wrong at home but it came to me very simply during that first half that warne and the staff really need to put a rocket up these players backsides at time and my concern is whether he is too nice a bloke to tear them a new one when needed , I realise I may be miles off the mark and it’s just guess work or gut feel on my part 🤷🏻‍♂️,

there’s so much anti warne that I’ve taken a look at what it was I liked about his sides when he first came and all the games I’ve really enjoyed where some just don’t like any ,, well here it is , when it’s right the gas’s out idea of warne and being super fit covering the ground is was all about pressing the poo out of teams , not giving them a second to breath on the ball and when we get the ball back and or get in front going for the opponents throat for 90 mins , we hunted in packs and by hell I really enjoyed that , for some reason we have lost or gone away from that , even the simple thing of our throw ins shows it clear as day , no bugger is moving ,demanding the ball and the thrower is left standing like a lemon and all too often launches a long 50/50 throw up the line ,

get back to the game style you like mr warne because plenty of us fans enjoy that , it’s gets us off our seats and right behind the team , for me game management is not about slowing it down and trying to play tika taka keep ball that just invites teams on to us and we start panicking and hitting loose passes , has warne lost his way a bit under criticism of not playing pretty pretty football? If so I hope he goes back to type for the rest of the season because if he does and gets the players fired up and back on it this squad will be top two 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

That means no shots on target, zilch zero . Not difficult under those circumstances to deserve a win. Oh and guess what, Sibs can play wing back. He’s a good footballer and adapted well today. 

You’re damning by faint praise. None of us know where things will go, it may end up as a play off mud fight but regardless, we are second right now, second highest goal scorers, second tightest defence. Might be an idea if you looked to positives rather than waiting for the next poor result and thus prove whatever point it is you want to make.

40 minutes ago, Archied said:

Ok here goes ,, surprise surprise, I have a bit of a gripe/ concern today even after a win which I’m really pleased with but my issue is not this I don’t like warne style football or I much prefer liam style stuff , I’ve already said today that if I saw a flaw and fair stick to beat the manager with it’s the home results and yes I know we won today but I really was surprised we went in at 2-0 half time because I really thought here we go again after we went 1-0 up and I thought we were poor first half , ive not really been able to pin down where or why it’s been going wrong at home but it came to me very simply during that first half that warne and the staff really need to put a rocket up these players backsides at time and my concern is whether he is too nice a bloke to tear them a new one when needed , I realise I may be miles off the mark and it’s just guess work or gut feel on my part 🤷🏻‍♂️,

there’s so much anti warne that I’ve taken a look at what it was I liked about his sides when he first came and all the games I’ve really enjoyed where some just don’t like any ,, well here it is , when it’s right the gas’s out idea of warne and being super fit covering the ground is was all about pressing the poo out of teams , not giving them a second to breath on the ball and when we get the ball back and or get in front going for the opponents throat for 90 mins , we hunted in packs and by hell I really enjoyed that , for some reason we have lost or gone away from that , even the simple thing of our throw ins shows it clear as day , no bugger is moving ,demanding the ball and the thrower is left standing like a lemon and all too often launches a long 50/50 throw up the line ,

get back to the game style you like mr warne because plenty of us fans enjoy that , it’s gets us off our seats and right behind the team , for me game management is not about slowing it down and trying to play tika taka keep ball that just invites teams on to us and we start panicking and hitting loose passes , has warne lost his way a bit under criticism of not playing pretty pretty football? If so I hope he goes back to type for the rest of the season because if he does and gets the players fired up and back on it this squad will be top two 

I am supportive of Warne, I like the way he is so open but you are right, there is a missing element in the coaching. The old as the hills pass, move, make yourself available doesn’t seem to have the priority I would like. In his defence, many of our players are seasoned pros and should be doing more of it instinctively but for some reason or another …don’t. If we do do the hunting in packs power play, effectively, it’s less important to be so aware, but then to an extent the “quality” of football does decline. 

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Seems to be some craic in the Guthrie upper last couple of games. Don’t know what’s started it but it’s helping. 

There's a gang of new kids in the back row. I don't know where they've come from, but they don't let up from kick off onwards. 

They drag everyone up there along with them, myself included.

Good win today. Well deserved. First time I’ve liked the way we set up with wing backs. Sibs and Ward were excellent. First 20 really good, then we had a period when nothing happened probably when their keeper had issues and the game was stopped. They had a 10 min spell brought about by us carelessly losing the ball, then an excellent goal, cash put ward in a difficult position with his pass, under pressure his first touch was outstanding, plays an excellent ball out wide (about the only ball he could play under pressure) Barks does really well, great cross from Ebou and the perfect header from Gayle.

From that point we started to play with a flourish, got an excellent third, could’ve scored more then the game fizzled out as we made our changes. They were poor but you have to play what’s in front of you, we were ruthless at the right times got that second which by then we’d earned the right to play and managed to play some good stuff at times. We haven’t got that second goal often recently and as result every game has become a scrap. 

There is reason to be encouraged today, Gayle is a major threat, we might have found the formula with our wing backs and there was reasonable balance with Ebou and Bird in the middle. This coupled with the fact we’re getting players back from injury we should be strong for the run in to hopefully get us over the line, and if not, we should be strong for the playoffs.