Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

23 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Wilson may have played RWB for most of his career but his natural instinct is to attack.

You said 'only 2 attacking players' not 2 forwards or strikers and if you've actually watched Wilson in any matches since he signed and don't include him as an attacking player then it beggars belief......... but then I'm not really surprised.

well obviously we didnt have a striker so why would i say 2 strikers.

If you look back far enough, i said somewhere on here that wilson is more suited to being a winger, i agree with that. The fact is he has been playing games at RB and was signed as a defender

27 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Was there a lesson to be learned at PP today?

The crowd really seemed to step it up mid way through the second half and the team seemed to respond, maybe we have a role to play in the run in?

I really believe today that the crowd got us over the line. All the players burned their reserves, the manager responded to leaks in the system but the whole ground lifted as the half progressed. The lads responded in kind, dug deep, kept trying - for themselves and us. It paid off. 

it wasn’t my choice of football style but circumstances dictate that sometimes and you just have to accept a poor hand. It’s was a grubby match but every player gave his all and Pride Park sensed it. 

Really pleased for Sibs, Adams is such an honest player, back 3 were all monumental. COYR.

If people want to be pi$$ed off then let them, likewise if people want to be happy that we won and are 2nd in the league, then they should also be left to their happiness.

Me, I am happy to escape the league any which we we can. Ideally the footy would be a bit more pleasing on the eye but if it gets results I’ll handle it.

(90 minute winners are great and anyone who did not enjoy that bit at least has my sympathy).

30 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The one thing I won't fault with this squad is effort. 

Tactically I'm not a fan a lot of the time, but I won't be questioning their effort.

Suspect that’s why the crowd didn’t get on their backs at all today. Everybody could see the effort was there but just wasn’t coming off. Perhaps subconsciously there was the thought that if we got behind them it might just lift them (and for last 20 mins or so it seemed to work).  Much better approach than whinging and booing!! 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

I really believe today that the crowd got us over the line. All the players burned their reserves, the manager responded to leaks in the system but the whole ground lifted as the half progressed. The lads responded in kind, dug deep, kept trying - for themselves and us. It paid off. 

They were epic today. It was only as we entered the last 3rd of the game that we started to try and play and exploit spaces left by tired Stevenage legs, but the fans were raucous throughout, much to their credit. The players will of course respond and I suspect the support will be appreciated. It's my impression that the team and coaching staff have felt a bit unloved at times in recent weeks, so it was nice to hear the fans doing more than their fair share today and themselves getting rewarded with a late winner and a clean sheet.

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

You do remember what happened to that billy davies team after promotion...

Also, why is it one or the other? It is possible to play some form of decent football and get results

The best footballing teams aren’t in the top two. Bolton and Peterborough. Ones fallen off a cliff and the other is currently in a bad run of form. The team on promotion needs tweaks at the top end. The back line is championship ready. 

40 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

well obviously we didnt have a striker so why would i say 2 strikers.

If you look back far enough, i said somewhere on here that wilson is more suited to being a winger, i agree with that. The fact is he has been playing games at RB and was signed as a defender

I give up - it's like trying to knit fog!

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

Absolutely loved his interview. Sounded to me like he’d make a great captain in the future if we can get him in permanently. 

It was telling in his interview when he mentioned the Derby and the fans have made him enjoy playing football which is telling to how Cardiff treated him. Reckon he’s one player who will be pushing for a permanent transfer 

29 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Warne's signings have taken some criticism...

But.... Bradley, Niambe,  Wilson, re-signing Bird, Elder, Nelson,  Adams....  not so shabby...

Careful. Someone will soon say we've got the best squad and should be doing so much better than we are.

5 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I give up - it's like trying to knit fog!

My Mum used to knit Fog, She made me a jumper and left it in my bedroom, Where did she put it...I hadn't the Foggiest 😁

Edited by Ram-Alf

22 minutes ago, ossieram said:

3 more points on the board and more pressure applied to the chasing pack, who couldn't be happy with that!

Certainly putting more pressure on those around us and I still include Pompey in that category. Before today, a win or a couple of draws for Bolton with their 2 games in hand would have overtaken us but now they would have to at least get a win and a draw to do so. Still lots of points to play for but the screws are definitely tightening,