Derby v Stevenage FC - Match Day Thread

Heisenberg

28 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm still not convinced by Warne but bloody hell, even I'm getting bored of some of the carry on in this thread.

Yep ,,, for me warne put out a tough team of battlers who took no poo and put us in position to win the game against a team that needed that approach, proud of them today and very very happy ram tonight πŸ‘πŸπŸ˜€

13 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes it does … and why ? … because the β€œopposition” seem quite comfortable with using descriptions like clown, PE teacher, Small time manager. You reap what you sow. .There will always be an equal an opposite reaction.

I get really stroppy these days and am considering bowing out because the anti Warne stuff from about half a dozen posters is so toxic and inaccurate, it disturbs my karma. I wonder if you would caution those who say clown or describe our manager as inept or make mockery of his desire to have honest players with heart and character rather than just money grabbers after a pay chequeΒ 

Not having a go at you personally but just pointing out that it is a two way street.Β 
Β 

We were nearly gone 18 months ago. Now we are in second place and have just won 3 tough points with a fantastic supportive crowd, yet because of the dripping poison from a certain merry band this is a 10 year forum low for me. It isn’t about folk having ideas or opinions or differing views, it’s a mindset that’s ugly and needs to be challenged. So well done @Stive PesleyΒ 
Β 

MateΒ 

I am of the opinion that PW is not the right manager for a Derby County.Β 
Β 

I like to think if someone is so blatant the other way then I would also comment.
Hope you don’t bow out.Β 
I took a week out about two months ago and it certainly took the edge off my frustration.Β 
on a WhatsApp group earlier we were commenting on what an honest group of players we have. Wilson was cream crackered at the end there and I’m so glad (and proud) of the fans.Β 
Β 

PW changed the game when he introduced Smith and we were getting at them. Stevenage are a tough side and as has been mentioned they are a team that usually frustrate us and we drop points against.Β 
Β 

I have other thoughts but that’s not important right now (πŸ˜‚)Β 

Well done LouisΒ 

no one had a bad gameΒ 

no striker but still three pointsΒ 

Gutted for ColloΒ 

Results mainly went our wayΒ 
Β 

πŸπŸ–€πŸ€πŸ€˜

Β 

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I've just listened to the Adams interview, hisΒ personality is infectious and he's a proper warrior in midfield.

If Cardiff have floated a figure over a permanent move just pay it. Don't muck about arguing over a few quid. Just pay 'em.

Absolutely loved his interview. Sounded to me like he’d make a great captain in the future if we can get him in permanently.Β 

Edited by Jayram

1 hour ago, Chris_Martin said:

Β I'm aware of the results thanks.

My problem is why do we play so negative. Why when we have the best players in the league are we always playing as though we're the underdogs?

Perhaps Warne anticipated exactly the kind of game that transpired?

Stevenage have been in the top 6-10 for the majority of the season. They have made life difficult for many superior teams across this season.

They are clearly well versed at stifling and limiting better teams. The only team to comfortably beat them so far is Blackpool and they have made Portsmouth, Bolton, Peterborough amongst others all work hard for wins.

You say we have the best players in the league playing like underdogs? That’s your opinion.

In others’ opinion, we have a good group of players and a good manager showing tactical flexibility and finding a way to get results.Β 

Full credit to everyone involved for grinding out that win what was always going to be a difficult game. Brilliant 3 points and the results went in our favour too!!Β 

It was always going to be an ugly scrap of a game which we stood up to well and limited them to few chances, but if not for Sibley’s 90th minute winner, this post could’ve been very different.

I struggled all game to contain my anger and frustration and this started when drinking a doom bar in the harvester I saw the team news. Now the only caveat is, were the 13 players who played today the only ones fit enough to play a reasonable part in the game? That to me is the only possible justification for the team Warne picked today. Last time I was as disappointed at a team sheet was the 2019 play off final and the selection and tactics were akin to Nigel effectively playing a 4-6-0 at home to Leicester in the freezing cold in the middle of our horrific run in 2011.Β 

Back 3? Nyambe right wing back? More defensive players on the pitch than attacking ones. No wonder we couldn’t muster a single shot in the first half (or actually until the 76th minute wasn’t it?). The balance was all wrong from minute one. Half time came and went, no changes. Then the first sub, and it’s Smith! Another defensive minded player, although to be fair he got us passing more in midfield and it moved Wilson to wing back (where he should’ve started if we’re playing that system). Then Hallelujah an attacking sub, Sibs is coming on, but it’s like for like, we still have more defensive players than attacking players in the last 15 mins when we’re trying to win the game!! Barks had run himself into the ground, but Tommo could’ve also come on to improve the midfield balance. Then we manage to work a situation good play from Mendez and a great finish from Sibbo. Job done so suppose Warne got it right in the end, and 3 points is all that mattered.

Thought the players did their best today with the tools they were given, Nyambe gave a sterling effort at right wing back, Bradley definitely MOTM, pleased for him but IMO shouldn’t have even started the game. If he wanted a back 3 then surely play Nyambe with Nelson and Cash, Wilson wing back and then either Sibley in a front 3 or Thommo in a midfield 3 with Mendez and Barks up top, would’ve given us more attacking balance and given us a more convincing performance and more comfortable victory against Stevenage who I thought were poor.Β 

Managers like players can have bad games and personally l thought Warne had a stinker today and got away with one. But I don’t care, 3 points is all that mattered and we’re in a fantastic position which is in my view also very much down to Warne, his understanding of the league and getting the most out of a squad which I still don’t really think is suited to his playing style, people bang on about the players he’s brought in he’s had 18 months etc, we’ve been dealing in freebies for the most part, hes been unable sign the young energetic talents the likes of which Posh have been signing.Β 

Well done to the lads today but as well as they did, I never want to see that same 11 on the pitch again unless it’s the last 5 mins trying to see out a game.Β 

The fans today were immense!!! Many times they could’ve turned but didn’t, we’ve got to do everything we can to help these boys over the line.

42 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

wilson is a defender

He maybe in the process of being converted to a winger, but he's spent almost his whole career as a defender.Β 

he even has the no. 2 shirtπŸ˜…

Wilson may have played RWB for most of his career but his natural instinct is to attack.

You said 'only 2 attacking players' not 2 forwards or strikers and if you've actually watched Wilson in any matches since he signed and don't include him as an attacking player then it beggars belief......... but then I'm not really surprised.

Just now, Andrew3000 said:

Anyone see Wilson celebrate with the ball boy? Lovely moment. Wilson loves it here.

He needs a shout out. He literally couldn’t stand up at the end of the game. He went to the well to get himself through that game. Literally put his body on the line for the cause as they all did. Great to see.Β 

27 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes it does … and why ? … because the β€œopposition” seem quite comfortable with using descriptions like clown, PE teacher, Small time manager. You reap what you sow. .There will always be an equal an opposite reaction.

I get really stroppy these days and am considering bowing out because the anti Warne stuff from about half a dozen posters is so toxic and inaccurate, it disturbs my karma. I wonder if you would caution those who say clown or describe our manager as inept or make mockery of his desire to have honest players with heart and character rather than just money grabbers after a pay chequeΒ 

Not having a go at you personally but just pointing out that it is a two way street.Β 
Β 

We were nearly gone 18 months ago. Now we are in second place and have just won 3 tough points with a fantastic supportive crowd, yet because of the dripping poison from a certain merry band this is a 10 year forum low for me. It isn’t about folk having ideas or opinions or differing views, it’s a mindset that’s ugly and needs to be challenged. So well done @Stive PesleyΒ 
Β 

Jono , don’t bow out , I’ve felt exactly like you for some time but miraculously todays match thread has totally changed that ,,,, it’s trolling pure and simple by a small number , just laugh and post what you want mate , don’t let a small group spoil the enjoyment of wins , chasing promotion, our club rising from the ashes ,

a few want to spoil the feel good factor NO MATTER WHAT, once you see that clearly ( which today has shown me ) it loses any credibility and or ability to effect you negativelyΒ 

Anyone confused? Radio Derby/Eric Steel said we changed the formation? I didn’t we think we did - we just bought on Smith and moved Bird forward but it was always being backs.

The only thing we probably did was told NML to go out wide a bit more?

Did we go to four at the back? Was Elder (who I thought was awful) or Cashin Left Back?

It’s going to be a long run in.

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

He needs a shout out. He literally couldn’t stand up at the end of the game. He went to the well to get himself through that game. Literally put his body on the line for the cause as they all did. Great to see.Β 

The one thing I won't fault with this squad is effort.Β 

Tactically I'm not a fan a lot of the time, but I won't be questioning their effort.

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I still don’t get how Sibley managed to squeeze that in haha. Thank god he did.Β 
Β 

Β 

I’ve now accepted that we are going to play sh1te football and am enjoying the goals as and when they come. It’s been a relief for me.Β 
Β 

Up the rams. One more weekend of results like today and it’s in our own hands!!

It’s already in our own hands.

38 minutes ago, jono said:

Do you listen to anyone ? The academy was stripped of its best talent. The EFL are dictating who and what we can sign, our owner doesn’t have borrowed money to spend. Top line strikers or players in their prime are not available to teams in this position.Β 
Β 

what does that have to do with what happened to the billy davies team that got promoted without a plan?

Yeah sure some of the academy was stripped, but that has nothing to do with the team we have right now. The restrictions on signing players are mostly gone now aswell. Why would we need top strikers or players in their prime? The ones we already have are very capable of playing better than this.