Paul Warne

Day

12 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Also didn’t the “persistence” with Hourihane that some are complaining about coincide with most of our other midfield options being injured and unavailable? Maybe I’m misremembering. It does seem now that we have other options fit and available Hourihane is getting less game time. 

Can’t remember tbh, but we’re all the better for Warne finding the right combination in the end. 

Most away wins in a season, most points in a season, a promotion (we hope) and getting the best defender in the league to sign a new long term contract in his first full season. All of this with very little spend and spotting some gems in the rough (Adams and Wilson). 

When we talk about the success under Jim Smith or Clough, we rarely talk about style but the results they had. If we go up this year I think Warne will be remembered in 10-20 years for the results he achieved. 

1 hour ago, valakari said:

Albeit in the third division

Makes no difference. We're a League One side playing League One opposition. If we were in the Championship or PL then it would be PL or Championship opposition - you can only beat those at your current level and to have beaten so many of them on their own home turf is a special achievement, not worthy of a cheap comment.

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

I gave @Archied a clap for his response, but I seriously would not want to turn fans away for expressing their opinions. However if your real intention is to not go next year (you pays your money, you gets to choose how) then I would applaud that more than going to the games and booing from start to finish.

I have never and would never boo my team, I will however say what I think. I won’t be renewing my season ticket but instead will pick the games I fancy watching. 

29 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Most away wins in a season, most points in a season, a promotion (we hope) and getting the best defender in the league to sign a new long term contract in his first full season. All of this with very little spend and spotting some gems in the rough (Adams and Wilson). 

When we talk about the success under Jim Smith or Clough, we rarely talk about style but the results they had. If we go up this year I think Warne will be remembered in 10-20 years for the results he achieved. 

Agree with most, but Billy took us up and we still talk about his absolutely dire football.

Having said that, as people they couldn't be more different can they. Billy was the definition of toxic, whereas Warne seems like the nicest guy.

Let's hope with a decent summer of signings, the football can change so we can put those concerns to bed once and for all.

16 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Paul Warne deserves credit for getting us promoted. Doesn’t really matter how, his goal was to get us promoted and he has achieved.

But he will need help this summer. This current side under Warne finishes bottom three next season.

If we stick with Warne, he will need seven or eight new signings to give us a chance.

What is so outrageous about this statement? 

The current side is a bottom three side by championship standard. Think it’s way too much to ask of Warne to keep the current squad as it is in the championship next season. 

Bris is right - we’ll need to make at least eight+ signings in the summer to give Warne a decent chance of success. He’s earned the right to get backed this summer - let’s hope we’re in a position to be able to fund it!

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Bris is right - we’ll need to make at least eight+ signings in the summer to give Warne a decent chance of success. He’s earned the right to get backed this summer - let’s hope we’re in a position to be able to fund it!

£8million in TV revenue, Increase in ST Holders with the added bonus of them increasing, Maybe more sponsorship and investment, Pearce said we'll competitive in the market, But this comes with paying extra for better players.  

Come on guys! Paul Warne has got to be good. He got us a win yesterday with us only playing football for 30 minutes! That second half was absolutely terrible, probably worse than the fiascos against Stevenage, Wycombe and Northampton. And yet again we have spent most of the match being outplayed and even dominated by a team right at the other end of the table. BUT - he Has got us the win, and he has got us promoted, bar a catastrophe next Saturday.

Most of the brick-ends thrown Paul's way are because of his intransigence, particularly last season and the first part of this one. He only had one way of playing it, and he was determined to play it, even if it didn't work, and even if he had found other ways to set the team up that did work - twice! And yes, I threw quite a few myself.

But what has emerged is that he has grown into the job, and has been prepared to learn and develop, so that there are now occasional flashes of football, which show that actually we can be quite good! It still isn't the silky, smooth liquid football that we would all love to see flowing all over the pitch, well not yet, anyway, but we have seen on the pitch better than what we had to put up with in the earlier days. So for someone who was so stubborn to be prepared to change is quite refreshing, and tough to do, so thank you, Paul!

And yes, when we are promoted and I am happy for him to get the chance at last to take on the Championship with better resources than he has ever had before.

COOME ON YOU RAMS!!!

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

£8million in TV revenue, Increase in ST Holders with the added bonus of them increasing, Maybe more sponsorship and investment, Pearce said we'll competitive in the market, But this comes with paying extra for better players.  

I tend not to put too much faith in anything Stephen Pearce says 

20 hours ago, maxjam said:

Of course the squad needs an overhaul, my concern is where the money is coming from.  DC is running a tight ship - and I approve of that, given the past few years, but if you recall the lean GSE years even they were pumping money into the club and getting nowhere.

You could argue that (assuming we finish the job next weekend) we've gone up too quickly - the squad needs a fair amount of surgery next season to compete and we're still a fair way from any youngsters coming through.  I don't envisage many signings as such, more freebies and loans again.

We we're warned at the fans forum a while back that if we do up we're looking at a couple of seasons of stability before we hopefully push on - to me that means avoid relegation/push for mid-table. Given that we've been in and around the top 6/top 2 for months and some people have still wanted to get rid of PW, unless we've got some 'god tier' scouting lined up next season is gonna be a tough and PW will come under pressure again from the usual suspects.  

Personally, unless we get some outside investment I'm okay with slow and financially prudent progression.

Smart recruitment instead of expensive recruitment that we’ve seen before.  Let’s hope and believe that there are good plans already in place

18 hours ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Paul Warne barring a complete disaster has done his job, fair play to him and Clowes got it bang right 👌 but this is not the football I wanna watch week in week out, great that Warne has done his job and taken us up but sorry that’s not for me next year 😢

Maybe there’s a way to get out of League 1 and a different solution for competing in the Championship 

I'm not a big fan of how we've played this season, but I have to admit that there are very few games where we haven't created the more dangerous chances. Also applies to matches where we had little ball possession and few successful passes. You have to give that to Warne because he has done that part very well! Regarding signings going forward, I hope for a completely new strategy for our dependable players are, in principle, those who have been here for a long time. Cashin, Bird, Sibley, Forsyth and others. Here, there needs to be a rework to make us significantly more successful, I would say.