Derby County Versus Barnsley - Match Day Thread - League 1

S8TY

A well deserved victory. A 3-0 win over a promotion rival. Not something we tend to do that often.

The first? If that had been at the other end we'd all have been up in arms. The softest of soft penalties. About time we got one, I suppose.

Cracking 2nd from Fozzy. Another good shot from Fozzy was the keeper parry the ball and Collo was on hand to chest it in at the far post.

Later Sibs hit the bar. Collo might (should?) have had a 3rd.

An hour into the game, I commented to the wife that things don't get much better than this. Derby winning and me drinking a bottle of Pedigree on a Saturday afternoon.

Lastly, I forecast pre game that if they came to play football we'd win. They did and so did we. Thankfully they didn't come to get physical and play "industrial" football.

A few comments from the Barnsley forum regards James Collins

Aye, proper dark arts. He made a fool of Mael and Williams all game.

He old manned us unfortunately.

Absolutely disgusting tackle on de Gevigney in the first 15 and our players just stood doing double teapots.

James Collins. Lucky not to be sent off in first 20mins. Flopped over in the box for the pen, scored from a millimeter out, led with his elbow for every aerial challenge. Yet got man of the match? 

If we could afford him he's exactly what we need(we cant).

Always a threat with goals and his dark arts are a massive part of his game.

One of those you hate to play against but would love in your team.

…………….that’s more like it! 😄

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

A well deserved victory. A 3-0 win over a promotion rival. Not something we tend to do that often.

The first? If that had been at the other end we'd all have been up in arms. The softest of soft penalties. About time we got one, I suppose.

Cracking 2nd from Fozzy. Another good shot from Fozzy was the keeper parry the ball and Collo was on hand to chest it in at the far post.

An hour into the game, I commented to the wife that things don't get much better than this. Derby winning and me drinking a bottle of Pedigree on a Saturday afternoon.

Lastly, I forecast pre game that if they came to play football we'd win. They did and so did we. Thankfully they didn't come to get physical and play "industrial" football.

collins out barnslied barnsley at a time in the game when they were falling like flies and getting free kicks

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

I had a pretty good view of the penalty and I’m not one of those who only sees in black and white.

To me and the others around me it was a stonewall penalty.

The guy had his arms around Collins’ back and made no effort to head it.

It’s the type of incident which should lead to more penalties because it is foul play designed to prevent an opponent from scoring.

Far more of a ‘foul’ than the ridiculous handball rules.

Agree with your other comments BTW!

18 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I had a pretty good view of the penalty and I’m not one of those who only sees in black and white.

To me and the others around me it was a stonewall penalty.

The guy had his arms around Collins’ back and made no effort to head it.

It’s the type of incident which should lead to more penalties because it is foul play designed to prevent an opponent from scoring.

Far more of a ‘foul’ than the ridiculous handball rules.

Agree with your other comments BTW!

I agree. From the replays, where the camera is in the West Stand, you can barely see contact at all - partly because the camera is behind Collins and the defender. However, from my position in the South Stand, you could clearly see his hands were raised. The way Collins fell onpy looked possible from a push.

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I agree. From the replays, where the camera is in the West Stand, you can barely see contact at all - partly because the camera is behind Collins and the defender. However, from my position in the South Stand, you could clearly see his hands were raised. The way Collins fell onpy looked possible from a push.

Yep I saw the same from the SW Upper, it was a clear shove that the tv camera angle does not do justice too. What is telling from the tv is the complete lack of any remonstration whatsoever from O'Keefe towards the ref, he just walked off head down to the edge of the penalty area.

18 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Yep I saw the same from the SW Upper, it was a clear shove that the tv camera angle does not do justice too. What is telling from the tv is the complete lack of any remonstration whatsoever from O'Keefe towards the ref, he just walked off head down to the edge of the penalty area.

I had a perfect side on view from the lower east stand by the half way line, it was a big push on Collo which catapulted him into the defender in front of him, I was up screaming for a penalty straight away, but not expecting one. That decision aside, I thought that the ref was poor in the first half.

The 2 goals from Wildsmith's free kicks were like a welcome throwback from yesteryear. All too often, unless a free kick is awarded within 15 yards of the penalty area, modern free kicks are taken short and invariably end up back with our keeper. Hopefully, we will continue with these more attacking free kicks, with players like Fozzy, anticipating loose balls. Maybe opposition players will think twice about committing niggly fouls by the half way line, to break down our attacks?

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

I had a perfect side on view from the lower east stand by the half way line, it was a big push on Collo which catapulted him into the defender in front of him, I was up screaming for a penalty straight away, but not expecting one. That decision aside, I thought that the ref was poor in the first half.

The 2 goals from Wildsmith's free kicks were like a welcome throwback from yesteryear. All too often, unless a free kick is awarded within 15 yards of the penalty area, modern free kicks are taken short and invariably end up back with our keeper. Hopefully, we will continue with these more attacking free kicks, with players like Fozzy, anticipating loose balls. Maybe opposition players will think twice about committing niggly fouls by the half way line, to break down our attacks?

Radio Derby and ITV4 were both certain it was a penalty. Only Mr doom and gloom Barker thought it was soft. 😉

On those two free kicks, it's not a tactic we generally use but Cashin was well placed for those flick-ons to the fullback running in behind. 

Warne had said something pre-game about space down the flanks and this was a very different way of exploring that. I liked it, even though it was very direct.

Top performance against one of the challengers.  I think that was more like how Warne wants us to play, or how’s he’s described his type of football.  High press, win the ball early, move it quickly.  If we can do that consistently, we’ll be fine.

To be outside the top 6 on goal difference going into the last international break of the year is a nice place to be.  We’ve had a stuttering start and are in touch, others have yet to have a wobble.  I think now to the next break around February will be a key period.

19 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Top performance against one of the challengers.  I think that was more like how Warne wants us to play, or how’s he’s described his type of football.  High press, win the ball early, move it quickly.  If we can do that consistently, we’ll be fine.

To be outside the top 6 on goal difference going into the last international break of the year is a nice place to be.  We’ve had a stuttering start and are in touch, others have yet to have a wobble.  I think now to the next break around February will be a key period.

What a great statement. These breaks are an absolute nuisance. I hate them.