Derby County Versus Barnsley - Match Day Thread - League 1

S8TY

Great result today. Really pleased again to see us hunting in packs to win the ball back. NML is in a rich vein of form and had their defence on toast first half. Hope the knock is enough to prevent him flying out with Gautemala, but not bad enough to be out for long. Wilson deputised admirably. He’s becoming a new favourite, and looking to be a bit of a bargain. Props to Collo for being where a striker should and getting the benefits- c*** on duck!

Thought both FB/CH pairings worked really well together today to snuff out what little threat Barnsley posed. I was very surprised with the opposition to be fair. For all their possession they were pretty toothless, and what threat they did have was largely from the ref giving them every chance with some poor decisions first half. 

Today just might’ve been the turning point the coaching team, the squad and the fans needed!

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Nah, 5 goals in 2 games, he’s a man with confidence playing to the strengths he has. He’s never been as woeful as some like to make out

Spot on, his performance today was not much different to any performance that he ever puts in. Only difference Id say was that his first touch on a couple of occasions was McGoldrickesque

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Dont worry, don't think its just you. Only 19 pages on the thread today, its normally up to 19 pages of Warne Out posts before the match is even discussed. 

TBH I haven't ever been a vociferous "he must go".

But I have been a critical "he has to do better" voice.

It IS better, of that no doubt. but like the poor form went on for a few months, we need to sustain improvement for a similar period, so build upon the last couple of games.

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It IS better, of that no doubt. but like the poor form went on for a few months, we need to sustain improvement for a similar period, so build upon the last couple of games.

Since I moved down to the front,  we've won 4/4 at Pride Park. 

I like to think my "Go, Mendez" and "Brilliant, Mendez" is helping in some small way. 😉 

The positivity shown by players and fans was so refreshing today which seems appropriate following todays sad news of B4's passing.  Even when Barkhuizen missed a good chance, the fans were singing his name.  Good to hear us in the SW corner take up the mantle when the South Stand downed tools for the last 15 minutes! It's been a good week for the whole club, long may it continue.

33 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I've been very vociferously saying he has to go, and now.

Based on the last few weeks, he's earned a slight reprieve.

I'd like to know what took us so long to get going.

Lovely day and the Rams put on a lovely performance! Certainly the most coherent and combative of the season so far. NML was on fire first half, the back 4 in complete control and Wildsmith excellent when needed. Collo is like the kid a school who always has to have the ball but first half particularly he tried to stay more Central and it paid off. The midfield was combative and I thought Smith was very good today covering and making himself available. The subs all did well coming on. We looked like promotion candidates today let’s hope this is just the start. In memory of B4 ‘Pompey we’re coming for you!’

Amazing performance and result today. Probably the best performance under Warne. The pressing all over the pitch was amazing, kept winning the ball back in good areas to attack then when we had it we were really incisive. With better finishing it really should have been 5 or 6, Barkhuizen profligate in particular but loved how he kept making the runs. Delighted for Collo, worked hard and deserved his goals, Bird is starting to have more of an influence and Mendez is electric. What a performance from Wilson when he came on as well. Seen a lot of praise for Fozzy. He took his goal well and did well for the Collins second but defensively like other recent performances he was really poor again, Barnsley didn’t punish his errors today, we need Elder fit. 

I said to keep his job Warne needs an unbeaten run similar to the one we enjoyed last season. Could this be the early phases of one such run? We’re certainly starting to build momentum. Warney definitely answering his critics at the moment. Long May it continue.