Derby County Versus Barnsley - Match Day Thread - League 1

S8TY

Good game today.

I'm so impressed by Kane Wilson, bags of tricks and a joy to watch. He's going to be a big player for us in the future....or will go for a big fee otherwise. 

Great to see Collins full of confidence and the players celebrating at/with the fans.

it's a shame Barks didn't score as he gets into great positions again and again. Hopefully it will click soon.

My only moan is that that Cashin would be on 5 goals for the season if only he could learn to head downwards. The guy can jump and get on crosses easy peasy but batters most over the bar. he kept one down against Wolves and that led to a goal.

fingers crossed for more of this form against Crewe on Tues.

p.s. anyone else made to feel old by seeing Andy Cole's boy playing for Barnsley?

PAUL WARNE - - - - YOUR FOOTBALL WAS GREAT!

It’s the best we’ve seen at Pride Park for some time. The Barnsley manager said that until the 3rd goal went in it was pretty even. I disagree. Apart from Wildsmith’s early save, they had hardly had a sniff - yet Derby were creating threats right through that first half. We weren’t dominant, but well in control.

Although it didn’t feel like it at times. James Collin’s yellow card was bought for a bus ticket. If their player hadn’t rolled around like someone had put a chainsaw through his stomach there wouldn’t have been a card. When Nelson was floored by a “stray elbow” - it wasn’t stray, it went exactly where it was meant to - there wasn’t even a free kick, and I felt that there would be yet another dodgy penalty decision against us, and that Barnsley would have the full 3 points in their swag bag.

But the decision went our way, and yes it was a clear shove in the back, leaving me thinking the ref was bound to try and even things up after we had scored. A few correct decisions would have evened things up our way, but then he’d look like a decent ref, so we can’t have that, can we? Cue their keeper being bundled into the net by his own defender - free kick to Barnsley, and so it continued.

Much of the success was down to Collins being in the area when the ball was played in there - who’d have thought it? He had a great game, and it was great that the fans were backing him from the start.

Our play was a great mix of closing down, proper football and playing it long, and we had a good tempo all along. And a tactical change in the second half saw Barkhuisen playing on the break and he broke free several times, including that miss! And I am sure that Barnsley simply hadn’t expected him to play the role and didn’t latch on to him. And it was great to here the fans backing him after that miss!

The second and third goals were almost identical, so had we found Barnsley’s soft underbelly and exploited it? If so, well done Mr Warne, you tactical genius! Along with him starting to play Wilson as a winger instead of a full back! And Sibley!!! An inch lower and that would have been a stunning goal. Only he would shoot from such an outrageous angle!

Did anyone have bad game? With 4 or 5 players up for MOM, I would say no, but shout outs to Cashin, Fozzy, NML and Wilson. Oh, and Collins!

The self-belief and authority with which we played today made me think of the Clough and Mackay teams from all those years ago. Long may it continue. Imagine where in the League we would be if we’d played like that more often, because it is what we have been capable of all along. Again - long may it continue!

And finally: in his RD interview Paul Warne told the players that he wanted maximum effort, with no-one pulling out of challenges because today we are remembering all those who gave their all for us. That statement alone deserved the win!

Edited by DavesaRam

Excellent performance today, made a top team in Barnsley who had the best & unbeaten away record look bang average. Other than a freekick & missed chance at 2-0 I dont think they offered much at all.

Most pleasing thing was the workrate to get the ball back, even at 3-0 everyone was busting a gut to get back in position....when everyone is willing to do that for each other its a very good sign.

Today felt the most control of a game in a while vs a top 6 team. I have a feeling we could be about to go on a decent run, we have got the little monkey of back to back league wins off our back & hopefully the likes of Washington, Waghorn, Elder, Ward & TJJ back after the international break.

Way way better today in fact really enjoyed the game which makes a nice change

Beating a team and a unbeaten team away from home to boot is great,more importantly it turned out to be  a must win in the end as all the other 5 teams in the top five won also,if we had lost this game there would of been quite a gap opening up.

Bring on Tuesday night then lets get the players rested up ready to go again

Finally PW well done after taking a bit of stick lately

Second half best performance at home by a long way. More of the same please PW. Impressed with citizen Kane and his willingness to take people on as they started to double up on  him and created space for others.

Someone tells Barks the pitch is in good nick, no need to look for divots just need a bit more shooting practice. 

Moving in the right direction. It would be nice now to go on a run and cement ourselves in the top 4. 

Whilst ever we’re floating around 6/7th memories of last season will be there. 

Defensively we’re looking pretty solid. 

Still think we’re a couple of players short of mounting a series challenge on the top 2. But if we continue with performances of yesterdays nature then DC and PW deserve plenty of credit.

The first half hour was pretty unremarkable really and it looked as though a dour nil nil was on the cards.

I thought the penalty was a pretty obvious push and always had faith in Collins to smash it. 

That really was the turning point. It gave Collins some confidence and he was a menace after that and the whole team seemed to react to Barnsley’s play acting by upping their own aggression.

It was great to see us winning 50:50s and imposing ourselves on the opposition.

Barnsley wilted under the pressure and Wilson’s introduction made us look more dangerous.

Sure, the goals were scrappy and I hope yesterday’s win doesn’t mean we play long balls every week but I thoroughly enjoyed my day out.

I thought Nelson and Cashin did an excellent job keeping Cole quiet.

Hope Barkhuisen managed to sleep last night. He played well and should remember that bit.

Isn’t it nice to reflect on a great performance?

I know a lot of others have already commented on the joy that Kane Wilson seems to bring to the occasion.

As a school teacher, he constantly reminds me of the kid in the playground who always wants the ball, always has a smile on his face and loves to make magic happen. It is as though he forgets he is performing in front of so many rams fans.

Cherish this player whilst we are fortunate enough to have him folks, he is one of a kind 🐏 

25 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The first half hour was pretty unremarkable really and it looked as though a dour nil nil was on the cards.

I thought the penalty was a pretty obvious push and always had faith in Collins to smash it. 

That really was the turning point. It gave Collins some confidence and he was a menace after that and the whole team seemed to react to Barnsley’s play acting by upping their own aggression.

It was great to see us winning 50:50s and imposing ourselves on the opposition.

Barnsley wilted under the pressure and Wilson’s introduction made us look more dangerous.

Sure, the goals were scrappy and I hope yesterday’s win doesn’t mean we play long balls every week but I thoroughly enjoyed my day out.

I thought Nelson and Cashin did an excellent job keeping Cole quiet.

Hope Barkhuisen managed to sleep last night. He played well and should remember that bit.

Isn’t it nice to reflect on a great performance?

After about half an hour I revised my prediction to the person sitting next to me from 1:1 to 0:0 but not because I thought the football was dour but because the teams looked pretty evenly matched who cancelled each other out. I thought it might end up as an entertaining goalless draw.

25 minutes ago, Oakwood Ram said:

I know a lot of others have already commented on the joy that Kane Wilson seems to bring to the occasion.

As a school teacher, he constantly reminds me of the kid in the playground who always wants the ball, always has a smile on his face and loves to make magic happen. It is as though he forgets he is performing in front of so many rams fans.

Cherish this player whilst we are fortunate enough to have him folks, he is one of a kind 🐏 

He warms up right in front of where I sit and even then he is so enthusiastic,  acknowledging the crowd, oohing and aaghing at the on-pitch action and seemingly loving life.  

I was lucky enough to see him play at FGR a few times a couple of seasons ago and he was such a raw talent. Last season's injury set him right back (😉) but you can see he is just pleased to be fit and involved.

Maybe our recruitment team isn't so bad after all? 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

After about half an hour I revised my prediction to the person sitting next to me from 1:1 to 0:0 but not because I thought the football was dour but because the teams looked pretty evenly matched who cancelled each other out. I thought it might end up as an entertaining goalless draw.

They played more long ball stuff early than I anticipated. We really had to stand up to it. Forsyth, in particular, seemed to have a ridiculous number of headers. Thought Hourihane and Smith needed to do more when we did get the ball to get available to pass to, we often ended up just hoofing it back which devolved the game into what it was for much of the first half. So, I guess, positives that we stood up to a strength test which we so often don’t, but unfortunately didn’t then play our game on top of it. 

Just now, angieram said:

He warms up right in front of where I sit and even then he is so enthusiastic,  acknowledging the crowd, oohing and aaghing at the on-pitch action and seemingly loving life.  

I was lucky enough to see him play at FGR a few times a couple of seasons ago and he was such a raw talent. Last season's injury set him right back (😉) but you can see he is just pleased to be fit and involved.

Maybe our recruitment team isn't so bad after all? 

Wilson, Nyambe and Nelson all look like very good additions. Fornah, Washington, Vickers and even Bradley have shown they can offer something at times and it’s a long old season with plenty of games.
Let’s hope the likes of Elder, Ward and TJJ get over their injury problems in the next couple of weeks and can start to have meaningful contributions to the rest of our season 😃 

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Wilson, Nyambe and Nelson all look like very good additions. Fornah, Washington, Vickers and even Bradley have shown they can offer something at times and it’s a long old season with plenty of games.
Let’s hope the likes of Elder, Ward and TJJ get over their injury problems in the next couple of weeks and can start to have meaningful contributions to the rest of our season 😃 

I think what he didn’t sign is more of an issue than those he did, if that makes sense. We have glaring holes and attributes missing in attacking and midfield areas that weren’t addressed, whilst also seemingly recruiting for a style we can’t play given the personnel we do have. Obviously, we aren’t to know the reasons why but that was the end result. If we can stay in touch til January then do strong early business we have half a chance. 

Edited by Srg

Best I’ve seen is this season by far ,,, we looked organised and played as a unit , the fight to win the ball back was there and we didn’t leave massive gaps when we went at them , twinkle toes Wilson is a bag of tricks too , good signing ?
that extra goal would have been nice to see us go above Barnsley but you can have everything,

glad I havnt lost faith in warne to get it right up till now though it’s been a bit tough and was starting to have my concerns ,