Derby County Versus Barnsley - Match Day Thread - League 1

S8TY

10 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Collins actually did shag the third goal in, didn't he 🤣

It's funny because there was absolutely no reason why he couldn't just head it in.

He took the harder option to show off. Just like when players score with rabonas or back-heels, it's done to show off that extra flair and talent. I'm no longer sure if James Collins was born in Coventry, or Rio de Janeiro.

Really enjoyed that. First half more scrappy football but still deserved lead at half time. Second half much better football from us, better passing and squashed them totally with the second goal. Good team performance. Impressive watching Smith really marshalling everyone second half. Crowd lively too. Great afternoon!

9 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It's funny because there was absolutely no reason why he couldn't just head it in.

He took the harder option to show off. Just like when players score with rabonas or back-heels, it's done to show off that extra flair and talent. I'm no longer sure if James Collins was born in Coventry, or Rio de Janeiro.

did'nt trust his head

Thought we were a little lucky to be in the lead at half time, but we absolutely battered them second half. Best 45 mins this season in my opinion, considering the quality of the opposition. Much more like the level of dominance I expect us to exert in this league.

Only moan is it should’ve been 6 really. Some of our finishing… wow it was bad. That needs to be better in tighter games!

Enjoyed today, felt we got better and better as the game went on. No one had a poor game, Collins looked good. Had some nice touches and goals always help. Cashin was excellent and probably our best player.

Felt like we’ve simplified things. A lot of round pegs in round holes, everyone knowing their roles, pressed and attacked well. Defended well.

let’s see if we can go on a decent run!

24 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I thought that his chest was the better option. He only had to make the ball go forwards. If he'd tried to head it in it could have ballooned upwards instead of forwards.

Good result against a top 6 team.

What I liked about is today was the consistency. We tried to play the right way for the majority of the game and it worked well.

Good performance from Collins, I’m not a fan at all, but credit where it’s due. 

Most of the team hit at least a 7 out of 10 with Barks being the only one to struggle. Standouts we’re Collins, NML, Bird, Cash and Foz. Also a nice, but also effective cameo from Wilson.

Very good result and performance. 

Football wise, probably not as good as Northampton but Barnsley are a lot better than they are and didn’t allow it I be that kind of game. Most impressive facet of the game was us playing with strength and not allowing ourselves to be bullied which happens far too often. 

Thought we had numerous good/great performances. Starting at the back, Nelson was brilliant. Gave Cole absolutely nothing. Cashin improved through the games but made a couple of errors first half. Forsyth was brilliant, winning headers consistently and what a goal threat!

Barkhuizen was really, really good. One of his best performances I can remember, he was absolutely tireless and really deserved a goal from that awful miss.

Credit where it’s due for Collins. He bullied their smaller centre backs well, had good touches and lay offs to back it up too. Only a couple of times (including the booking) did he give away needless free kicks which are often infuriating - his best performance for us without a question. 

Wilson was once again fantastic in using the additional space. Deserved an assist. Couple of nutmegs down the line, great to see. Warne’s best signing? Maybe, given his age.

Still don’t agree with a midfield of Hourihane and Smith. Smith doesn’t seem to do anything particularly well and ends up not really doing much of anything. They don’t complement each other well, and their lack of movement meant we matched Barnsley’s hoofball game first half more than we needed to - they didn’t work hard enough to make options. Fornah would have made far more sense.

Little shame we didn’t get Weston on, seemed daft not to with us having subs available and the game being gone.

Overall though, different kettle of fish from basically any home performance all season. This should be the base line. Match teams physically and you always have a chance.