Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He made us play like we had Stoke's players, we don't. Continual crossing in the air into the box. Again. Why?

I think the players lumped it into the box because they lacked the technique or the ingenuity to do otherwise.

I don’t think that was a Warne tactic or they would have started with Collins.

The same team played on the floor last week.

43 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Sorry, what?

Praise/Defend (delete as appropriate) the performance by all means, but come on now.

This is League Two Crewe's reserve team we're talking about.

It was, and on the day, in a one-off 90 minutes, they defended very stoutly, better than plenty of league one outfits. These games can be tricky. Chesterfield of the national league beat Portsmouth, statistically the best team in league one. Cray Valley Paper Mills have just got a draw away at Charlton Athletic. 

Sometimes it’s not as straightforward as we might believe it should be.  

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He made us play like we had Stoke's players, we don't. Continual crossing in the air into the box. Again. Why?

I'd love to see clips of every cross we tried to make today. To say that's the way Warne wants us to play, you'd think we would practice it but we look so poor all of the time. Even Hourihane with nobody around him couldn't beat the first man or lift the ball off the floor. And if the ball does reach the box, nobody is anywhere near the end of it apart from a defender. 

IF we play it on the floor, we have Washington who like to run off the defenders shoulder who should get into some great positions. We have NML who should also be able to run off the defenders shoulder and kill them every time. But no, none of that football at Derby whilst PW is there. It's becoming very boring. 

56 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

After Tuesday night we were all full of beans, not because of Warne’s tactical  genius, but because he let the players do what they are good at. Maybe he had finally got the message and the corner had been turned. I had my doubts at the time, and was right to do so because today was same old, same old. Albeit with a slightly different coat to make it look like football, but it was still Warne-ball.

DAMM!

Not all, Bearing in mind Northampton's game plan was to leave huge holes in their middle for us to exploit, We've played in games where we were poor, Played in games where shots were as rare as hens teeth, Played in games where the opposition had the lions share of the ball.

I didn't think this was Warne ball, Crewe and fare play to them stuck players behind the ball where it was difficult to penetrate, Getting the ball out wide looked to be the only ploy of getting the ball into dangerous areas, Shots, Possession, Corners, Passes will tell you we had the lions share of the game, Where we fell down...imo...was we haven't that personnel who has the guile to break down a packed defence, At 2-0 it was Crewe's game to lose, But I guess if you hit all those shots 1-2 may just find the target.

Chesterfield, Scarboro, Aldershot, Horsham, Barrow and lowly Cray Valley Paper Mills all had good results against higher opposition, Is the FA cup still alive?...yep and we're still in it.

Not an enjoyable game to watch...until the 89th minute 😁 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Interested to know why you think he will cost Clowes a fortune?

Id hazard a guess that the last 2 seasons have probably yielded some of our best financial results in the past 20 years.

My logic on that is that the longer we spend in League One playing a (mostly) poor brand of football the more fans will drift away, the less revenue the club will generate (gates, merch, TV rights etc) and the quality of player we are able to attract will diminish. We could slip in to a cycle of long term decline that I think is avoidable.

If the above comes to pass then Clowes will be the man responsible for plugging the gap.

26 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

What was said, are you able to summarise?

Was good, really worth a listen back on BBC Sounds. 

Colin Gibson was in disbelief over Warne’s post match interview. Really don’t think that Gibson is keen on Warne, IMO. 

The thing I found most interesting was Steele saying he firmly believes Clowes will have told Warne that things must improve from now until January, despite the statement last Monday. 

27 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

It was, and on the day, in a one-off 90 minutes, they defended very stoutly, better than plenty of league one outfits. These games can be tricky. Chesterfield of the national league beat Portsmouth, statistically the best team in league one. Cray Valley Paper Mills have just got a draw away at Charlton Athletic. 

Sometimes it’s not as straightforward as we might believe it should be.  

I didn't say it was.

But you can point that out without making nonsense claims about the actual quality of the opposition.

Other teams having poor results doesn't excuse out own poor results.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

It should also be said that Collins looked level at worst for his disallowed goal and NML should have buried that header at 0-1, so although we were sloppy at both ends at times, IMO we deserved at least a draw.

He was definitely offside. Not by a lot, but it was the correct call.

Good to see you back by the way.

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

It really wasn't same old same old, you must be watching a different game to me,,,what was same old was our wasteful woeful finishing especially Barks who I still think gives us something. playing like we did today all we need is a good striker also Washington is a good foil for a good striker 

He’s smoked ya!

I didn’t watch the game, but I believe we had something like 700 passes and 30-odd shots at goal with almost 80% possession. 

I thought the majority wanted Warne out because we didn’t play in that manner more often? It’s hard for a manager to have total control over situations in football games, it’s not FIFA, all he can really do is set up a team in a way that generates the most possession, opportunities and the players are liable for the rest. 

Again, without watching the game, but just looking at the box score, I’m not sure how you can blame Warne for this?