Derby County vs Stevenage (A) Match Thread

Idiakez

2 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Theres ur answer

we have to have a manager 

weve been through loads in the last 10 years all not deemed good enough by sections of our fanbase 

so when does it stop ? 

As I said couldn't get worse, can't give a poor manager time. Clowes has to take the hit and pay out his contract. 

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this but how many formations did we play in that game? Mendez Laing played in at least three different positions, I think barkhuizen did as well and was only on half hour.

it’s just a mess. It takes a while to work out what we’re doing after each substitution. Am sure is equally confusing for the players.

1 minute ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

If he had any decency, he would... sadly there's not many decent people in the football business!

I’m getting nearer and nearer to the firm “Warne out” camp but I really don’t understand this talk of doing the decent thing and resigning. Football managers just don’t do that (not as far as I can remember anyway). Why would he throw away a three year contract, or compensation if he was sacked, when he probably thinks we’re not out of it yet (he probably has more confidence in his ability to achieve what is increasingly looking like the impossible than the rest of us) and he can turn it around? 

I get that he wouldn’t want a sacking on his CV (although it seems far less damaging in the world of football management that it would be for the rest of us) but is throwing in the towel any better for him?

I also understand the pressure he must be under but I would strongly suspect he can cope (at the moment) with the emotional pressure. Like I said, it must be incredibly rare for a manager to simply walk away unless they have another job to walk into.

I don’t think it’s much to do with decency but more a case of common sense. “I think I can still do it but if you think I’m not good enough then sack me”

I’d love it if Warne could make a success of it (I find most of his interviews pretty cringe worthy but I wouldn’t consider him an unlikeable person) but my confidence levels can’t get much lower. Tuesday now almost becomes another “must win” game.

Wasn’t expecting much change out of a Steve Evans side which are always difficult to play against as they are big, physical, high energy and know a simple game plan. Exactly what DCFC has not been for most of the last 3 decades. 

Warne has lost control now. Every week is random. He in that hope only mode where he hopes we might win a game, but actually is doing nothing about it. He has to go, and if Clowes doesn’t have the balls to do it, he has to go too.

Warne's analysis... "we weren't physical enough".

How do you manage this group?

"To be honest I've never had to manage a team whose fans are giving it to them".

I.e. I haven't a clue.

"I'm really disappointed in the players."

"We have some really good players, they just need to be more aggressive".

"Anyone watching the game today can see what we are missing"

What are we missing?

"I'm not going to tell you that. What do you think we are missing?"

Not my job (great reply from Dom there)

Edited by therealhantsram

It wasn’t a 3-1 game. Two dubious free kicks and two really poor pieces of goalkeeping ultimately cost us. Looked good for first 15-20 mins of the second half but didn’t quite fall for us, or players (Washington, Bird) taking too long to shoot. Fizzled out to some degree as we tried to force the issue. On a positive note Mendez looks back to his best although he was also guilty of taking too many touches at times. 

I could take the defeat better had we played at our second half level through the game but that first half was abject. At no point did we impose our game on Stevenage and as a result we got done by two dodgy free kicks. Is that the manager? Is that the players? The great man said people talk nonsense about tactics, players win/lose you games, either way the buck stops with the manager.

Pressure again on Tuesday now. Two home games, he’s got to win them both for me to stay on board with him but my gut feeling is we’re going nowhere and a change is going to be needed at some point. The league is so poor this season it’s a great chance to get out of it but right now we are a poor team. An average league one team.