Can anyone actually name a single improvement Warne has done since arriving?

GeneralRam

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The criticism at the time wasn’t unreasonable. We were crap and looked like we were going nowhere.

Fair play to the ones who backed him to turn it around. 

He’s our manager, a good man, and he’s written himself into Derby County history. 

Up the Rams.

I don’t want to start a squabble at such a happy time but “crap and going nowhere” illustrates this misplaced demand for instant success. It’s something that rarely happens. I’d say, that at that time we looked lacklustre, disjointed, not working in harmony or being better than the sum of our parts (which is what a team game needs) Warne was new at the time, had inherited players and little room to buy. He needed time to build that group in to team. He needed to Instill his culture and methods. That took time.  He succeeded.
That is why I get so narky when the knives come out after a couple of bad results. I am going to say the same next season when we are 15th in the table  just had a bore draw at home against a lower ranked side. Patience. 

53 minutes ago, jono said:

I don’t want to start a squabble at such a happy time but “crap and going nowhere” illustrates this misplaced demand for instant success. It’s something that rarely happens. I’d say, that at that time we looked lacklustre, disjointed, not working in harmony or being better than the sum of our parts (which is what a team game needs) Warne was new at the time, had inherited players and little room to buy. He needed time to build that group in to team. He needed to Instill his culture and methods. That took time.  He succeeded.
That is why I get so narky when the knives come out after a couple of bad results. I am going to say the same next season when we are 15th in the table  just had a bore draw at home against a lower ranked side. Patience. 

Fair enough. At the time, it just felt like we weren’t going to ever put together a consistent enough run of results to get us up. 

I’ve never been so delighted to be wrong.

On 16/09/2023 at 17:46, Cam the Ram said:

The number of good characters in the dressing room has increased dramatically. They can't play football together very well, but in training they have a right laugh with each other.

Hey, I was absolutely spot on about the good characters he's managed to bring in. It's one of the most likeable groups we've had in a very long time, and that's saying something considering the Lampard, Clough and McClaren teams 🤣

And even though the football can be quite tough on the eye at times, they do now seem to be able to play football together quite well, especially the defence!

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Fair enough. At the time, it just felt like we weren’t going to ever put together a consistent enough run of results to get us up. 

I’ve never been so delighted to be wrong.

I think you’ve been incredibly straight in saying so. None of us have a monopoly on “the right call”  I wanted Tommo to start yesterday as I felt he’d deserved it, then maybe give Max the last 20 to say good bye. Rather glad the manager didn’t agree ! 

3 hours ago, jono said:

Bang on 

2 hours ago, bcnram said:

Most important improvement Warne has made is Warne himself. 
Still much to do in that department now back in Championship where his previous record is not so good. 

Hes managing a totally different animal now in the championship.

rotherham have the pulling power of me after 10 pints

derby county could pull in a nunery in comparison

hes going to be offering players to come and play for one of the biggest clubs outside the premiership.. at a proper level of football that could offer players a gateway to the premiership if they perform.

we may be being more sensible and not be able to compete with the parachute brigade but i think we give him the time he deserves to fashion his idea of a side. Still to operate without restriction.. im quietly confident tbh 

with time ( being key) 

Edited by NottsRam77

22 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Hes managing a totally different animal now in the championship.

rotherham have the pulling power of me after 10 pints

derby county could pull in a nunery in comparison

hes going to be offering players to come and play for one of the biggest clubs outside the premiership.. at a proper level of football that could offer players a gateway to the premiership if they perform.

we may be being more sensible and not be able to compete with the parachute brigade but i think we give him the time he deserves to fashion his idea of a side. Still to operate without restriction.. im quietly confident tbh 

with time ( being key) 

Totally agree. I hope he can find some players who WANT to be here though, rather than seeing us as a stepping stone. Much rather sign hungry young or league one players then prem/championship mercenaries. I really like Warne's attitude that they have to earn their place in the team, regardless of who they are or who they signed from.

We should be able to attract some decent loans from the Prem, as well as some permanent talent who want to be here for the long haul.

Exciting summer ahead, but the hard work starts here.