Is expectation too high .

Curtains

Pretty much the same thread as how many points do you think we should have by now after 6 games ,most posts suggest we are slightly under par in points terms but its the performances are dismal but you rightly suggest we are sat ok at the moment in the table and i do think our expectations are higher than that

2 minutes ago, Justa said:

For me it’s more the way we are playing - the way we keep making the same mistakes as last season etc

Exactly.  There's no sign of any improvement.  Aside from the obvious mistakes I thought we showed an element of composure and control against Wigan but other games have been totally chaotic.  I've no idea what the game plan was against Bolton, it was just a total mess.  I'm not sure the players are any the wiser either.

No.

Why is our expectation too high? 

"Full minutes - SCG Meeting with David Clowes and Stephen Pearce 22.09.22

...Paul Warne brings experience and now is his time for a big job at a big club. Other clubs were after him, both those with and those without a manager currently. David Clowes liked how he treats players, and journalists, encouraging everyone to get the best out of themselves."

We have a budget good enough for promotion from this league and a squad with lots of Warnes chosen players in it. Although (again from those minutes) "With regards to the players we signed and his style, Paul is adaptable, but he was after some of our players in the summer. His teams are running teams and he is happy with the players he has."

So Warne was signed for his experience in League 1 promotion, we are a 'big club' and he has a squad he was/is happy with, that he has added to. He also has a good budget from the Clubs owner.

Why shouldn't our expectation be high?

I thought Saturday the injury to Rooney was a massive blow.  Bradley did well at first and was punching the air after one stop tackle and high fiving with Fozzy but unfortunately then came the misunderstandings with Wildsmith and the sending off  

The penalty given away by Smith was poor. 

The referee was a disgrace. The same ref as Plymouth away last season. 

I think Bolton had lots of possession against our 10 but a deflection did us. 

I hope Rooney recovers ok but it looked bad. 

Narrow defeat but we move on 

Edited by Curtains
Altered for phrasing

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No.

...Paul Warne brings experience and now is his time for a big job at a big club. Other clubs were after him, both those with and those without a manager currently. David Clowes liked how he treats players, and journalists, encouraging everyone to get the best out of themselves."

We have a budget good enough for promotion from this league and a squad with lots of Warnes chosen players in it. Although (again from those minutes) "With regards to the players we signed and his style, Paul is adaptable, but he was after some of our players in the summer. His teams are running teams and he is happy with the players he has."

So Warne was signed for his experience in League 1 promotion, we are a 'big club' and he has a squad he was/is happy with, that he has added to. He also has a good budget from the Clubs owner.

I think the players are struggling at the minute but that doesn’t mean it’s season defining.  We will get better when injuries clear up and the lad from Sunderland looks a good acquisition.  

2 week break will help us refocus 

Need to beat Pompey 

Edited by Curtains

I think in terms of the manner or style of our play, fans are entitled to be wondering what's up. It does seem to me that Warne neither knows his best team, nor where some players are best deployed. Of course it's an opinions game, but I'd cite Smith's role in the last game as a fresh example of something we saw a lot of last season. Likewise the ongoing back 3 / back 4 dilemma, which we seem no closer to solving. It's a worry and one that is further exacerbated by Rooney's injury.

Where expectations definitely were too high, was during the transfer window. Again though, I'd say there's valid reason for disquiet even among those like myself who are not pro-Warne, but nor are they in the 'get him gone immediately' camp either; for my part, I don't see how the players brought in complement the system Warne wants to play. He wants pace, but seems to have gone for experience instead, though I do think if the defence click, they could still be a very tough unit.

In fairness, there's still time and like Rosenior, Warne is hamstringed by injuries to some key personnel and again like Liam, he's brought in who he considered he had to / could, rather than perhaps some of those whom he was hoping for. Caveats aside though, for the most part, I do not see a consistent structure or gameplan, nor do I see players who clearly understand their role and are adapting well, game by game. It's that lack of progress and a total lack of consistency that's my principal concern, but we saw the team suddenly click last season and I do believe the current squad (when fit and healthy) could do some damage in what is a weak division, even by L1 standards.

So...... Warne to get more time, would be my call, but I'll be getting very twitchy if in a month's time we've not seen some clear improvement. Perhaps these two weeks offer an opportunity to do a little more ball work, as the lads seem fit enough right now. We don't need needless injuries because we've tuned them too tight and we do still need to work on our cohesiveness. Quite honestly, if Warne does prove sub-par, we could have got ourselves in a bit of a pickle here, with all best intentions duly noted, as there'll be no quick fix.

Edited by Comrade 86

No, expectations are fine in terms of this season should be at the least a serious run at getting promoted.

However, getting in a tizzy after a few games or acting like being outside the top 6 is an indignity unworthy of DCFC is all a bit much.

But for saying that, the team hasn't been convincing yet this season.

9 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I thought Saturday the injury to Rooney was a massive blow.  Bradley did well at first and was punching the air after one stop tackle and high fiving with Fozzy but unfortunately then came the misunderstandings with Wildsmith and the sending off  

The penalty given away by Smith was poor. 

The referee was a disgrace. The same ref as Plymouth away last season. 

I think Bolton had lots of possession against our 10 but a deflection did us. 

I hope Rooney recovers ok but it looked bad. 

Narrow defeat but we move on 

Aside from set pieces we never looked like scoring.  We barely got into their half let alone the final third.  Despite our apparent desire to press like Liverpool (someone has got to be joking surely) Bolton got to the edge of our box time and time again.  

The referee was terrible for sure but I don't really think we deserved anything out of the game.

5 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Aside from set pieces we never looked like scoring.  We barely got into their half let alone the final third.  Despite our apparent desire to press like Liverpool (someone has got to be joking surely) Bolton got to the edge of our box time and time again.  

The referee was terrible for sure but I don't really think we deserved anything out of the game.

So that challenge on Bradley wasn’t a penalty then and why after we scored did the referee make us take a penalty .

The bloke is a joke .

Plymouth penalty at their place was a joke as well.

PS We had 10 men 

Even when we beat Forest with 10 it was a breakaway.

We are not Liverpool and not many are as good as them 

Edited by Curtains
Added

29 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

I mean Paul literally stated that his style of play is similar to Liverpool

I don’t expect us to win every game. I’d like to see progression from last season and the players have a better understanding of what the manager wants from them. Entertaining football would be nice but I’d take substance over style. The manager getting the best out of the squad and giving academy lads a chance as well when they’ve earned it.

I don't think the expectation is too high. Ambitious at this point. I think it should be more a case of managing your expectations.  Warne inherited the team last year. This year is his first attempt "to build HIS team" . They have only been together for a handful of games. They need some time.

Weren't Manchester United looking at sacking Ferguson after around 6 or 7 games. Didn't do too badly did he. And before those of you who will say, Warne is no ferguson and Derby are no MU. I am purely saying manage those expectations and be a little patient.  

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

No.

Warne said anything less than promotion is failure. Who are we to disagree?