Is expectation too high .

Curtains

27 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

we were lucky to beat peterborough, and incredibly lucky to beat fleetwood at home. Could easily have 6 points less and be in the relegation zone

I’ve agreed with most of what you have said in this thread but I’m not sure we were that “lucky” to beat Peterborough. Yes, they were in control for the first 20 minutes or so (you’d expect that from the home team) and had the better chances in the second half but you can’t ignore the fact that we scored 4 goals. Only Waggy’s second had any element of luck to it. 

36 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

we were lucky to beat peterborough, and incredibly lucky to beat fleetwood at home. Could easily have 6 points less and be in the relegation zone

We could also count ourselves unlucky to not get a point or perhaps more in the three games we have lost.

A few chances and a few decisions go our way and by the same logic, we could easily have 3-4 points more and be considered flying.

Football is often down to very fine margins.

@Chris_Martin

Which are these ‘worse teams with worse players’?

How do you quantify this?

Bear in mind, Wigan, Bolton and Blackpool all finished in a higher position than us last season.

Oxford have looked one good appointment and one good transfer window from being a threat in League 1 for some time.

Some of our fans would build a shrine to Brannagan before the ink was dry on his contract if he signed for us, for instance.

I think you are doing the teams we have played a disservice.

2 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

@Chris_Martin

Which are these ‘worse teams with worse players’?

How do you quantify this?

Bear in mind, Wigan, Bolton and Blackpool all finished in a higher position than us last season.

Oxford have looked one good appointment and one good transfer window from being a threat in League 1 for some time.

Some of our fans would build a shrine to Brannagan before the ink was dry on his contract if he signed for us, for instance.

I think you are doing the teams we have played a disservice.

Lets settle into this league for a while longer ay? We should be better than we are currently, both positionally and footballing wise. If we aren't then we have the wrong manager - all facts point to that. We are a big club with plenty of money and support. We should be able to attract the best players at this level and hold on to our young players as they look forward to playing in the Championship with us. And yet...

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I wish I lived in a universe where nobody ever makes mistakes. (Before anyone picks me up on this, I’m not saying he didn’t make other mistakes in this game but we are talking about this one specific incident). I imagine he believed at the time that he was sure in his mind.

As I’ve said before, it must happen all the time that referees have to make decisions based on what they believed they saw given they only get one chance to view the incident even though they may be subsequently proved to be wrong. If we’re only going to allow referees to make decisions if they are guaranteed to be right and can never subsequently proved to be wrong with the benefit of slow motion video replays from various angles then we’ll see a significant drop in penalties etc. 

#twaddle 

5 hours ago, vonwright said:

I sort-of agree with this - new players definitely take time to get - but I do think two other points are important. 

One is that Warne has had plenty of time last season to bed in his style of play. 

The other is that he wasn't building on nothing. There were plenty of good players here already. And he's spent a lot of money on top of that getting more players in to fit his preferred system. Neither were most of these long-term signings - they are older players and presumably aimed squarely at a run at promotion now. So for me the window for showing better performances, far more cohesion, and ultimately better results is far smaller than for those saying 'these things take many years!'

I would argue he hasn't spent a great deal at all. We are still under EFL restrictions, although relaxed somewhat.  You can only play a certain style of football if you have the right pegs in the right holes. So he did try to play his style last year but with the wrong pegs. Hopefully the new incumbents will be the right ones given time to get used to each other.

4 hours ago, Curtains said:

Osula went in January back to Sheff U .

We are certainly not weaker  now .

Just watched the highlights on Rams Tv and it’s as I thought when I was at the game on Saturday we were robbed .

Smith tackled outside box so no penalty for me.

We shouldn’t have had to take our penalty as we had already scored .

They scored the winner with looping deflection off Fornah from a cross leaving Vickers out of position.

We were the team pressing at the end of the game with 10 men .

Reality is we ain’t that bad 

Osula still played so is included. We lost on Saturday partly due to referee error after another  Bradley error . Never had a shot after going ahead and at best this is a top 6 side once Ward, Embledon and JJ get going. 

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lets settle into this league for a while longer ay? We should be better than we are currently, both positionally and footballing wise. If we aren't then we have the wrong manager - all facts point to that. We are a big club with plenty of money and support. We should be able to attract the best players at this level and hold on to our young players as they look forward to playing in the Championship with us. And yet...

All I am seeing here is opinion being dressed as fact.

7 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Osula still played so is included. We lost on Saturday partly due to referee error after another  Bradley error . Never had a shot after going ahead and at best this is a top 6 side once Ward, Embledon and JJ get going. 

Who’s your Top 2 then 

24 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’ve agreed with most of what you have said in this thread but I’m not sure we were that “lucky” to beat Peterborough. Yes, they were in control for the first 20 minutes or so (you’d expect that from the home team) and had the better chances in the second half but you can’t ignore the fact that we scored 4 goals. Only Waggy’s second had any element of luck to it. 

Peterborough could easily have scored 4/5 goals. They got 2, hit the bar, numerous chances, one cleared off line. Yes we scored 4, but first one was a deflected cross, one was just a set piece their GK probably should have saved, one was a worldie that certainly won't happen every week. And the other was Waggy's deflected one that wrong footed the GK. We scored with all 4 of our shots on goal and our xg for the game was only 0.95 .There aren't many occasions when a team gets 0.95 xg and scores 4 goals, therefore we were quite lucky

40 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

We could also count ourselves unlucky to not get a point or perhaps more in the three games we have lost.

A few chances and a few decisions go our way and by the same logic, we could easily have 3-4 points more and be considered flying.

Football is often down to very fine margins.

the bolton and oxford games we unfortunately deserved to lose. It's only really the wigan game we've been slightly unlucky. 

10 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Peterborough could easily have scored 4/5 goals. They got 2, hit the bar, numerous chances, one cleared off line. Yes we scored 4, but first one was a deflected cross, one was just a set piece their GK probably should have saved, one was a worldie that certainly won't happen every week. And the other was Waggy's deflected one that wrong footed the GK. We scored with all 4 of our shots on goal and our xg for the game was only 0.95 .There aren't many occasions when a team gets 0.95 xg and scores 4 goals, therefore we were quite lucky

d94beb1d-3016-4c68-b25b-0224766d5460_tex

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I still think the effect of administration is under estimated.  Not just the obvious impact of relegation but everything behind the scenes.  The club was decimated and needs a rebuild from the bottom up.  This takes time, and money.

We should have expectation of getting out of L1.  But should we expect it quickly?  I recommend watching the documentary “The Fall and Rise of Luton Town”.  After administration and relegation from the EFL it took them 5 years to get back.  Their CEO said they wanted to come straight back but they benefited from it taking longer as the club was ready due to the rebuild required.  I’m sure if you asked their fans back then they’d be frustrated, but I bet now they wouldn’t swap it for anything.

I know there are no guarantees, etc, etc, etc but I’m using this as context for our situation.  Even without administration, Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Ipswich and more have had to be patient.

Not sure how the effects of administration can be to blame for players of the quality of Hourihane not being able to string three passes together.   That's got to be on the coaching staff.

2 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Could have score 4 or 5 but didn’t. Had numerous chances but only scored 2. Our first was only a very minor deflection and didn’t change the direction of the ball by much. Their keeper “probably should have saved” our second goal but he didn’t. We’re talking about this game so it’s irrelevant whether we’ll score a worldie every week. Again, it doesn’t matter if there aren’t many occasions when a team gets 0.95 xg and scores 4 - we did and only one had any element of luck. We converted our chances and they didn’t convert theirs. Not much to do with luck.

None of the current playing staff have cost a transfer fee, except for Craig Forsyth over 10 years ago for 150k. The wages will also still be limited . We will come out of this, but the expectation and impatience is inevitable after having dealt heavily in the transfer market for decades.There was a short period in the 80s when Arthur Cox bought people like Hindmarch etc on frees, and within 4 or 5 years we were back in the big time after almost going out of business. We have to stick with Paul Warne and trust him and his team to get us up. We couldn’t afford to sack them all anyway!!