Fan Forum (not this one)

Stive Pesley

On 13/09/2023 at 09:02, Stive Pesley said:

"the finance guy"? He's the CEO of the club! Chief Executive Officer is the highest ranking employee. He's been the CEO for 5 years.

I've been at loads of these things before and I remember people queuing to have  their photos taken with Tom Glick & Sam Rush

Agreed.

I've lost count of the number of fans with Pearce CEO on the back of their shirts.

What players were at these other forums you were at out of interest?

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

Having watched it all carefully I'm still not happy with Warnes flippant attitude towards the academy

He is the type of fella who doesn't care for Academies.

He isn't interested in long term vision, bringing through players and giving youth a chance.

He prefers to sign experienced pros who can get the job done now...any minute now.

23 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He isn't interested in long term vision, bringing through players and giving youth a chance.

He prefers to sign experienced pros who can get the job done now...any minute now.

sam winchester yawn GIF This  relentless Warne bashing is getting very tiresome

26 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Of course he does for the time being.

He is relatively fresh into the job and is under real pressure from a very demanding fan base, so for him to be putting time into developing players for 3, 4 or even 5 years time would be selfless in the extreme.

I'm sure that he would love to have a team of academy graduates ready to call on, but for the time being his priority has to be getting a squad together to be successful now, especially as he doesn't have the resources available to to buy first team players let alone plough money into the 18s and 21s

If he still has no interest in the youth teams in a couple of years time, then criticise him but at the moment it just looks like another convenient stick to beat him with

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I guess the issue is why bother with long term vision when managers are generally out of a job in 2 / 3 years!

23 hours ago, Rev said:

Pearce is either incompetent, or a coward. 

Neither trait is particularly desirable in any employee, never mind in a CEO.

I get that position. On the flip side, he had the minerals to turn up and face folks at the forum, and to stick it out when thousands were chanting for him to go.

Also, a man as shrewd, experienced an successful as David Clowes reckons he's competent.

Where I come out on this is he should have a clean slate.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What players were at these other forums you were at out of interest?

I don't actually remember there being any players at the other fan forums I've been to before - it's usually managers, owners and chief execs. Which I prefer - Waggy and Connor were pretty boring to be honest. The questions weren't great and they were just in their media training comfort zones giving bland non-controversial answers in the main. Warne was the only one ad-libbing

53 minutes ago, MaltRam said:

I get that position. On the flip side, he had the minerals to turn up and face folks at the forum, and to stick it out when thousands were chanting for him to go.

Also, a man as shrewd, experienced an successful as David Clowes reckons he's competent.

Where I come out on this is he should have a clean slate.

He also had the minerals to turn up at a previous forum, and assure us that every single pie sold would help us clear P&S rules, whilst he knew the owner had already sold the stadium to himself.

On 13/09/2023 at 07:29, angieram said:

I disagree.

He had made his statement at the beginning of the Forum and he must be very cautious about stating anything that would cause legal trouble for the Club.

There are a certain section of the fanbase that will never move on from using him as the scapegoat and are just looking to criticise him at every opportunity. It says more about them than it does about Pearce to be honest. 

If I'm honest, I think it says more about a bloke that he felt comfortable staying in a job as the chief financial officer after he almost led to the liquidation of the institution he was in charge of. 

10 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That's unfair. Likelihood is he's never had the chance to be involved in and utilise a big academy. SP's comments confirmed how decimated the academy was and how big a rebuild it still is with a realistic gap to regularly hoping to bring players through. It was clear PW is involved.
PW gets criticism for everything he does so if he was more involved with academy posters would say "never mind that he needs to focus on getting performances from the first team". 

9 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Surely the aim is to leave the place in a better condition than when you arrived including the academy. OK Warne has a big chance of achieving this.

In an ideal world you’re right but sadly managers have to focus on the here and now and what will keep them in their job. Warne won’t be remembered for the condition he left the academy in. A successful academy won’t protect him from the sack nor will a failing one cause him to lose his job. He’ll be remembered for how successful he is with the first team. He’ll also know how long he remains manager of Derby is almost entirely dependent on how successful the first team is. I know it’s a little cynical but I’m not sure how much your legacy counts. I’ve thought about this before when attending retirement events for senior people I’ve really respected. The feeling for a few weeks is “they did a great job whilst they were here” but sadly, they are soon almost forgotten as their replacement introduces their ways, imposes their personality and takes responsibility or praise for the failures and successes under their tenure.

7 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

If I'm honest, I think it says more about a bloke that he felt comfortable staying in a job as the chief financial officer after he almost led to the liquidation of the institution he was in charge of. 

He's not been CFO for quite a few years now - MM promoted him to CEO, but your point remains a good one

In all honesty I think we all know the real reason he's still here is simply a case of continuity. The Administrators had no idea how to keep the club operating on a day to day level, so kept him on. Clowes the same. If either of them had ditched Pearce and replaced him without handover, then it would have been exponentially more difficult to keep business operations going.

He pretty much admitted that himself in his opening speech.

He's a classic Teflon Don - nothing has stuck to him, and his tactic now is to pretend like there is nothing to see here

And if the club stays solvent, no more drama and results improve then we'll not care. Like we didn't care when it was going well under MM and he was "one of our own"

1 minute ago, Stive Pesley said:

He's not been CFO for quite a few years now - MM promoted him to CEO, but your point remains a good one

In all honesty I think we all know the real reason he's still here is simply a case of continuity. The Administrators had no idea how to keep the club operating on a day to day level, so kept him on. Clowes the same. If either of them had ditched Pearce and replaced him without handover, then it would have been exponentially more difficult to keep business operations going.

He pretty much admitted that himself in his opening speech.

He's a classic Teflon Don - nothing has stuck to him, and his tactic now is to pretend like there is nothing to see here

And if the club stays solvent, no more drama and results improve then we'll not care. Like we didn't care when it was going well under MM and he was "one of our own"

Sorry, that was actually a mistype on my keyboard. Yeah, his opening speech was interesting in the fact it didn't contain much protein at all. It sounded like he wanted to express gratitude towards Clowes and that he's been working hard to fix things behind the scenes. Personally, I think Clowes two big mistakes since coming here have been giving Warne a 4-year deal and keeping Pearce hanging around as well.