So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

49 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’d take Idiakez in a heartbeat.

You know, it’s increasingly common that holding midfielders make decent managers/coaches because they could always understand the game better. Rather than relying on physical attributes, they used their brain.

The obvious examples being Guardiola and now Arteta and Xabi Alonso.

But Gary O’Neil is now another. Thomas Frank was an amateur central midfielder.

Idiakez was an intelligent player. I think from a coaching perspective he probably has the footballing brain to go far.

John Eustace isn't doing too bad either.

56 minutes ago, jameso said:

Is the plan that the next one in line succeeds the one who's just been sacked until they're all used up?

Otherwise I'm worried that if we have to sack them all at once we'll have no other ex-players-now-doing-something-in-management-and/or-coaching left to turn to. Except Igor. (Add him to the list?)

He's loving life - and being best buddies Narendra Modi. He's in India long term; no takeaway there.

Love me some Bucko but he couldn't get Burton going.

Paul Simpson is definitely worth a look at. I know he hasn't had the best track record in management although he certainly has proven himself at Carlisle. 

Can't see Chris Wilder coming here. I find him similar to Warne to be honest (abit of a knob).

15 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why? It's quite clear we have the players in the squad and U21s to play a back 4 well, defence was never really our problem. But now we have a bit more of a midfield problem, but play NML and Barks and Sibs where they ought to be and hey presto.

Need Barks and Sibs fit to do that. Barks is still not training with the squad yet and Sibs wasn't considered ready enough for the bench on Tuesday so we'll have to wait for those two.

17 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Got them from the relegation places to just below mid table last season, not too shabby…

Not quite. They were 20th when he took over (outside the relegation zone) and they finished 15th (so, depends on your definition of “just below mid table”). Maybe the Hull fans expectations were higher than 15th.

8 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Need Barks and Sibs fit to do that. Barks is still not training with the squad yet and Sibs wasn't considered ready enough for the bench on Tuesday so we'll have to wait for those two.

Well we signed players who also weren't fit, so no guarantees there either.

My choice at the moment would be Gary Bowyer.

He's worked with our academy a couple of times (and Blackburn's) so has a firm understanding of the expectations that comes with getting players into the first team.

He improves sides (look at Blackburn before and after his appointment as a clea example).

He was Scottish Championship manager of the season last season so will have decent knowledge of a market we should be tapping into again.

90% of the suggestions in this thread are ex Derby players/coaches. I understand why people like the idea, but we need to ditch this mindset. There's no evidence to suggest that people with previous connections to a club are any better suited to managerial/coaching roles than anyone else.

Warne must be given the season. I don't like what I'm currently seeing, but as a club we made the call to invest in him and sign the players he wanted. Constantly changing managers for years and having to sign a whole new set of players to suit them landed us in financial trouble. We should at least learn from the experience.

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Chris Wilder would be the obvious one as he's style would suit the squad Paul Warne has assembled. 

Darren Moore would just be more of the same so I can't see the point in that. 

Several people have said similar - that Warne has assembled some sort of a route 1 squad, or a squad suited to pressing and 3 at the back etc. I disagree. He has assembled an old squad by adding predominantly old players to a squad that was already old. I think our squad is better suited to playing a slower possession game - and certainly 4 at the back. I don't particularly fancy Darren Moore either. I think a short term appointment to get us organised and sort this mess out, somebody experienced. Dare I say Neil Warnock? I bet he would absolutely love to have one last stand at Derby