Derby vs Fleetwood - Match Thread

Rampant

Hopefully use this is a springboard for the next two away games.

Lose them both and this scrappy win against a team currently in the bottom four will look like a papering the cracks job.

We all know Warne’s record against the better teams is dire.

The next two is where he earns his wage.

Come on Warne. Come on Derby.

15 minutes ago, Sheff Ram said:

Second half performance was poorer than the 1st half, but we hung on in there and 3 points is 3 points.

The two teams we have lost to narrowly are both decent and just for a bit of perspective, if we'd have beaten Oxford in the week we would have been 2nd. 

Early days and still a number of things that need to be improved, but feeling a bit more optimistic now. Although the next 4 league games are tough ones...

If both their chances that hit the woodwork go in we’re on 3 points and it’s toxic. We were much closer to losing today than winning against Oxford so the ‘ifs’ are not relevant tbh.

5 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Paul Warne on Radio Derby saying we're close to bringing in another right wing back! I say that would be dumb.

Obsession for 5-3-2 still remains then. 

Edited by Diego

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

A hundred times better than Tuesday night (take your pick from the last two). 

But despite looking much more coherent and less like hoofball merchants the same underlying issues are still there. 

Midfield not the right balance Fleetwood got through quite a few times still. Be a big problem when facing the good sides in this league. 

limited chance creation. 3 shots on target at home and 44% possession against one of the poorer teams in the division. 

A goal that came about from a misplaced shot rather than a well worked move (granted the play before this was quite neat). 

Fleetwood rattled the post and bar and based on chances would arguably feel hard done by leaving with 0 points. 

cracks papered over yet again but like I mentioned other day, I expect us to be flat track bullies and get it done agains these teams, I just can see how we win against better teams… 

switching to 5 at the back and clinging on for the last 15 just didn’t make sense. We have better players, why must we resort to 15 minutes of bodies behind the ball? 

jump-out-window.gif

Shout outs for Fozzie and Waggy. 
slightly bigger shouts for Rooney & Thommo. 
Might be on my own here, but my biggest shout goes out to Cashin. 
No, he wasn’t back to his imperious best. And no he wasn’t a perfect 10. But much better than of recent, and certainly displayed some classy moments that we all know he is capable of. 
More of the same please… and in a Rams shirt, if you don’t mind. 🐏

30 minutes ago, SSD said:

Stopped the rot. That's as positive as I can be sadly about that performance.

Harsh!
I was particularly impressed with the first half.  Some attractive play on show at times. 
second half was more “resilient” admittedly, but it was still a good job well done over 90 minutes. 
🐏

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If we didn't before we certainly do now

26 minutes ago, rammieib said:

When we are hanging on in there against a relegation side in Fleetwood, it’s worrying.

It was better for sure but we must go for the second goal more convincingly.

Im still in the Warne out camp sadly.

I disagree, we must hold onto a 1-0 lead more effectively by controlling the game, rather relying on the opposition's wastefulness.

It was a welcome win, but an uncomfortable one and the focus on results of others we've played a bit of a distraction - we can only control our own results, if not, apparently, the majority of the play 

Edited by Kokosnuss

23 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Lose them both and this scrappy win against a team currently in the bottom four will look like a papering the cracks job.

We could lose v Peterborough and Bolton and then win the next four.

We could beat Peterborough and Bolton but then lose the next four.

What would we learn?

Fixating on these games is meaningless when Cambridge are top and Stevenage are in the top six.

Warne will earn his wage by what he and the team does in the next 42 games, not two.

Whatever happens in the next two, these early results underline how important it is to stay calm.

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Favourite Derby player by a mile. I think he must be superhuman to have maintained performance levels the way he has after the 3 ACLs. He also seems like a genuinely nice fella too.

So true, funny but I only thought the same today when I was watching him - a lot of players are never the same after 1 ACL !

46 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Delighted with the win. 

Team still on its arse 70 minutes onwards though, the recruitment from last year and so far this year to blame. 

If we can get some consistency and a couple more additions in then I’m hopeful for top 6. The team will get better with time. Hope we get a midfielder better than Smith in because he’s about as average as they come. 

I thought that the whole point of a full Paul warne pre-season was to be fully fit. Not blowing out of our 'arriss's after 60 mins

What was the blooming point?

It was better, but it was hard not to be if we’re honest. 

System was a bit strange. Lacked balance and was lopsided with a right winger but no one playing on the left. Seemed to work at times but then left the likes of Cashin with no out ball a lot of the time too  

Zero surprised 2 of the 3 best players on the pitch were the younger ones with energy that he brought in, in Thompson and Rooney. It isn’t rocket science that our biggest flaw by far is the age, pace and athleticism of this team. Very impressed with Rooney as normal  

Subs were a bit baffling. Central midfield still doesn’t work with Smith and Hourihane as turnstiles. Collins offers less than nothing. Shoehorning Bradley in was puzzling. 

Let’s get some players in with pace (in Warne’s words) and see where we go.