Is Warne living on borrowed time?

I think we all need to be calm about this as it is only two games. Panicking will make it end up being a self fulfilling prophecy that he will go. You can't hide it hasn't been a good start but Warne deserves time to work on the way he wants to play. If players want out then get out and good riddance. 

On Saturday I thought we looked good. Entertaining play, lots of opportunities but undone by individual errors and lack of top quality striker.

That's the thing we are crying out for, someone who can stick the ball in the net. We had the same issue last year but at least we had McGoldrick. If we want to do anything this year we need a striker. 

I always said Warne should be given this pre-season and a good number of matches before we would be able to see what he could deliver in results. I admit that this has not started the way I hoped/thought it would but based on yesterdays first half (watching replay this morning) I think many of our players need to take a long hard look at themselves because not even Sir Alex Ferguson in his prime would be able to deliver a win with the level of performance the players showed up. I mean what was that! Was there even sweat on their shirts? It all starts with a basic will to fight and our lads honestly didn't seemed to want to do that. That to me says changes in the lineup is action one. If you don't want to play for the RAMS when you get the chance then please get out of the way and let someone else do it. 

In fact based on that I hope Warne begin to see which players are willing to fight and which players need to sit on the sidelines for a while. Thompson for example always gives his all and should be given a start. Fozzy always does his best etc. It's league 1 and as long as we field 11 players who work their socks off I fancy us against any team. 

I am no Warne fan in any way but his biggest problem now seem to be that he puts his trust in the wrong players based on what they have done in the past when all that matters is what they will deliver from now on.

Really hope to see a different team against Burton!

Edited by InstaRam

8 minutes ago, WestStandStartTheBounce said:

I think we all need to be calm about this as it is only two games. Panicking will make it end up being a self fulfilling prophecy that he will go. You can't hide it hasn't been a good start but Warne deserves time to work on the way he wants to play. If players want out then get out and good riddance. 

On Saturday I thought we looked good. Entertaining play, lots of opportunities but undone by individual errors and lack of top quality striker.

That's the thing we are crying out for, someone who can stick the ball in the net. We had the same issue last year but at least we had McGoldrick. If we want to do anything this year we need a striker. 

I agree with most of what you’re saying but pinning the defensive frailties on solely individual error does truly reflect what we’ve seen in two games. The defence is playing the way it’s been trained and instructed to, that monumental gap we’re seeing is down to the managers creation and nothing more.

Edited by 8Leeds

I think that the next few weeks are going to be absolutely crucial for Paul Warne.

His record in this division at Rotherham is undeniably fantastic. His record in the Championship is questionable, but potentially understandable given the resources available. 

With Derby County, he has the chance to prove he can compete in the Championship. 

The problem is, he has to keep his job here for long enough to get promoted. The last third of last season was disappointing. The start to this season is worrying - moreso that this is Warne's squad and Warne's coaching team. 

IMO, the outcome of the next 5 games will decide Warne's managerial career. If he can turn things around, then a couple of dodgy early games will be forgotten and his past record suggests that we'll be in the promotion mix in April.

If we are still struggling in three weeks time, those calling for his head will be in the majority and the owner won't have much of a choice than to replace him. Warne will be forever a lower league manger - never trusted at a bigger club again.

Bringing in half a team never produces instant results. Losing McGoldrick was always going to be difficult. There are challenges, but overcoming them is what Warne is paid to do.

We need a couple of extra attacking players and we need results to be adequate in the short term to allow medium term development. I hope for his and our sake our next five games bring at least nine points or I fear that he's toast.

Personally, I think he'll succeed here and this week will just be a tiny blip. After all, Jim Smith's first few weeks were pretty dire and he did OK...that said Paul Jewell was also appalling at the start.

Direct attacking football? I think this is 50/50 right now. We’ve shown we can create. 

Strong defensively? Gone backwards. I just long for a back 4 of Sibley, Fozzy, Cash and Smith again which shows how shakey they’ve started this season. 

Press? This is the thing that worries me most. The others can be put down to individual errors/poor final product but the press is so so poor and that’s what should be coached into them until it’s just second nature. 

For example ‘CB gets ball. Player 1 presses CB, player 2 and 3 press to cut off the full back and other CB. Player 4 and 5 cut off the paths to the deeper midfielders. This isn’t currently happening in our press. 

49 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Wow, what a load of corporate speak.

Of course the workforce has been thrown together, that's the nature of a new season. Hopefully after a few more games, individual mistake will be covered, but for now, they are the difference between a slow start and a terrible start.

So every team who's assembled a squad / made multiple signings starts the season looking totally disorganised, making huge errors, has players being given roles in the team they're woefully unsuited for?

Give over. 

Our squad hasn't even been thrown together this season - that was last year... and we made far fewer mistakes to start the season! The team still needed to gel but at least they were capable of grinding out a few tight victories. 

Warne's had 10 months to plan for this season and still comes up with a system that leaves his (his choice) of defenders horribly exposed, asked to play a style that's beyond them and lacking cover when they do make a mistake. That's called bad management.

That's at least partially on the management. No matter how many times you refute the idea that his tactics have anything to do with players making individual mistakes, they absolutely do.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Do people think he is seriously going to mention things on Radio Derby that he hasn’t already addressed/discussed with his players? He admitted that he had told his players what he thought of their performance - as a good manager should. If he hadn’t have told them, do you believe they don’t look at this Forum and see the vile comments people make. Max Bird will know exactly what people are saying.

Max, I believe, is Derby through and through, but the temptation to play at a higher level, for a manager he knows and I guess a much, much bigger salary, may well have affected his performances. Who knows? It could be he is uncomfortable playing further up the field - something many writers on here have been suggesting for a long time. It could be a reaction to losing the vice captaincy (captain last year for much of the time). We just don’t know. 

The fact is that until Hull come up with a realistic offer, then Bird will remain our player. He played the full 90 minutes last night didn’t he. (I would be more worried about the captain being taken off at half time, unless there was an injury).

Warne is as honest as the day is long, he will no doubt have further discussions with the squad and certain individuals today. Most football clubs have these moments.

Lets hope there is a clearing of the air and we get a positive result on Saturday.

4 minutes ago, one_chop said:

He's on a 4 year contract so we can't afford to sack him ?. What if we lose the next 10 games on the trot ?. Surely our Chairperson put a clause in that contract?

I don’t think such clause exists where if you lose x amount on the trot, you’re gone.

Obviously he will be gone if we have 0 points after 11 games. And obviously that is never, ever going to happen. I don’t even think we lost that many on the bounce in 2007/08.

Reading some of the responses makes it really hard to believe that we’ve only gifted a team 3 points in our first game, then got knocked out the cup. That’s it.

24 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Nope. He held his hands up but also said the players need to do better.

He may also learn a lesson to avoid bring overly honest and open in the future 

Indeed, because it causes un-necessary problems.

Well as he admitted it was 90% his fault the next team line-up will be interesting.

11 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

So every team who's assembled a squad / made multiple signings starts the season looking totally disorganised, making huge errors, has players being given roles in the team they're woefully unsuited for?

Give over. 

Our squad hasn't even been thrown together this season - that was last year... and we made far fewer mistakes to start the season! The team still needed to gel but at least they were capable of grinding out a few tight victories. 

Warne's had 10 months to plan for this season and still comes up with a system that leaves his (his choice) of defenders horribly exposed, asked to play a style that's beyond them and lacking cover when they do make a mistake. That's called bad management.

That's at least partially on the management. No matter how many times you refute the idea that his tactics have anything to do with players making individual mistakes, they absolutely do.

So you genuinely believe that Paul warnes tactics caused Sonny Bradley to knock that back pass 10 yards instead of 30 yards? You think that Paul Warnes tactics made Joe Wildsmith completely miss that cross? You think that Callum Elders header was down to what Paul Warne told him to do?

Fair enough, I guess you're entitled to your opinion 

9 minutes ago, one_chop said:

He's on a 4 year contract so we can't afford to sack him ?. What if we lose the next 10 games on the trot ?. Surely our Chairperson put a clause in that contract?

I would be stunned if there was any clause that suggested PW could be sacked, with no compensation, if we failed to secure promotion this year let alone lose a set number of games on the trot.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

He holds his position, receives and makes passes. He’s a ‘tidy’’ footballer.

The issue we have is he is one of three pretty similar midfielders and that doesn’t work.

Exactly a tidy footballer but that is it. Tidy doesn’t win you games nor does it contribute unless you have something else in your game like goals and winning the ball which he does neither.

42 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

So i have just listened to the interview. My fault for commenting before listening.

I see absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with it.

He took accountability for 90% of the outcome. He did add the caveat that he is probably over analysing and bring paranoid.

You listened to one interview (RamsTV?). Have you listened to the Radio Derby one?

Edited by Ghost of Clough

Well, I've had enough. The results have been beyond awful, Warne-ball is awful to watch. The players either look like they've got no idea what they're supposed to be doing, or they just can't be bothered to do it. Defending has been comical, the Blackpool goals being perfect examples. What are the players and coaches doing in training, standing around watching TikTok on their phones?

Warne is not good enough. I don't care how long he's got left on his contract, get rid before he drags us down to League 2.

1 hour ago, Malty said:

Declan Rice doesn’t score goals and seldom creates any. I don’t think he tackles that often either. Does that mean he’s not a footballer either?

The problem is that Max is a CDM and we have two other CDMs in the same team. Take out hourihane and Smith and play a couple of players who are more comfortable going forward and have bags of energy and Max will look a different (much better) player.

Take out max and get a midfielder who can run and tackle and houihane might b better than his 7 goals and 7 assists from last season.

Get some money now whist we can for him. Out of contract at the end of season