v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

Not sure I'm brave enough to catch up where I left off in this thread, way back on page 13!  I dread to imagine how it's gone!  😲

Have to say, I WAS rather enjoying things early doors.  I found minutes 10 to 30 ish quite promising.  Plenty of endeavour, neat passages of play, oodles of promise.  Importantly, I also felt entertained.
Even their opener didn't dampen my positive spirit.  After all, it only came from a schoolboy error, which is gonna happen at this level.  We were still the best looking team on the pitch.

Even after a less convincing second half, I'm still not convinced we deserved to lose that, but we certainly didn't deserve to win, in the end.  There's plenty of room for improvement of course... but equally there's plenty of time to achieve that!
Need to be more savvy.  Cleverer of mind, spirit, and foot!  Need to up the urgency when the opportunity arises, and be less "care-free when the oppo have the ball.

In the end, I came away feeling more frustrated than a genuine "disappointment".  I guess that means I still have hope, and that my expectations remain more positive than not.

On to the next one then... 

Not a performance completely devoid of quality, after all we had the most goal attempts in the league on the day, but unfortunately one that typifies a Paul Warne Derby County. Naive unforced errors at times where we seem intent on killing ourselves. We can’t seem to stop giving teams easy opportunities - you saw it against Sheff Utd and again today. It’s crazy to me that some still associate Warne with pragmatism. What I’ve seen of his Derby side, he’s the furthest thing from a pragmatic manager I have ever seen.

Unfortunately, it also compounds our need for a striker. It’s a game of margins and it’s shown that we are a team lacking, critically, in the area of most value to a successful side. If Warne doesn’t sort it, I doubt he will lose his job, but will most certainly lose the fans.  

I’m trying not to overreact, but if Warne doesn’t change the narrative then years down the line this experience will always be viewed in this light: A manager who liked to turn football games into basketball games. As good as this team can be, unfortunately anything can happen on the day as our game management is non-existent. 

Player ratings for what they’re worth — 

Wildsmith 5

Nelson 5
Bradley 5
Cashin 5

Ward 7
Smith 5
Hourihane 6
Forsyth 7

NML 7
Bird 4
Collins 4

Wilson 7
Elder 5
Washington 5
Thompson 6

Very frustrating opening day...even more so when the teams whom a lot of our fans consider to be our biggest rivals for promotion Barnsley Blackpool Bolton all also at home scored 12 goals between them and conceded precisely nil! Dream start for all three.! Shame we couldn't follow suit.

19 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Biggest disappointments for me were Wildsmith, NML & Hourihane. Why Hourihane went back to Bradley for their 1st I dont know, got the ball in the middle of the pitch with loads of space in front of him & he passes back to Bradley.

Some of Wards deliveries were brilliant, Wilson looked a bright spark but will frustrate fans. Our main issue today was the bench, no attakcing options other than Washington.

Ref gave them everything 1st half, how we didnt get a penalty on Bradley I dont know, the lino was looking right at it. The booking for Smith was a joke too.

Get Sibley & Barkhuizen back plus 2 or 3 more attacking players in & we will be right up there come the end of the season.

That's actually not true, Hourihane played a square pass slightly behind his team mate whom then turned and passed it back to Bradley whom them completed his woeful attempted at a backpass. 

The initial pass from Hourihane put his teammate under unnecessary pressure whom then passed it onto Bradley.

Wyke continued to advance on Bradley but he wasn't under huge pressure to get rid, Wyke probably couldn't believe his luck.

Why was most disappointing was Bradley remained on the floor afterwards and made no attempt to get up never mind chase his own mistake back. 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

I think that’s a very one sided review. Yes you make some observations but if you took that game to pieces and consider the various phases. First 2/3 mins we hardly had the ball, then about 20 minutes where we ran the show and could have been 2 up  Then their goal and we were on the back foot which continued for about 5 minutes after half time when we got better for another 20 mins or so. We looked useful, dangerous and had them the back foot. 

Two stupid mistakes (one we got away with) plus one great cross from them, then consider 3 missed chances from us. It was an ebb and flow game of 4 quarters. Either team could have come out on top but they took their chances, very much as we did in the pre season V Stoke. 

That said, we were pedestrian far too often, the pace at which we moved the ball was grim. Wigan were very energetic with a good skill level and we didn’t match them often enough.

2 lovely bits of footwork from Smith, Ward looks consistent. Collins is a poacher and a worker but we need a striker who puts it up em. NML who has looked quite useful in his new roll was too easily disposed and wasn’t as incisive as usual. We got caught napping. 

We lacked fire and zip, we let them reset too easily because of this. They did all work hard but you got the feeling that they were “off it” today or maybe Wigan were “on it”

I am disappointed but have faith that we will bounce back. Wigan deserved something from that game but I am not sure they deserved all 3 points. 

I don't think we looked dangerous at all. The fact that we had 4 shots on target in the entire game hardly speaks to a menacing attack. I thought Wigan actually contained us quite easily. They were dogged, won their headers in the box and defend the space relatively well, basically inviting us to cross it which we duly did. We struggled to build up a head of steam, and the tempo was desperately slow, which is the opposite of what you want when you're crossing plenty and you need to move the defence about so they struggle to mark your forward line or defend the space well. 

We looked more controlled in the second half, before giving away another goal, but we didn't really offer much in terms of chances. Didn't think NML offered anything up today and was almost invisible apart from a single shot 20 yards out. Smith had a mixed game but was better than Bird who had an absolute stinker. 

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

That's actually not true, Hourihane played a square pass slightly behind his team mate whom then turned and passed it back to Bradley whom them completed his woeful attempted at a backpass. 

The initial pass from Hourihane put his teammate under unnecessary pressure whom then passed it onto Bradley.

Wyke continued to advance on Bradley but he wasn't under huge pressure to get rid, Wyke probably couldn't believe his luck.

Why was most disappointing was Bradley remained on the floor afterwards and made no attempt to get up never mind chase his own mistake back. 

Yeh admit I got that wrong, Ive just watched the goal back and I had forgot he passed it to Nelson forst but that pass itself set the chain of events off as it was a poor pass to Nelson & put him under pressure who did the same to Bradkey with his pass back. Bradley should have at least tried to get back, like you say Wyke probably couldnt believe his luck, even more so for the 2nd.

Like I say just watched the goals back, yes Wildsmith was poor for the 2nd but at the same time I also think Cashin could have done better to prevent Wyke getting near it.

I though Cashin struggled up against Wyke today but I dont think there will be too many number 9s as good as him this season that our defence will be up against.

Just now, DCFC1388 said:

Yeh admit I got that wrong, Ive just watched the goal back and I had forgot he passed it to Nelson forst but that pass itself set the chain of events off as it was a poor pass to Nelson & put him under pressure who did the same to Bradkey with his pass back. Bradley should have at least tried to get back, like you say Wyke probably couldnt believe his luck, even more so for the 2nd.

Like I say just watched the goals back, yes Wildsmith was poor for the 2nd but at the same time I also think Cashin could have done better to prevent Wyke getting near it.

I though Cashin struggled up against Wyke today but I dont think there will be too many number 9s as good as him this season that our defence will be up against.

Yeah, can anyone explain why we bought a roughty toughty 6’4” defender if he’s not going to take responsibility for a centre forward?

Disappointing start as pre-season sounded so positive. But think just too anxious to win. They had bit between teeth due to -8 points. On the upside

- first and only home defeat out of way

- no unbeaten run to get stressed about 

- no jinx from manager of month for august in Sept

- no further offers for players

- window still open

They won because of 2 daft goals.it happens.  No need for all the angst. Felt sorry for Bradley. Liked Ward. Great goal from Fozzy. Some classy skills on show from Wilson and great attitude with youngsters at end despite loss. 

What was the idiot on pitch at end thinking? 

Lee from Korea can never come again. Total jinx.

igor's first game was 1-4 loss and saw tweet this week showing that in last 5 or 6 promotion seasons started season badly with often say 2 or thereabouts wins from first 6- 8 games. Cant find it now. 

Always disappointing to lose the opening game after the excitement of the new season starting.

Not time to panic yet as a long way to go and im sure we will bring in a few new faces before the transfer window ends.

I just really feel like we are lacking pace all over the pitch and some genuine quality up front.

I think the defence will come good but looks like if they push up they will be susceptable to pace in behind and counter attacks.

A lot to do if we want to go up automatically.

17 minutes ago, jono said:

I think that’s a very one sided review. Yes you make some observations but if you took that game to pieces and consider the various phases. First 2/3 mins we hardly had the ball, then about 20 minutes where we ran the show and could have been 2 up  Then their goal and we were on the back foot which continued for about 5 minutes after half time when we got better for another 20 mins or so. We looked useful, dangerous and had them the back foot. 

Two stupid mistakes (one we got away with) plus one great cross from them, then consider 3 missed chances from us. It was an ebb and flow game of 4 quarters. Either team could have come out on top but they took their chances, very much as we did in the pre season V Stoke. 

That said, we were pedestrian far too often, the pace at which we moved the ball was grim. Wigan were very energetic with a good skill level and we didn’t match them often enough.

2 lovely bits of footwork from Smith, Ward looks consistent. Collins is a poacher and a worker but we need a striker who puts it up em. NML who has looked quite useful in his new roll was too easily disposed and wasn’t as incisive as usual. We got caught napping. 

We lacked fire and zip, we let them reset too easily because of this. They did all work hard but you got the feeling that they were “off it” today or maybe Wigan were “on it”

I am disappointed but have faith that we will bounce back. Wigan deserved something from that game but I am not sure they deserved all 3 points. 

Completely agree with your thoughts on this.

Minus the two clangers and arguably plus the penalty award, we (probably) win and say things like "It wasn't great but it's 3 points on the board and with a few additions and ironing out a couple of areas, we remain hopeful of a good season", etc.

As it is, it looks decidedly different to that, to some of us at least.

Collins had to score at 0-0 about 8 minutes in where he tamely hit a shot towards goal 12 yards out , that's why we need to sign a decent striker if we want to do anything this season.

Obviously 2 shocking mistakes led to the loss but I was more concerned about the lack of creativity and how our game plan was just pass it around slowly until  a wingback is open and then just put into the mixer.

We have no pace upfront to stretch the channels , no guile and a midfield that have no muscle, pace or height .I would sell Bird if we can get a decent fee and then have a midfielder who can score and offer alot more ability to drive forward.  We seem meek and mild in the middle with no flair either. Mendez- Laing should be in the channels not coming deep, thought he was completely ineffective.   Also don't think it makes any sense to play with 3 centre backs against 1 striker, we gave away chances through the middle anyway and we would be much more effective with more men going forward than relying on Cloggers at the back like Bradley for creativity.  Was painful to watch us try and transition from defence at times. 

Ward was a bright spark amongst a sea of effluent and I thought Wilson or pretty boy as my mates dad calls him looked like he has potential to be a good attacking outlet once he gets fully fit. Smith was solid as well but the 3 we have in there aren't effective together and lack physicality.

As an aside while we are all indulging in communal gloom. Why was Connor taking the corners when Ward was so effective in pre season ? 

Anyway, see you all on Tuesday .. with or without Waggy 🤪