Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

class? he’s not in the same school. not even in the same educational borough. He’d be a useful squad player but with all the talk of putting crosses in the box (which he won’t get on the end of) he doesnt get my tick  

He'd probably be putting the crosses in. I'm just amazed that after his two short cameos at this level he easily looks as good as Collins. He's smarter, faster and more skilful (ffs what?!), can't see we've anything to lose from giving him a 1 year deal.

I’m still not convinced about this one. They say never go back, and I think this is one of the cases where that applies. 

I mean don’t get me wrong, I love Waghorn. He always gave absolutely everything in a Derby shirt, and without that performance against Sheffield Wednesday, we’d be in League Two right now - at best. He was also far better in that Lampard season than people give him credit for - there was a point in time he was one of the best all round strikers in the league imo.

But he’s shown absolutely nothing since he left us two years ago. Granted, he’d only be coming in as backup to Washington - but if our budget really is as tiny as suggested, then we don’t want to waste it. We’re absolutely crying out for some real quality to replace McGoldrick up front - if we don’t get that, then we’re in for a painful season.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

We’re absolutely crying out for some real quality to replace McGoldrick up front - if we don’t get that, then we’re in for a painful season.

Does a McGoldrick replacement need to have a similar playing style to Didzy? I’m not saying that you said that; I’m just asking if that’s what you mean.

If so, I would say (and others have said) there is more than one way to “skin the cat” of scoring goals. Even with Washington’s brief performance today you could see promise that he’ll make runs (as PW had said) in behind which offers us something we perhaps didn’t have before. Quality runs into dangerous areas could be at least as important as the quality McGoldrick provided last year. We shall see!

33 minutes ago, jameso said:

Does a McGoldrick replacement need to have a similar playing style to Didzy? I’m not saying that you said that; I’m just asking if that’s what you mean.

If so, I would say (and others have said) there is more than one way to “skin the cat” of scoring goals. Even with Washington’s brief performance today you could see promise that he’ll make runs (as PW had said) in behind which offers us something we perhaps didn’t have before. Quality runs into dangerous areas could be at least as important as the quality McGoldrick provided last year. We shall see!

No (though that would be my preference, as McGoldrick was a joy to watch). We just need to replace his goals.

As far as Washington goes, there’s no way he’s the man to do that. He’s a workhorse, who will run around for 90 mins creating space for others. What we need is someone who can use that space to score goals playing alongside him. At the moment that option is Collins, but he’s proven to be poor last season. I’m not convinced by Washington either, but if he does do well, it won’t be scoring 20 Goals, it’ll be creating them for someone else.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He'd probably be putting the crosses in. I'm just amazed that after his two short cameos at this level he easily looks as good as Collins. He's smarter, faster and more skilful (ffs what?!), can't see we've anything to lose from giving him a 1 year deal.

i wasn't comparing him to collins.  But they are quite similar and that’s sort of my point: neither of them is quite what we want 

Would very happily take Waggy if Warne wants him and a deal can be done. Even without him, I feel the current squad is capable of scoring more goals than we did last season when it was often a case of if McGoldrick doesn’t score, nobody will. I’d much prefer to be less reliant on one player scoring the goals. Confident of a very good season ahead. Some excellent signings so far and I’m confident if Warne can bring in the 2 or 3 signings he says he wants, it will not be just to increase the numbers. We may not have a 25 goal striker in our ranks but we definitely have goals. COYR.

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m still not convinced about this one. They say never go back, and I think this is one of the cases where that applies. 

I mean don’t get me wrong, I love Waghorn. He always gave absolutely everything in a Derby shirt, and without that performance against Sheffield Wednesday, we’d be in League Two right now - at best. He was also far better in that Lampard season than people give him credit for - there was a point in time he was one of the best all round strikers in the league imo.

But he’s shown absolutely nothing since he left us two years ago. Granted, he’d only be coming in as backup to Washington - but if our budget really is as tiny as suggested, then we don’t want to waste it. We’re absolutely crying out for some real quality to replace McGoldrick up front - if we don’t get that, then we’re in for a painful season.

TBF Mcgoldrick wasn't exactly setting the world alight in the years before signing for us, many on here wasn't that impressed when he signed and last season was his best ever at 34 years old.

We are not going to get a CF that'll score over 20 goals, they cost money, a lot of money.

Imo I think Waggy could easily hit 15 in this league. Only my opinion of course and depending on how much game time he gets.

For a free signing, I don't think there's anyone better out there at the moment.

18 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

TBF Mcgoldrick wasn't exactly setting the world alight in the years before signing for us, many on here wasn't that impressed when he signed and last season was his best ever at 34 years old.

We are not going to get a CF that'll score over 20 goals, they cost money, a lot of money.

Imo I think Waggy could easily hit 15 in this league. Only my opinion of course and depending on how much game time he gets.

For a free signing, I don't think there's anyone better out there at the moment.

Personally I was delighted with McGoldrick. He looked good in the premier league only two years before so was a brilliant bit of business on a free.  Losing him and Knight massively reduces the ability we have in the side.  I'd rather have hung onto those two and added Bradley and Elder as opposed to bring in the other players.  Would have been top 2 for me right there. 

8 hours ago, jameso said:

Absolutely. 👍🏼

McGoldrick crafted goals with an unbelievably deft touch and individual skill, Washington will break the same lines in a different way. Glass cutter and suction pad versus Hammer perhaps ? Window broken whichever. 
 If you have Waggy, Collins, Bird, NML all around that, goals will happen and it doesn’t matter who puts in in the net.

Ward, Washington and Wilson, at first glance, seem to have added some much needed pace. You can see why there is a hesitancy about Waggy from Warne. I think he wants more of the first 3 at the top of the pitch but if nothing else is forthcoming then Waggy will fill a gap and do a solid job. 

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Personally I was delighted with McGoldrick. He looked good in the premier league only two years before so was a brilliant bit of business on a free.  Losing him and Knight massively reduces the ability we have in the side.  I'd rather have hung onto those two and added Bradley and Elder as opposed to bring in the other players.  Would have been top 2 for me right there. 

I get what you mean about McGoldrick and Knight’s individual quality. But do you really think keeping those 2 and only adding Bradley and Elder to a squad that had no recognised right sided defenders, had no backup goalkeeper once the loanee left, only Forsyth, Cashin and Bradley as senior cbs, and Collins and McGoldrick as the striking options supported by Barkhuizen, NML and Sibley would be enough for top 2? It would look something like this;

Gk - Wildsmith/Youth?/Youth?

Lwb - Elder/?

Rwb - Knight and Smith?

Cb - Bradley/Cashin/Forsyth/Rooney

Cm - Hourihane/Bird/Knight or Smith (depending which one is at rb)/Thompson/Youths?

Am/Wf - Sibley/Barkhuizen/NML

CF - McGoldrick/Collins

Even with Knight and McGoldrick that squad needs additions, more depth, better balance. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

8 hours ago, Allen said:

Would very happily take Waggy if Warne wants him and a deal can be done. Even without him, I feel the current squad is capable of scoring more goals than we did last season when it was often a case of if McGoldrick doesn’t score, nobody will. I’d much prefer to be less reliant on one player scoring the goals. Confident of a very good season ahead. Some excellent signings so far and I’m confident if Warne can bring in the 2 or 3 signings he says he wants, it will not be just to increase the numbers. We may not have a 25 goal striker in our ranks but we definitely have goals. COYR.

Agree.  I don’t think a 20+ goal scorer is essential.  And for all the talk about not replacing McGoldrick, the assumption is he would score 20+ again, when last season was the first time he’d ever done it.

Collins and McGoldrick scored 33 league goals between them last season.  I think between Collins, Washington and a 3rd striker, whoever it is, they’ll get more than that.  I think we’ll be more aggressive going forward in numbers and pace and creating chances.  We’ll see more from the midfielders, maybe wing-backs chipping in and a bigger threat at set pieces.

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Agree.  I don’t think a 20+ goal scorer is essential.  And for all the talk about not replacing McGoldrick, the assumption is he would score 20+ again, when last season was the first time he’d ever done it.

Collins and McGoldrick scored 33 league goals between them last season.  I think between Collins, Washington and a 3rd striker, whoever it is, they’ll get more than that.  I think we’ll be more aggressive going forward in numbers and pace and creating chances.  We’ll see more from the midfielders, maybe wing-backs chipping in and a bigger threat at set pieces.

As a boy I watched Manchester United’s young promotion team in the mid 70’s. Now I know they were managed by a man who became our Voldemort but the principle was right. 

There were goals all through that team. A handful or more, for 2 or 3 seasons on the trot, came from Macari, Daley, Hill, Coppel before the main strikers even got mentioned. It’s a team game and I think that’s where PW is going. 

lets be honest it's a ridiclous signing. people can try and paint it whatever way they want, he is not a player we need nor is he a player we really want. 

hes too old, we are not going to get out of this division by assembling dads army and turning derby into an old boys club, the sooner clowes and warne clock on that you get out of this league with young energetic players the beter

Took him 15 seconds to show some real quality yesterday as he danced through their defence in the box. Took less than minutes to also show the endeavour and hard work that Warne will rate winning the ball back in his own half. 

He is very technically gifted, more so than the others in our attacking positions despite what some clowns will tell you about his first touch. He’d be excellent as a supporting player in this squad. 

and I’ll be honest, I was on the side of ‘don’t go back’. He took less than 5 minutes to change my mind. He looked the sharpest player in our attack when he came on and combined really nicely with Washington. 

Edited by IlsonDerby

7 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Took him 15 seconds to show some real quality yesterday as he danced through their defence in the box. Took less than minutes to also show the endeavour and hard work that Warne will rate winning the ball back in his own half. 

He is very technically gifted, more so than the others in our attacking positions despite what some clowns will tell you about his first touch. He’d be excellent as a supporting player in this squad. 

and I’ll be honest, I was on the side of ‘don’t go back’. He took less than 5 minutes to change my mind. He looked the sharpest player in our attack when he came on and combined really nicely with Washington. 

but you shouldnt be basing a player based on 5 minutes of action, thats a recipe for disaster