Martyn Waghorn - signed a 1-year deal

trekkie_ram

17 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Scored 3 goals in total during the last 2 seasons, at least one of those being a penalty. Frightening how people are eager for his return. We were shafted badly enough first time around.

Are you being entirely serious with this post? 

Yes 3 goals in 2 seasons is a poor return for a forward, and the main mitigating factors (not being selected or being injured) also aren't great selling points.

£5.6m (allegedly) was a ridiculous fee to pay in 2018 but it's much easier to recognise that in the sober light of League 1 post-Morris day.

His return over 3 seasons for us was apparently 30 goals in 123 appearances, which isn't too bad, and for only one season of his time were we particularly competitive.

He'd be playing at League 1 (albeit a bit older and carrying a little more weight, for now at least).

Are "people... eager"? Or just of the view that, in the current context, it's as good a move as any other? (Perhaps compared to Rhodes, with whom we've been heavily linked, and about whom it has been noted there have been decreasing returns for a good few years now). I'm not sure why that's particularly frightening and am surprised you have apparently quite extreme views on the matter.

EDIT: Oh, and he'd be free (transfer-fee-wise) and presumably we wouldn't take him on with extortionate wage demands (I could be mistaken but it doesn't seem likely based on the current regime)

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, jameso said:

Are you being entirely serious with this post? 

Yes 3 goals in 2 seasons is a poor return for a forward, and the main mitigating factors (not being selected or being injured) also aren't great selling points.

£5.6m (allegedly) was a ridiculous fee to pay in 2018 but it's much easier to recognise that in the sober light of League 1 post-Morris day.

His return over 3 seasons for us was apparently 30 goals in 123 appearances, which isn't too bad, and for only one season of his time were we particularly competitive.

He'd be playing at League 1 (albeit a bit older and carrying a little more weight, for now at least).

Are "people... eager"? Or just of the view that, in the current context, it's as good a move as any other? (Perhaps compared to Rhodes, with whom we've been heavily linked, and about whom it has been noted there have been decreasing returns for a good few years now). I'm not sure why that's particularly frightening and am surprised you have apparently quite extreme views on the matter.

EDIT: Oh, and he'd be free (transfer-fee-wise) and presumably we wouldn't take him on with extortionate wage demands (I could be mistaken but it doesn't seem likely based on the current regime)

I wouldn’t say eager, more realistic.

I think bringing Waggy back could be a smart move. He’s a good character, you always get a shift from him, knows the club,  good ability with dead ball situations, Didzy wasn’t exactly prolific season before last in the championship (like Waggy a bit part player) yet look what he did in League 1. Didzy is much more skilful and refined granted but no reason why Waggy couldn’t get 15 goals in League 1. We would then need another option up top with potentially another wide option - could do these with loans. 

4 hours ago, alram said:

we have the 2nd oldest squad in the divison behind wycombe. the generalisation is based on fact, it isnt unfounded.

i have no problem with 1 or 2, but we just signed washington whos 31, its like we learnt nothing from last season - an old squad just doesnt have it in them to play so many games at this level succesfully

Sheffield Wednesday had the oldest squad in the league last season and spent most of it in the top two and eventually achieved promotion with a couple of forwards who didn’t exactly score + 15 goals each 

16 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

TBF Mcgoldrick wasn't exactly setting the world alight in the years before signing for us, many on here wasn't that impressed when he signed and last season was his best ever at 34 years old.

We are not going to get a CF that'll score over 20 goals, they cost money, a lot of money.

Imo I think Waggy could easily hit 15 in this league. Only my opinion of course and depending on how much game time he gets.

For a free signing, I don't think there's anyone better out there at the moment.

McGoldrick scored 8 goals in the Premier League two seasons before joining us. Waghorn could only dream of that. Two seasons ago, Waghorn scored 1 goal for Coventry. There’s no comparison between them at all in my opinion - I for one was delighted when McGoldrick signed, everyone knew his technical quality (something which Waghorn lacks). 

McGoldrick hit 22 in the league after signing for free, so that’s definitely not true. Alfie May hit 20 last season and 23 the year before - he’s gone for 250k, not exactly a lot of money.

Personally I’ll be absolutely astonished if Waghorn hits double figures. He wasn’t a good finisher when he left 2 years ago, god knows how bad he is in front of goal now.

FWIW, I somewhat agree that there aren’t many good options out there at the moment. Waghorn is probably marginally better than Rhodes because of his work rate, but that really is clutching at straws. My annoyance is how we’ve let it get to this point. We’ve known for ages that we needed to replace McGoldrick, yet we didn’t seem to have any plan of how to do so. Barring the first few, most of our signings this summer have felt very opportunistic. That’s extremely disappointing given how long we had to plan for this window, and I’m quite annoyed to be frank with our new recruitment team, who haven’t identified anyone 90% of this forum couldn’t have done. The striker position is such a key signing and should have been addressed weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Scored 3 goals in total during the last 2 seasons, at least one of those being a penalty. Frightening how people are eager for his return. We were shafted badly enough first time around.

Carl, I really don’t get your approach to this. You are usually pretty observant and measured. 

I don’t want to use that overused “entitled” word but you don’t seem to have you usual broader perspective. Dare I say it there is a large bottom lip being shown without thinking about the reality. 

We need forwards. There do not appear to be many available within the range of our pocket and current status. Waghorn has his weaknesses that I think everyone, including his biggest fans, recognise.  He also has his assets .. a reasonable player with a big heart and a positive influence in a team situation. He is also known to play at maximum effort without grumbles. He has scored goals for us, did look reasonable awake and fit in his recent cameos. If he is costing us no more than reasonable wages  in a squad that is short on numbers then what is the oversized gripe you’ve got ? 

31 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

McGoldrick scored 8 goals in the Premier League two seasons before joining us. Waghorn could only dream of that. Two seasons ago, Waghorn scored 1 goal for Coventry. There’s no comparison between them at all in my opinion - I for one was delighted when McGoldrick signed, everyone knew his technical quality (something which Waghorn lacks). 

McGoldrick hit 22 in the league after signing for free, so that’s definitely not true. Alfie May hit 20 last season and 23 the year before - he’s gone for 250k, not exactly a lot of money.

Personally I’ll be absolutely astonished if Waghorn hits double figures. He wasn’t a good finisher when he left 2 years ago, god knows how bad he is in front of goal now.

FWIW, I somewhat agree that there aren’t many good options out there at the moment. Waghorn is probably marginally better than Rhodes because of his work rate, but that really is clutching at straws. My annoyance is how we’ve let it get to this point. We’ve known for ages that we needed to replace McGoldrick, yet we didn’t seem to have any plan of how to do so. Barring the first few, most of our signings this summer have felt very opportunistic. That’s extremely disappointing given how long we had to plan for this window, and I’m quite annoyed to be frank with our new recruitment team, who haven’t identified anyone 90% of this forum couldn’t have done. The striker position is such a key signing and should have been addressed weeks ago.

And you think Warne and crew haven’t been trying like hell to address it ! It isn’t disappointing it’s a fact of life. What you really seem to mean is “why can’t I have what I want !” 

42 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Tantrum Crying GIFI

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Go and see Nanny , she's probably got some sponge pudding and custard to take the nasty taste away 

3 goals in 2 years is poor, but it's a stat which lacks context, mostly time on the pitch. Waghorn's record since leaving us (all competitions): 

22/23 - 2 goals, 1 assist, 26 games played, 1020 mins. 340 minutes per goal contribution

21/22 - 1 goal, 2 assists, 29 games played, 1231 mins, 410 minutes per contribution

In his seasons with us:

20/21 - 5 goals, 5 assists, 32 games played, 1889 mins, 189 minutes per contribution

19/20 - 12 goals, 4 assists, 47 games played, 3285 mins, 205 minutes per contribution

18/19 - 13 goals , 4 assists, 44 games played, 2672 mins, 157 minutes per contribution

1 hour ago, jono said:

And you think Warne and crew haven’t been trying like hell to address it ! It isn’t disappointing it’s a fact of life. What you really seem to mean is “why can’t I have what I want !” 

It’s not Warne that I’m moaning at. It’s the recruitment teams whose sole job for about 5 months was identifying targets for the summer. They haven’t done a good enough job, and we’re left in a desperate situation. It’s not what I want, it’s what the team needs.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s not Warne that I’m moaning at. It’s the recruitment teams whose sole job for about 5 months was identifying targets for the summer. They haven’t done a good enough job, and we’re left in a desperate situation. It’s not what I want, it’s what the team needs.

The season hasn’t kicked off and you haven’t a clue how we will fair but you still spout this rubbish all the time. 

I swear to god you just like to see us fail just so you can spout negativity. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

What makes it a desperate situation? That’s the bit I’m struggling to see. I understand the quality McGoldrick brought to our forward line with his touch, poise, vision, footballing IQ, that’s hard to replace. His goals, potentially less difficult to replace, especially if you subscribe to the theory he only did his goal scoring against the rubbish teams.

Can you, or anyone else who feels the same, clarify what makes our current situation such a desperate one please? I’m open to other views but don’t see it as bleak as others do so help me to see it from your perspective please?

12 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I get what you mean about McGoldrick and Knight’s individual quality. But do you really think keeping those 2 and only adding Bradley and Elder to a squad that had no recognised right sided defenders, had no backup goalkeeper once the loanee left, only Forsyth, Cashin and Bradley as senior cbs, and Collins and McGoldrick as the striking options supported by Barkhuizen, NML and Sibley would be enough for top 2? It would look something like this;

Gk - Wildsmith/Youth?/Youth?

Lwb - Elder/?

Rwb - Knight and Smith?

Cb - Bradley/Cashin/Forsyth/Rooney

Cm - Hourihane/Bird/Knight or Smith (depending which one is at rb)/Thompson/Youths?

Am/Wf - Sibley/Barkhuizen/NML

CF - McGoldrick/Collins

Even with Knight and McGoldrick that squad needs additions, more depth, better balance. 

keeping McGoldricks goals.  Assuming he stayed fit and reducing the amount we conceded by 15 and playing Knight as a midfielder regular,  I think we'd be pushing Top 2.  Granted, we needed another goalkeeper. 

5 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

The season hasn’t kicked off and you haven’t a clue how we will fair but you still spout this rubbish all the time. 

I swear to god you just like to see us fail just so you can spout negativity. 

I’m pretty sure how we will fair with the current attack, and Warne knows too - it won’t be promotion.

I don’t want to see us fail, but that’s exactly what will happen unless we sort this recruitment out. That’s not rubbish, that’s where we stand.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

keeping McGoldricks goals.  Assuming he stayed fit and reducing the amount we conceded by 15 and playing Knight as a midfielder regular,  I think we'd be pushing Top 2.  Granted, we needed another goalkeeper. 

Fair enough, I admire your optimism. Personally I’d say even with them both still here we’d have needed to add two right sided defenders and another couple of forward options as well as the keeper to be pushing top 2. That theoretical squad retains McGoldrick’s goals but is on paper weaker in depth and balance than last year’s, which didn’t manage top 2.