Conor Washington - signed on a two-year-deal

Animal is a Ram

23 minutes ago, Heliosphan said:

We'd all like a striker who can bag 25 goals every season but they're expensive. Have faith in Warne. That doesn't mean he's above criticism, but the fact is, he got us promoted 3 times from league 1 and has worked with the lad before. 

I don't mean this disrespectfully at all, but you're looking at getting promoted from league 1, not  pushing for the Prem. That's Warne's remit right now, league 1 promotion. He'll sign players who want to work hard for the team and will do the job he wants. Washington will be good in league 1, he was OK in the championship last season to be fair. That said, I don't know anything about Collins, maybe he's a similar player? 

There was a reason why you kept getting relegated...

28 minutes ago, Heliosphan said:

We'd all like a striker who can bag 25 goals every season but they're expensive. Have faith in Warne. That doesn't mean he's above criticism, but the fact is, he got us promoted 3 times from league 1 and has worked with the lad before. 

I don't mean this disrespectfully at all, but you're looking at getting promoted from league 1, not  pushing for the Prem. That's Warne's remit right now, league 1 promotion. He'll sign players who want to work hard for the team and will do the job he wants. Washington will be good in league 1, he was OK in the championship last season to be fair. That said, I don't know anything about Collins, maybe he's a similar player? 

There is a special thread for you to voice your opinions 😊

3 minutes ago, Heliosphan said:

You're right. A complete lack of resources compared with other clubs in the Championship. I don't think that will be Derby if they go up.

You were suggesting it was a good idea to buy the 'same' players though - that would mean a large extra cost, resources we won't necessarily have - you do know what happened last time we maxed out our resources?

Perhaps we should start from a different 'place' to Rotherham.

He's always struck me as being a grafter who annoys the opposition with his hard work, running and pressing. His strike rate is underwhelming, but I suspect if we bought him he would be used to the hard work so the likes of Collins can spend more time in the box

29 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

He's always struck me as being a grafter who annoys the opposition with his hard work, running and pressing. His strike rate is underwhelming, but I suspect if we bought him he would be used to the hard work so the likes of Collins can spend more time in the box

What is holding the ball play and bring others in like.

14 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

What would Nick Blackman and Erling Haaland be on the FIFA scale (just so I can understand the process).

Blackman is rated 68 and Haaland is rated 88 with a potential of 94.

When McGoldrick left it wasn't just his goals he took with him, it was an element of control to the game in the opposition's half; a player capable of thinking a couple of steps ahead of most of the defenders he was up against which allowed us to create that slight extra bit of time and space on the ball, which in turn helped us put in some of our more watchable & aesthetically pleasing performances.

Perhaps my least favourite thing about last season was that all too often without McGoldrick the flow of our games resembled one more akin to that of a basketball game, where it felt as if most most just running around at 100 mph with no real consideration of how they were going to craft an opportunity or break through the opposition lines through anything other than a brute force method, repeatedly doing the same thing over and over.

While we probably can't get and arguable don't need a player to come in and replicate exactly what McGoldrick was doing, a player like Washington feels like the direct antithesis of that. Not really what I want to see.

IF he is to come in, I'd really hope that there's also someone else with a bit more on-field 'class' about them coming in to balance things out, whether that's a striker or a no. 10.

Edited by Kokosnuss