Conor Washington - signed on a two-year-deal

Animal is a Ram

Think this one is b*******. Doesn’t fit the profile, doesn’t play enough games, Big Trav hasn’t called it. 

If it I did happen this is the first one I would be underwhelmed by. Darren Robinson tonight on RD said this would be the highest risk transfer of the ones so far for reasons mentioned and I tend to agree.

Controversial, but I’m going to trust the manager who’s got a track record of getting out of this division.  No idea if we’re after Conor Washington but, if we are, it’s for a reason. If Paul Warne thinks he can play a part, I’ll give him all the time he needs to prove himself. Or at least until half time of the opening game against Wigan!

Ok so my mates at work who are Charlton STH said he would be a great signing 

They said when they had him the other striker or strikers scored loads because CW  literally works his socks off and creates lots of space for others ...not prolific but they suggested a great foil for a proper goalscorer and said when he left the same strikers who had been scoring loads went on barren runs and they put it down to Washington leaving 

Just passing on what they said 

Edited by S8TY

Uninspiring, but not to say he isn’t a player completely without merit. Rotherham fans like him, Charlton fans also thought he was good.

He can play at any point of the front three going by the assumed formation going forward. Hard worker. 

Ok, he’s not the highest of quality and probably isn’t going to chip in with 20-25 goals next season, but we need four or five new players for those front three positions. A player who Warne trusts is also a positive. I’d assume the fee is going to be low, like nominal, but we’ll see. 

For those doubting the source of this - Pete O’Rourke is one of the most reliable journalists out there. He’s got tons of things right in the past. Just because not every player he’s linked with us ends up signing, doesn’t mean he was making up the interest - sometimes signings fall through for whatever reason. It’s the same for ITK posters, it doesn’t mean they were lying. This deal might not happen - whether it does is likely dependent on how much Rotherham want for him. But we will be trying to sign him, I’m confident of that. 

Personally, feel this would be a pretty uninspiring signing. He’s always looked pretty ineffective whenever I’ve seen him play, and I’m not really sure what he would bring to the team. That said, Warne clearly rates him having signed him before for Rotherham, so you can see him wanting him here as well. And, to be fair, we really do need to seriously strengthen up front. We were short before McGoldrick left, and now we’re left with donkey Collins as our only option. I do think Washington would be an upgrade on him at least (difficult not to be!). As I say, we probably need to sign two strikers this window, so I guess we shouldn’t panic too much thinking this guy is here to replace McGoldrick - he might just be adding some more depth as we lacked in options last season. Hopefully we have someone else better lined up too.

Scraping around for more positives (before the happy clappers come on here and abuse me), it appears he can also play on both flanks, which is useful as we’re lacking cover for Barkhuizen and Mendez-Laing as things stand. I’d also imagine he won’t cost much more then half a million, which will still leave plenty in the c.£3m kitty were expecting following the Knight and Bielik sales.

He fits the profile of being able to play in the championship etc as mentioned by PW ,  not a massively inspiring signing for me  but trustworthy and I think good enough for league1

Think he'll be 200k at most but we do need 2-3 other strikers or forwards/10's etc 

Edited by S8TY

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

He fits the profile of being able to play in the championship etc as mentioned by PW ,  not a massively inspiring signing for me  but trustworthy and I think good enough for league1

Think he'll be 200k at most but we do need 2-3 other strikers or forwards/10's etc 

He’s probably a player who Rotherham will let go for free tbh 

It's an interesting one - we've often had strikers at the lower levels who are right for us but not fit for purpose at a higher level. Washington was a bit of a flop at QPR and other Championship clubs but did relatively OK at Posh and Charlton. Same as Steve Howard and (pains me to say it) Bobby Davison - they were giants for us at a certain level but not quite enough once we got promoted. That's my only glimmer of hope for this signing, if it happens.