Pre-Season Friendlies 2023/24

18 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

You realise that the defences in League One tend to be better at marking than the defences in the Northern Premier League Premier Division & National League?

tbf I'm sure he will get a decent amount from Ward's balls throughout the season, but gloating about him scoring against teams 2-4 levels below is a bit weird.

Hardly gloating, just pointing out to those who say he doesn't do any of those things, that he clearly can.... I don't think he's a world beater but some of the comments about his lack of ability have been frankly disgraceful 

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Weird really. It’s a preseason friendly - all about building up match fitness etc where the result doesn’t really matter but is just me anxiously hoping we hold on for the win? 😀

No injuries is what matters most and I don't care if we lose in friendlies but it's nice for our beloved Rams to win everything

Thought Chesterfield were a very good choice of opposition, not just a local team going through the motions but one looking to be competitive carrying on from last season who would approach it as close to a real game as you could expect at this stage, one of the more useful pre-season games we've had so well done whoever planned it.

Edited by Kokosnuss

The first half didn’t fill me with confidence, the players weren’t remotely close to being on the same page and there was as a lot of mistimed runs, playing ourselves into trouble and just not having much of a plan in general. To be expected, I guess, but I would’ve thought we would’ve been a little further into our development. 

Second half was much better, as we grew into the game and got a win in a game that probably should’ve been a draw. Collins was doing himself no favours up until he scored. He plays with the aggression of a pissed up Brit in Benidorm who just watched a German youth steal the last sunbed from under him. He could do with calming down or at least focusing his aggression a little more productively. 

Some of the younger lads did well, shame Brown didn’t score his chance. The u21 side will be much better this season, that’s for sure.

2 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Another pre season win. Good workout. Getting more used to each other's strengths / weaknesses. And not forgetting RB's comment that they'd go into this game with tired legs from hard sessions on Tues, with the same for Saturday's game as no rest Thurs or Fri. 

I'd missed this and feel a little happier now.

Deffo some positives from today, however for me it still highlights we need more reinforcements. Alot of players out of position. Cant particularly see any philosophy at the moment. Looking forward to seeing who we bring in in the top end of the pitch

37 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No, it's great when he scores. But he's still a very ordinary striker, a great cross from Ward.

I reckon there are a few posters that would still be a little bit gutted even if the ball had just ricocheted off his backside.

Although a lot of his work goes unnoticed, I don’t think anyone could claim he had a great year last season. For me though, I’m not going to write him off after just one year and will reserve judgement until well into next season.

Another good work out, Ward with another great cross, Collins scoring again, a striker feeds off confidence so scoring again will do him good, Wildsmith with a good save, Bird looking good, just building nicely now for the 5th of August. Looking forward to saturday, to show my appreciation to Graig Forsyth, great player, great professional, and a loyal servant to the Rams. 

Collins scored and I think friendly or not scoring seems to be habitual for forwards so any goals can only help hi this season.

In regards to team performance, and reflections on how the season will pan out, I never draw too many conclusions out of it. In fact I seem to remember in the mid-late nineties our seasons performance appeared inversely proportional to our pre-season. Seem to remember a terrible preseason the season we went up under Jim Smith, all kinds of wins preseason the "record breaking" season. Might be wrong though.