Pre-Season Friendlies 2023/24

47 minutes ago, angieram said:

I've just been reading the Sheff Utd fans' forum and they are very underwhelmed with their team. Got nine players out injured already - that's a lot. 

Osborne and Lowe generally considered way below the standard needed.

They think Bird and Hourihane are dirty players - certainly don't like a tackle on there! Made me laugh given we think they're a pair of lightweights 

Opinion divided fifty fifty on Osula. 

I am not surprised about that, Angie. HE gets into great positions, but it always seems that the ball won't run or fall right for him, or his shot is saved, or he scuffs his shot. Unless he develops his finishing, he will always be a nearly man. 

Analysing the game as objectively as possible:

Negatives -

Two of their three goals came from our back/sideways passes - regardless of the opposition that’s something that seriously needs to be addressed. Both Nelson and Smith can only have had what is known as a brain fart and switched off, not truly focused and made a pass that led to an opposition goal. In a preseason friendly, perhaps the intensity isn’t there and that’s the sort of thing that happens? We were guilty of similar things last season though, hopefully this was needed in order for it to become a focus. 

The opposition were very good today, really hard working and played some fantastic football at times. Berge and Ndiaye are absolutely top quality footballers and were both humming today, they do have a lot of footballers that are Championship standard but they do work really hard off the ball. No surprise they were promoted given the makeup of their team. It won’t be enough for the Premier League, but if they can add a couple more players of that standard then who knows. A lack of speed and an outlet to unbalance them was evident, Collins was isolated at times. NML played really well, perhaps a lack of legs in midfield. When Smith, Bird and Hourihane are all starting - the lack of depth on the bench is evident. I do feel like we could probably do with another centre midfielder, despite us only being in the market for two more. Difficult with our budget. 

Subbing Thompson, honestly he was struggling but I felt like with it being a friendly that he could’ve been given the last 45 minutes as a learning period. If he’s likely to start Saturday in that position then it would’ve been worth it. We don’t have to defend the same way in League One, so really it would’ve been a good test to see if he could’ve grown into the game and essentially survived it. No better time to throw him into the deep end IMO. 

Positives - 

In friendlies, you typically try and look at indicators for the ceiling of the team going forward. I feel the system is starting to feel a little more natural, the back three for the most part looked balanced and there was less getting in each others way. Cashin and Nelson getting crosses in the box wasn’t to be expected but good to see, albeit they may have to work on them going forward. The football at times was great, very slick and we did create decent chances - ironically the 10 minutes before their two late goals were our best period of the game.

Bringing me on to my next point, Waghorn can definitely still play. I thought he was like a man possessed, pressed really well and created a couple of chances - if he had scored it would’ve been a no brainer. You can see that his level of fitness and technical ability will definitely make him an asset in League One, anyway. Really did well. I felt Washington also looked sharp when he got on. I don’t think there is any player, bar Thompson, that actually played too badly at all. Mistakes, sure, but most had a positive game in the grand scheme of things. 

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Could mean the rumoured Rhodes deal, perhaps the player or Huddersfield have changed their minds/the arrangement in some way? Bit petulant/unprofessional on Warne’s part if that is the case and he’s called it out in such a public way. 

Unusual for him as he usually seems very professional about “company secrets” no names no pack drill and so forth; but you just felt his frustration or disappointment. 

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Negatives -

Two of their three goals came from our back/sideways passes - regardless of the opposition that’s something that seriously needs to be addressed. Both Nelson and Smith can only have had what is known as a brain fart and switched off, not truly focused and made a pass that led to an opposition goal. In a preseason friendly, perhaps the intensity isn’t there and that’s the sort of thing that happens? We were guilty of similar things last season though, hopefully this was needed in order for it to become a focus. 

The opposition were very good today, really hard working and played some fantastic football at times. Berge and Ndiaye are absolutely top quality footballers and were both humming today, they do have a lot of footballers that are Championship standard but they do work really hard off the ball. No surprise they were promoted given the makeup of their team. It won’t be enough for the Premier League, but if they can add a couple more players of that standard then who knows. A lack of speed and an outlet to unbalance them was evident, Collins was isolated at times. NML played really well, perhaps a lack of legs in midfield. When Smith, Bird and Hourihane are all starting - the lack of depth on the bench is evident. I do feel like we could probably do with another centre midfielder, despite us only being in the market for two more. Difficult with our budget. 

Subbing Thompson, honestly he was struggling but I felt like with it being a friendly that he could’ve been given the last 45 minutes as a learning period. If he’s likely to start Saturday in that position then it would’ve been worth it. We don’t have to defend the same way in League One, so really it would’ve been a good test to see if he could’ve grown into the game and essentially survived it. No better time to throw him into the deep end IMO. 

Positives - 

In friendlies, you typically try and look at indicators for the ceiling of the team going forward. I feel the system is starting to feel a little more natural, the back three for the most part looked balanced and there was less getting in each others way. Cashin and Nelson getting crosses in the box wasn’t to be expected but good to see, albeit they may have to work on them going forward. The football at times was great, very slick and we did create decent chances - ironically the 10 minutes before their two late goals were our best period of the game.

Bringing me on to my next point, Waghorn can definitely still play. I thought he was like a man possessed, pressed really well and created a couple of chances - if he had scored it would’ve been a no brainer. You can see that his level of fitness and technical ability will definitely make him an asset in League One, anyway. Really did well. I felt Washington also looked sharp when he got on. I don’t think there is any player, bar Thompson, that actually played too badly at all. Mistakes, sure, but most had a positive game in the grand scheme of things. 

Forsyth will start ahead of Thompson, until Elder is fit.

We did lose possession, but often the player who lost it was played into trouble. The biggest issue was Hourihane's and Bradley's lack of pace. Hopefully we won't face that kind of pace again in the league. 

Edited by sage

3 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Genuinely didnt hear it … where in the interview does he say it 

be interested to hear it 

I was just listening to RD in the car on the way home from the game. I was surprised that although they didn’t have a match presentation they went over to PPS for an interview/post match thing with PW. 

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Negatives -

Positives - 

I was really impressed with Washingtons cameo. Pace strength and intent. I thought Max and  Corrie were both really on it. I’ll forgive Smiths looping crossfield ball .. 2 inches higher and it would have been an intelligent switch of play. Their attacker made an excellent opportunistic interception .. sometimes you just have to acknowledge that the other player did a good job. 
Kane wassisname looked sharper than his introduction at Stoke. That’s got to be improving fitness. Max Lowe kept Ward relatively quiet but I am enjoying the overlaps on the flanks. We did well. They probably deserved the win but they weren’t 2 goals better than us. We made chances, looked sharp and flexible in style. 
Bradleys on the line block was excellent positioning and quick thinking . I am told he he lacks pace but so far it’s all good. We haven’t been as scary at set pieces for a very long time. 

Can’t wait for Saturday .. I think we have the makings of a good team with a sound chance of promotion playing some football that will be enjoyable to watch along the way. 

3 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Oh agree hes not a wingback

mayve as u say a last 20 mins or so add a bit of energy as players flag 

squad game and all that

Because he’s such a willing little dynamo I have been hoping he would step up to regular selection but at this stage I reckon you’re right; maybe that’s all to the good. He isn’t a wing back but he is versatile and quick enough to fill in anywhere in midfield. You wouldn’t want a ferret like Thommo down your trousers with 20 mins to go 

Was driving back from Holiday yesterday so only caught the highlights…

IMHO, few teams if any in league 1 will be as quick or creative on the ball as SU were, so I am not too worried about that, we did gift them two of the goals which was a bit disappointing.

it’s nice to see NML look sharper, for me he really lost his edge in the last 1/4 of last season.  Sonny Bradley looked good to me too.

I am quite optimistic as I think we will get goals from around the squad, but still worried that without the additional goals of a quality striker we will have the situation of wins turning to draws and draws to losses and the bitter taste that leaves at times…

Regarding Derby County 1-3 Sheff Utd. I thought we played well when we moved the ball around in triangle shapes and at times looked bright and positive.

Hourihane has the quality but frustrates a lot when not even looking forward on many occasions to put us on the front foot and create, instead choosing to pass it back where it has come from. I understand keeping possession and keeping the ball moving, but a lot of the time we opt to let the opposition get back into shape, when we could opt for quick attacking through balls, or balls out wide or onto other midfield players to counter attack. Maybe the lack of pace we have in our attackers forces players to turn around so much, and signing Waghorn would only reinforce this. Not sure how quick Washington is but his movement in the box was good when he should of scored.

Nelson and Bradley continued to look good for us, and hopefully Wilson will get more game time, to get up to speed, he currently looks unfit and bulky up top and was slow to do anything with the goals. Ward again put a cross or two into the box and looks to do the right things. Hopefully Elder gets fit soon, so we get to see him and maybe he gets back in defence, where Cashin switched off for the first goal, and we might have not been caught out for the third, when Smith stopped and played for offside.

So taking the first and third Sheff Utd goals out of the game, a 1-1 result could have been achieved against a Premiership side, which shows to me at this stage, we are looking alright, and a midfielder/striker with pace and aggression in both positions with PW stating 2/3 more players are required, and I would think that makes our team very strong and very capable of gaining promotion this season.

We looked alright with the EFL ball, conceding one soft goal but we looked better with the Premiership ball, conceding 2 goals.

So onwards and upwards.

75559DD4-759D-4B00-8DFA-3E83B643FAD9.jpeg

5A81EAE6-DA7F-4B00-8729-ADF223E42551.jpeg

Edited by Inverurie Ram

3 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Regarding Derby County 1-3 Sheff Utd. I thought we played well when we moved the ball around in triangle shapes and at times looked bright and positive.

Hourihane has the quality but frustrates a lot when not even looking forward on many occasions to put us on the front foot and create, instead choosing to pass it back where it has come from. I understand keeping possession and keeping the ball moving, but a lot of the time we opt to let the opposition get back into shape, when we could opt for quick attacking through balls, or balls out wide or onto other midfield players to counter attack. Maybe the lack of pace we have in our attackers forces players to turn around so much, and signing Waghorn would only reinforce this. Not sure how quick Washington is but his movement in the box was good when he should of scored.

Nelson and Bradley continued to look good for us, and hopefully Wilson will get more game time, to get up to speed, he currently looks unfit and bulky up top and was slow to do anything with the goals. Ward again put a cross or two into the box and looks to do the right things. Hopefully Elder gets fit soon, so we get to see him and maybe he gets back in defence, where Cashin switched off for the first goal, and we might have not been caught out for the third, when Smith stopped and played for offside.

So taking the first and third Sheff Utd goals out of the game, a 1-1 result could have been achieved against a Premiership side, which shows to me at this stage, we are looking alright, and a midfielder/striker with pace and aggression in both positions with PW stating 2/3 more players are required, and I would think that makes our team very strong and very capable of gaining promotion this season.

We looked alright with the EFL ball, conceding one soft goal but we looked better with the Premiership ball, conceding 2 goals.

So onwards and upwards.

75559DD4-759D-4B00-8DFA-3E83B643FAD9.jpeg

5A81EAE6-DA7F-4B00-8729-ADF223E42551.jpeg

I thought their 3rd goal was offside, even Korey raised his arm.