Alfie May - joined Charlton

JfR

1 hour ago, Ramslad1992 said:

We will win the first game of the season against Wigan and the goal scorers aren’t even here yet… relax! It’s a marathon not a sprint.

I am relaxed was just saying at this moment in time what my thoughts were ....just hoping we get some decent firepower 

Feel like we’d be crazy not to be in for Alfie May.

I get peoples concerns about his age and the fact he’s only had a couple of decent seasons, as to whether he can step up to our level. But it’s really not that much of a gamble if he’s available for 200k - that shouldn’t deplete our budget too much. And with the amount of goals he’s scored, can we really afford to let someone else get hold of him?

We’re crying out for a goal scorer now McGoldrick is gone, and this guy seems the ideal replacement to me. Granted, I’ve only seen him play a couple of times, but I remember us giving him loads of s*** from the away end at Cheltenham - and that was because he was by far the best player on the pitch. 

We need two strikers anyway, so it’s not like he’d even have to be the starter. He just seems a much more worthwhile gamble than Washington.

According to a couple of local rags and forums Joey Barton has entered the building!

Bristol Rovers did probably rely heavily on Collins last season, so it makes sense for the club to be searching for a new striker, and if they can work out a deal, this could be one of the signings of the summer in League One.”

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bristol-rovers-join-charlton-athletic-and-gillingham-in-race-for-league-one-striker/

On 02/07/2023 at 16:20, Millenniumram said:

Feel like we’d be crazy not to be in for Alfie May.

I get peoples concerns about his age and the fact he’s only had a couple of decent seasons, as to whether he can step up to our level. But it’s really not that much of a gamble if he’s available for 200k - that shouldn’t deplete our budget too much. And with the amount of goals he’s scored, can we really afford to let someone else get hold of him?

We’re crying out for a goal scorer now McGoldrick is gone, and this guy seems the ideal replacement to me. Granted, I’ve only seen him play a couple of times, but I remember us giving him loads of s*** from the away end at Cheltenham - and that was because he was by far the best player on the pitch. 

We need two strikers anyway, so it’s not like he’d even have to be the starter. He just seems a much more worthwhile gamble than Washington.

I get your point about £200k not being a great deal of money but, there is also his wages to be factored into our restricted budget. Regarding “the amount of goals he’s scored” as you acknowledge he’s had two very good years (albeit his most recent two seasons) out of a 7 years in leagues 1 or 2.

If he joins us then obviously I hope he has another number of great seasons but, I’m not convinced he’s the new messiah. Granted though, you could say that about any player: past success (or failure) is no guarantee of future success (or failure). 

I guess we need to trust in PW and, if we don’t go for him, assume/hope PW isn’t crazy.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I get your point about £200k not being a great deal of money but, there is also his wages to be factored into our restricted budget. Regarding “the amount of goals he’s scored” as you acknowledge he’s had two very good years (albeit his most recent two seasons) out of a 7 years in leagues 1 or 2.

If he joins us then obviously I hope he has another number of great seasons but, I’m not convinced he’s the new messiah. Granted though, you could say that about any player: past success (or failure) is no guarantee of future success (or failure). 

I guess we need to trust in PW and, if we don’t go for him, assume/hope PW isn’t crazy.

I agree, i am not too fussed as long as PW has a trick up his sleeve. 

However, you can take wages into account but Alfie May is not going to be one of those players we are needing to worry about wages. We know he can score at this level and in a poor team too. With the better (ish) standard of player around him, he would definitely be useful and an improvement on what we have currently. He doesn't need to be the 'messiah'

Edited by jimbobram

I understand all the negatives but I do like the fact that he scored against the top sides last year and also that his goals come in a variety of finishes.

I think he might get a similar number if we can buy the perfect foil.

The tough thing is that the ‘foil’ will also need to get a few as we will need to have plenty of scoring options.

14 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Bieliks wage would have been accounted for and that's a massive saving  Stearman, Davies, Chester have gone.  On top of that we've found a monthly wage for a goalie who's never going to kick a ball for another 12 months.  On top of that we've had some kind of finance loosening.  The only thing I'd factor in is that we probably still owe a fee for Jozwiak that needs clearing.  Other than that, I can't see how 200K plus matching  Charlton/Gillinghams wage offer and convincing any player, without championship offers, the chance to play at Derby should be that difficult.  

If we really are that tight on finance, Loach shouldn't have another year as that extra cash could scupper a deal we need to improve a wage offer on.

Never seen Alfie May play and he may or may not be a serious transfer target for us.I trust Warne's judgment and like the new signings so far but I appreciate,like all fans ,that we need quite a few more.I just hope that if he does sign then he's not another Jack Marriott whose stats were good before he came here but failed to live up to the hype.The player's mentality is as vital as their ability and whether or not they're fazed by larger crowds to do their stuff!

15 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I agree, i am not too fussed as long as PW has a trick up his sleeve. 

However, you can take wages into account but Alfie May is not going to be one of those players we are needing to worry about wages. We know he can score at this level and in a poor team too. With the better (ish) standard of player around him, he would definitely be useful and an improvement on what we have currently. He doesn't need to be the 'messiah'

Having May completely negates Warne's playing style of 'mixing it up', due to not being able to go long and battle it the air. McGoldrick won 47% of his 8.1 aerial battles per 90, Collins won 33% of his 7.7 per 90, and May 8 % of his 1.3 per 90.

The counter argument to having better players around him, is having more congested defences to score past. The opposition tends to set back against Derby a lot more than they do for Cheltenham.

He may be an improvement on what we have at the moment (ie no 2nd choice CF), but he likely will not be as good all round as the forwards we will sign instead.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Having May completely negates Warne's playing style of 'mixing it up', due to not being able to go long and battle it the air. McGoldrick won 47% of his 8.1 aerial battles per 90, Collins won 33% of his 7.7 per 90, and May 8 % of his 1.3 per 90.

The counter argument to having better players around him, is having more congested defences to score past. The opposition tends to set back against Derby a lot more than they do for Cheltenham.

He may be an improvement on what we have at the moment (ie no 2nd choice CF), but he likely will not be as good all round as the forwards we will sign instead.

The stats are deceptive.

Whilst our forwards may have ‘won’ their headers, where did the ball go and what advantage did we gain?

Our defenders are equally culpable. They head the ball forwards rather than to a teammate.

I think we need a strong player who can receive the ball to feet and lay it off to May or whoever. 

That player is likely to be a big striker who can then get in the box for headers.

An upgrade on Collins with Collins as sub.

14 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Never seen Alfie May play and he may or may not be a serious transfer target for us.I trust Warne's judgment and like the new signings so far but I appreciate,like all fans ,that we need quite a few more.I just hope that if he does sign then he's not another Jack Marriott whose stats were good before he came here but failed to live up to the hype.The player's mentality is as vital as their ability and whether or not they're fazed by larger crowds to do their stuff!

I'm not sure Marriott was fazed by big occasions.  Scored 3 in the playoffs and had another cleared off the line in the final.  Frank just had the firestarter who's rocked up at Burton as a personal favourite and couldn't see past him.   Marriott was very effective with Mount.  He knew where to provide him with a pass.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm not sure Marriott was fazed by big occasions.  Scored 3 in the playoffs and had another cleared off the line in the final.  Frank just had the firestarter who's rocked up at Burton as a personal favourite and couldn't see past him.   Marriott was very effective with Mount.  He knew where to provide him with a pass.

Yes I'd agree with that ,I was alluding to Warne's comments that they'd hope to sign players who could cope with large crowds and the greater pressures that brings.

Reading  about Marriott it seems that he wasn't a hard worker in training and  had been criticised by 3 former managers regarding his attitude.I should imagine Warne is very thorough in getting feedback re a player's character.

15 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Yes I'd agree with that ,I was alluding to Warne's comments that they'd hope to sign players who could cope with large crowds and the greater pressures that brings.

Reading  about Marriott it seems that he wasn't a hard worker in training and  had been criticised by 3 former managers regarding his attitude.I should imagine Warne is very thorough in getting feedback re a player's character.

Obsessed Golfers need not apply 😂😂

Edited by Elwood P Dowd