Alfie May - joined Charlton

JfR

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Sam Smith is a good shout, albeit I don't know much more about him other than the stats you have offered here

Misses a s*** load of chances, needs 9-10 shots on average to score a goal (had the 2nd highest number of shots of any player in the league last season) and goes on lengthy streaks of games without a goal followed by scoring in multiple games in a row.

Completely monopolises his teams shooting opportunities - his 131 shots last season was followed in 2nd place by Knibbs on 57 so less than half as many, Lankester on 49 - plus he only scored 2 more league goals than James Collins last season despite having 50 more shots than him.

Doesn't seem provide his teammates with many chances as his paltry 4 assists over the past 2 seasons would indicate (despite often playing at RW)

He doesn't seem to be someone who's strong in the air either.

'Scores goals in a poor team, so will definitely score more in a good team' is one of the biggest misnomers going - the reason Cambridge were such a poor team may well be linked to having a greedy striker/winger wasting all their attacking potential - I'm not saying that's definitely the case but it wouldn't surprise me.

It sounds like I'm writing him off but I could have completely the wrong end of the stick - I think we need @Jubbs to come along with his  percentile data Vs other RW/CFs in the league to give us some indication of what it is he's actually good at!

Edited by Kokosnuss

5 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Misses a s*** load of chances, needs 9-10 shots on average to score a goal (had the 2nd highest number of shots of any player in the league last season) and goes on lengthy streaks of games without a goal followed by scoring in multiple games in a row.

Completely monopolises his teams shooting opportunities - his 131 shots last season was followed in 2nd place by Knibbs on 57 so less than half as many, Lankester on 49 - plus he only scored 2 more league goals than James Collins last season despite having 50 more shots than him.

Doesn't seem provide his teammates with many chances as his paltry 4 assists over the past 2 seasons would indicate (despite often playing at RW)

He doesn't seem to be someone who's strong in the air either.

'Scores goals in a poor team, so will definitely score more in a good team' is one of the biggest misnomers going - the reason Cambridge were such a poor team may well be linked to having a greedy striker/winger wasting all their attacking potential - I'm not saying that's definitely the case but it wouldn't surprise me.

It sounds like I'm writing him off but I could have completely the wrong end of the stick - I think we need @Jubbs to come along with his  percentile data Vs other RW/CFs in the league to give us some indication of what it is he's actually good at!

131 shots but 1 was a penalty (scored) and 23 were from indirect set pieces (1 scored), giving him an open play average of 1 goal every 9.1 shots. The season before, it was 1 in 5.

What those '131 shots' don't tell you, is that 46 of those were with his head, scoring 6. From his 71 left foot shots he scored 4, and from his 14 right foot shots he scored 3.
Head = 1 in 7.7 shots
Right = 1 in 17.8 shots
Left = 1 in 4.7 shots
Perhaps he needs to reconsider which his stronger foot is 😅 However, in 21/22, those figures were 1 in 22, 1 in 4.2 and 1 in 4 respectively.

Collins, Cashin and McGoldrick topped our charts for headed shots, with a combined total of 58. If we want to be better at set pieces, Smith is a very obvious answer as he had more headed shots than anyone else in the league last season. Interestingly, Collins ranked 9th overall and was 6th out of CFs.
Sam Smith - 46
Michael Smith - 45
Ellis Harrison - 39
Jonson Clarke-Harris - 39
Sam Vokes - 36
James Collins - 26

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

35 year old Mcgoldrick who's played in the Premier League moving to his boyhood club to finish his career is hardly the same as Alfie May who has never played for a club above league one.

Hardly the same is it 

No, hardly the same, but the above has nothing to do with the point you were originally making.

You literally said if we wanted Alfie May he would have come. You really have no idea that is true. Like David McGoldrick, it seems Alfie, has personal and family reasons to want to move to a club other than the mighty Derby County.

11 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

No, hardly the same, but the above has nothing to do with the point you were originally making.

You literally said if we wanted Alfie May he would have come. You really have no idea that is true. Like David McGoldrick, it seems Alfie, has personal and family reasons to want to move to a club other than the mighty Derby County.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

131 shots but 1 was a penalty (scored) and 23 were from indirect set pieces (1 scored), giving him an open play average of 1 goal every 9.1 shots. The season before, it was 1 in 5.

What those '131 shots' don't tell you, is that 46 of those were with his head, scoring 6. From his 71 left foot shots he scored 4, and from his 14 right foot shots he scored 3.
Head = 1 in 7.7 shots
Right = 1 in 17.8 shots
Left = 1 in 4.7 shots
Perhaps he needs to reconsider which his stronger foot is 😅 However, in 21/22, those figures were 1 in 22, 1 in 4.2 and 1 in 4 respectively.

Collins, Cashin and McGoldrick topped our charts for headed shots, with a combined total of 58. If we want to be better at set pieces, Smith is a very obvious answer as he had more headed shots than anyone else in the league last season. Interestingly, Collins ranked 9th overall and was 6th out of CFs.
Sam Smith - 46
Michael Smith - 45
Ellis Harrison - 39
Jonson Clarke-Harris - 39
Sam Vokes - 36
James Collins - 26

Thanks as ever for the extra details. I know I could get them from myself just a pain in the ass doing it on my phone.

Definite potential if we want to score more headers, which is surprising because I'm sure I read his overall aerial duel stats were not bad but not in the black.

Sounds like 'an option' but I'd be exceptionally wary of him being our main CF, and still question marks over what else he'd add to the team.

Warne has stated that we wants all our strikers all to offer something different though, so as one of a group of strikers, I'd maybe be for it - the difficulty is bringing in players, especially strikers, who are willing to be a rotation/tactical option rather than starting most games.

Edited by Kokosnuss

7 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Thanks as ever for the extra details. I know I could get them from myself just a pain in the ass doing it on my phone.

Definite potential if we want to score more headers, which is surprising because I'm sure I read his overall aerial duel stats were not bad but not in the black.

Sounds like 'an option' but I'd be exceptionally wary of him being our main CF, and still question marks over what else he'd add to the team.

Warne has stated that we wants all our strikers all to offer something different though, so as one of a group of strikers, I'd maybe be for it - the difficulty is bringing in players, especially strikers, who are willing to be a rotation/tactical option rather than starting most games.

The last bit is why signing Washington makes sense. He's spent his whole career being a squad player, playing only around 50% of the minutes on the pitch. He has a decent contribution rate in L1 too. Smith is similar, although his game time has increased in the last 2 seasons. Perhaps could be tempted by joining a bigger club.