Alfie May - joined Charlton

JfR

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

I for one am glad we're not signing a 30 year old for 250k plus on a 3 year deal.

Exactly.  Our strategy under DC seems to be under 30 = 3 year contract, over 30 = 2 year contract.  It may even be at 33 or 34 it’s 1 year like last year.  If we were in for him I’m glad we didn’t change that because once you start it’s the road to ruin - have a plan, stick to the plan.  I still have cold sweats at signing a soon to be 33 year old Jason Shackell for over £3M on a 3 year deal.

12 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Imagine seeing 250k for a proven goal scorer in the league as a gamble, considering a couple years ago we spent around 25+mil 1 season. 

The fall from Grace is scary.

🙃🙃🙃

You’re absolutely right. We’re not fully able to compete at the moment. Could be that some fans don’t realise that. 

47 minutes ago, SK47 said:

Imagine seeing 250k for a proven goal scorer in the league as a gamble, considering a couple years ago we spent around 25+mil 1 season. 

The fall from Grace is scary.

🙃🙃🙃

Collins was a proven goalscorer at this level. Would you say that he is worth £250k currently?

Any signing in this league is a gamble. The better players tend to be at teams further up the ladder. Funny how that works

It’s a weird way of looking at it. The age thing and contract length I mean. We could sign a 34 year old firs year and it’s ok, but not a 30 year old on a 3 year deal, even though he’ll never actually get to an age we would sign someone for? 

Id get it with someone that may have had Injury worries previously but not someone that’s been fit for the majority.

Not saying we wanted him or anything but it being down to the length of deal seems ridiculous 

The age thing wouldn't bother me.  Use him in year one to get you promoted and then in years two and three when you've got money to bring in someone younger and better he can be back up.  No harm in being a back up at 33.  Don't think we ever really saw him as the solution.

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

When it comes to players like Alfie May and Ruben Rodrigues, it’s key to remember that as fans these are players that the club have definitely been aware of and within our budgetary constraints. They’re clearly players who, for whatever reason, they didn’t like enough to go in for and that’s absolutely fine - providing the players they bring into the club are better. 

If Alfie May goes to Charlton and scores 25-30 goals next season and the guy we bring in is underwhelming and detrimental to the success of the team then Clowes can ask questions of Warne and Thomas.

It’s so, so important to Clowes that the recruitment team are competent on the player evaluation aspect because he doesn’t have Candy Crush money to cover ignorance/incompetence like his predecessor. If they aren’t up to it we may get promoted but we won’t do anything other than struggle in the Championship because we’ll be back to having one of the smaller budgets in the league like we had under Clough. The ownership model is to be sustainable so that’s a wage bill of no greater than probably half of what we were operating under Mel. Not easy to build a successful side in such conditions so everything needs to be running at optimum efficiency. 

In that theory you could also ask questions of clowes though In the same instance. Who’s to say warne and Thomas haven’t pushed for him and clowes has said we don’t have the money and need to raise funds to spend 

Charlton fan popping in. I was surprised by the suggestion of a three year contract for a 30 year old myself.

Later our local reporter suggested it’s a two year contract with a one year extension option. Which lines up with what we’ve offered most players in recent seasons - if he’s not cut out for the job, we can part ways in two years and if he does well we can trigger the additional third year.

Hopefully both our clubs will have good seasons and we can all start thinking about getting back up the football ladder.

Edited by cafc92

1 hour ago, cafc92 said:

Charlton fan popping in. I was surprised by the suggestion of a three year contract for a 30 year old myself.

Later our local reporter suggested it’s a two year contract with a one year extension option. Which lines up with what we’ve offered most players in recent seasons - if he’s not cut out for the job, we can part ways in two years and if he does well we can trigger the additional third year.

Hopefully both our clubs will have good seasons and we can all start thinking about getting back up the football ladder.

Great business by Charlton. He is the one I wanted in a rams shirt.

If we wanted Alfie May he would have come.

Personally I'd go for Sam Smith. Not long turned 25. So 5 years younger than May. 13 goals last season and 15 the season before. Both in League One in a poor side. 

Only 25 so potential to improve. If he's getting 15 goals for Cambridge there's no reason he couldn't do that here. 

I'd imagine he will have a lot of interest though.

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Personally I'd go for Sam Smith. Not long turned 25. So 5 years younger than May. 13 goals last season and 15 the season before. Both in League One in a poor side. 

Only 25 so potential to improve. If he's getting 15 goals for Cambridge there's no reason he couldn't do that here. 

Why?

I know in our eyes DCFC are the greatest club on the planet but perhaps not everyone else shares that view through black and white tinted glasses. We may be seen as one of the biggest clubs in L1 (probably the biggest depending on how you measure it but there’s no need to reawaken that old debate) but maybe that’s not the only factor players take into account.

Personally, I don’t think we were ever interested in him or, if we were, we were not as interested in him as Charlton. He may have another great season but, at this moment in time, I shan’t lose any sleep over him not coming to PP - a view I’ve expressed well before his transfer to Charlton was announced. 

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If we wanted David McGoldrick he would have stayed, based on your one-eyed logic then?

Sam Smith is a good shout, albeit I don't know much more about him other than the stats you have offered here

Will see who we do sign but does feel like we might have missed out here. Still not quite sure what a 'Warne' player is, but May has scored a lot of goals in the last couple of years, and that's quite rare. If Washington is the alternative then personally I'd have preferred May. 

But we shall see. 

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Totally agree with that! He's 25 yrs old,6 feet tall and a free agent.Would love him at Derby as one of 4 attacking options and I just hope he's the one Paul Warne is " close to signing" and adding before we head off to Spain for the training camp.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

If we wanted David McGoldrick he would have stayed, based on your one-eyed logic then?

Sam Smith is a good shout, albeit I don't know much more about him other than the stats you have offered here

Some say he is a good singer. I don't see it personally

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

35 year old Mcgoldrick who's played in the Premier League moving to his boyhood club to finish his career is hardly the same as Alfie May who has never played for a club above league one.

Hardly the same is it 

53 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Will see who we do sign but does feel like we might have missed out here. Still not quite sure what a 'Warne' player is, but May has scored a lot of goals in the last couple of years, and that's quite rare. If Washington is the alternative then personally I'd have preferred May. 

But we shall see. 

We can't say we missed out if the player at 30 years old wants to be close his family, and Charlton are a big club at league 1 level, and have potential to be a decent size at Championship. 

Remember Chris Powell, Paul Goddard, it isn't just about money.