Alfie May - joined Charlton

JfR

37 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Neither him or Stockton are good enough in my eyes. At 29 probably looking for his final big pay day, so understandably, his agent is going berserk 

Mate of mine is Cheltenham’s club photographer and thinks the world of May

47 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Neither him or Stockton are good enough in my eyes. At 29 probably looking for his final big pay day, so understandably, his agent is going berserk 

I wouldn’t mind someone like Stockton as a third striker, off the bench type option. Looks like has more of a goal threat than Collins.

May looks a good player, him and mcgoldrick for a season could be a good combination. Is not a given mcgoldrick stays but I think he will.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

20 goals for this season in a bad side. Getting on a bit sure, but could be a good punt. 

I just don't see his all round game being good enough. If we're to play 343, which best suits the players we currently have registered for next season, then we would need a more complete forward. We've seen how it doesn't work when Collins is upfront on his own for example. Defensive contribution, in either winning the ball back high up the pitch or at set pieces is also extremely important. 

In front of goal, May is almost identical to McGoldrick, 2 less shots overall (1 less in penalty area and 1 less outside) resulting in 2 less goals (1 more outside the box, 3 less in the penalty area). However, that's where the similarities end...

Dribbles - dribble success is much worse, at 35% from 77 attempts vs McGoldrick's 56% from 84
Aerial duels - 8% from 49 vs 45% from 219
Key passes - 28 vs 38
Tackles - 25 vs 40
Clearances - 6 vs 20

Alfie May has had an excellent end to the season 11 in his last 13 league games. He got 16 in his last 18 league games the season prior to that too. We should probably look to make this signing in January to get value for money. 

I think he would be an astute pick up. He's got 43 goals in the last two seasons at this level, a very opportunistic striker - a good finisher by all accounts. He's not a complete forward, but his body of work shows that he's become a reliable goal threat. I'd also have a look at the young(er) lad who he's been playing upfront with recently - Aiden Keena - who has been impressive in the second half of the season. 

49 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Alfie May has had an excellent end to the season 11 in his last 13 league games. He got 16 in his last 18 league games the season prior to that too. We should probably look to make this signing in January to get value for money. 

I think he would be an astute pick up. He's got 43 goals in the last two seasons at this level, a very opportunistic striker - a good finisher by all accounts. He's not a complete forward, but his body of work shows that he's become a reliable goal threat. I'd also have a look at the young(er) lad who he's been playing upfront with recently - Aiden Keena - who has been impressive in the second half of the season. 

Last time I read that Nick Blackman preceded it.

8e8957b0-7ed3-416e-9d83-5c12996c58b1_tex

33 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Wrexham after him as well apparently. Personally think there’s too many noses sniffing for us to win the race but nice to realistically linked with players who we can pay money for again.

Maybe one of the championship clubs would be chosen over us, but God help us if Wrexham beat us to a signing.

57 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Wrexham after him as well apparently. Personally think there’s too many noses sniffing for us to win the race but nice to realistically linked with players who we can pay money for again.

A lot is made of Wrexham's spending power, but they're now in a league with much tighter restrictions. Mullin is their highest earner on £4,500.00 a week, whilst a nice wage for a lower league footballer and people with normal jobs - I'd imagine Alfie May would be looking for somewhere in the region of double that given his body of work in the past two seasons. 

It makes them competitive with the likes of the Shrewsbury, Exeter and Cheltenham - it's still a mile off being able to compete financially with ourselves. It's not a too dissimilar to Salford, who bought their way out of the National League and into League Two.