Alfie May - joined Charlton

JfR

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

I, personally, sense we will get some players who maybe aren't that prolific on paper but will have certain attributes than we can mould into what we want. This is the market we're shopping at now, not buying high on a player after a purple patch (Blackman et al).

For example, we need pace and athleticism up the top end of the pitch, there's no doubt about that. We may get exactly that, but I doubt on paper a lot of fans who are used to our previous 10 years of business will get excited about it. And let's face it, they'll probably write him (and Warne) off.

I guess it’s getting the blend right.

We need pace and aggression for sure but we’ve had pace in Barkhuisen and NML. It’s what happens when the ball falls to them in front of goal that matters.

Calmness and accuracy are required and only a select few have it at this level.

I’d say we need two realistic 15 a season players in because I don’t have faith in Collins to get that many (useful contributor to the team though)

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I guess it’s getting the blend right.

We need pace and aggression for sure but we’ve had pace in Barkhuisen and NML. It’s what happens when the ball falls to them in front of goal that matters.

Calmness and accuracy are required and only a select few have it at this level.

I’d say we need two realistic 15 a season players in because I don’t have faith in Collins to get that many (useful contributor to the team though)

That was just an example. I don't think you need some kind of master finisher at this level. Let's face it, we got Didzy's greatest ever season and he wasn't a striker known for scoring. What we definitely do need to do is buy more tickets to raffle. If we create more openings, then you can still score more goals despite being less clinical. We don't want to be in a position we we were in at times last season where it felt like every chance we got we really needed to take because they weren't common.

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

That was just an example. I don't think you need some kind of master finisher at this level. Let's face it, we got Didzy's greatest ever season and he wasn't a striker known for scoring. What we definitely do need to do is buy more tickets to raffle. If we create more openings, then you can still score more goals despite being less clinical. We don't want to be in a position we we were in at times last season where it felt like every chance we got we really needed to take because they weren't common.

Ideally need a goal scoring midfield option too!

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Ideally need a goal scoring midfield option too!

Would be nice, but not essential. It would be good to have the likes of NML, Barkhuizen, Sibley + signing to take some load off a central striker. I think we will play with two attacking midfielders with a single striker, so those players have to chip in with double figures too ideally. Would certainly be nice to get the centre backs to chip in with close to double figures between the lot, but that could be a pipe dream.

6 hours ago, Srg said:

I, personally, sense we will get some players who maybe aren't that prolific on paper but will have certain attributes than we can mould into what we want. This is the market we're shopping at now, not buying high on a player after a purple patch (Blackman et al).

For example, we need pace and athleticism up the top end of the pitch, there's no doubt about that. We may get exactly that, but I doubt on paper a lot of fans who are used to our previous 10 years of business will get excited about it. And let's face it, they'll probably write him (and Warne) off.

This … this .. this 

every … single …. word. 

theres going to be a wake up call for some fans. 

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

When it comes to players like Alfie May and Ruben Rodrigues, it’s key to remember that as fans these are players that the club have definitely been aware of and within our budgetary constraints. They’re clearly players who, for whatever reason, they didn’t like enough to go in for and that’s absolutely fine - providing the players they bring into the club are better. 

If Alfie May goes to Charlton and scores 25-30 goals next season and the guy we bring in is underwhelming and detrimental to the success of the team then Clowes can ask questions of Warne and Thomas.

It’s so, so important to Clowes that the recruitment team are competent on the player evaluation aspect because he doesn’t have Candy Crush money to cover ignorance/incompetence like his predecessor. If they aren’t up to it we may get promoted but we won’t do anything other than struggle in the Championship because we’ll be back to having one of the smaller budgets in the league like we had under Clough. The ownership model is to be sustainable so that’s a wage bill of no greater than probably half of what we were operating under Mel. Not easy to build a successful side in such conditions so everything needs to be running at optimum efficiency. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

When it comes to players like Alfie May and Ruben Rodrigues, it’s key to remember that as fans these are players that the club have definitely been aware of and within our budgetary constraints. They’re clearly players who, for whatever reason, they didn’t like enough to go in for and that’s absolutely fine - providing the players they bring into the club are better. 

If Alfie May goes to Charlton and scores 25-30 goals next season and the guy we bring in is underwhelming and detrimental to the success of the team then Clowes can ask questions of Warne and Thomas.

It’s so, so important to Clowes that the recruitment team are competent on the player evaluation aspect because he doesn’t have Candy Crush money to cover ignorance/incompetence like his predecessor. If they aren’t up to it we may get promoted but we won’t do anything other than struggle in the Championship because we’ll be back to having one of the smaller budgets in the league like we had under Clough. The ownership model is to be sustainable so that’s a wage bill of no greater than probably half of what we were operating under Mel. Not easy to build a successful side in such conditions so everything needs to be running at optimum efficiency. 

Please don't bring back the nigel clough days. As stable as those times were, every season was the same serving. Hardworking team that regularly bought players in who somehow had the same ceiling in terms of ability, and it was boring and painful to watch. 

I'm happy with a bit more of a steady approach to transfers but I hope we have a genuine plan to not only aim for promotion this year but to have another promotion push in the near future. 🙏🙏

I bet this so called relaxed business plan means we can only spend what we generate or max spend of about £200k  and 3 year deals so not so much relaxed as some think.

Up side is if we sold night for £1.5-2m we can use that money.

having seen May join Charlton for £250k on a three year deal 

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not fussed - no definite link to say we were ever seriously interested.

I agree tbh although he would have been a good option lots of rumours  including Rodrigues probably came around from agents throwing derbys name in to either drive up the price or cause a wage war!

I fully expect Warne to pursue Ladapo and eventually get him maybe more likely if Knight goes to Ipswich 

Bit surprising we weren’t all over this given Warne’s comments today about struggling to sign strikers. Perhaps we were and got priced out which would be concerning. 
No need to push the panic button yet mind. 

Edited by RamsFan10

Just now, RamsFan10 said:

Bit surprising we weren’t all over this given Warne’s comments today about struggling to sign strikers. Perhaps we were and got priced out which would be concerning. 
No need to push the panic button yet mind. 

Or, he’s 30, wanted a 3 year deal, has only scored goals in the last 2 seasons of his whole career and our funds are better elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Or, he’s 30, wanted a 3 year deal, has only scored goals in the last 2 seasons of his whole career and our funds are better elsewhere. 

Hence, not time to push the panic button yet. 

Although 30 is within the age range Warne laid out today. 

Edited by RamsFan10

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

I for one am glad we're not signing a 30 year old for 250k plus on a 3 year deal.

Imagine seeing 250k for a proven goal scorer in the league as a gamble, considering a couple years ago we spent around 25+mil 1 season. 

The fall from Grace is scary.

🙃🙃🙃