Sheffield Wednesday (A) Sun 7th May, 12:00 KO

14 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Considering the talent in this team, serious underachievement to not make the play-offs

The only real quality in the squad is McGoldrick and Hourihane- both well into their 30's and seen their best days, although Cashin could well play at a much higher level. I think that we've done ok to get this close to the playoffs given what Warne has had to work with.

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

The only real quality in the squad is McGoldrick and Hourihane- both well into their 30's and seen their best days, although Cashin could well play at a much higher level. I think that we've done ok to get this close to the playoffs given what Warne has had to work with.

Disagree. Plenty of talent here if used appropriately. We'll see how Warne goes about recruitment but far from certain we'll be up there next season.

Not too disappointed with today. We looked comfortable, barring 10 minutes either side of half-time, and even with 10, we gave them a game. We could have been a tad more aggressive and adventurous in the first 35 and maybe scored first. It's a silly error from Davies and an overreaction from the ref to give Curtis a sending-off. It's a typically derby county way to throw away the chance for promotion, and over both legs, I'd have honestly fancied us against them, given what I've seen from them. But as I said before the game, I think this would have been a season too soon for our comeback. 

On the Wendy's side, I don't think Peterborough have anything to fear. Over the games I've seen them, they've looked beatable if you don't give them the space to use their pace up front and manage the aerial threat. Whilst they've got a second-leg home advantage today, the atmosphere sounded more funeralesque than party, except at the end when they gloated. If Peterborough frustrate them or gets an early goal, the fans will turn on that team big time, I reckon. 

24 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Player I think we need to keep hold of us Cashin…

I think we might. I guess we'll find it harder to hang on to Knight and Bird but none of our young players have looked like particularly hot properties (for ambitious Championship clubs) this year. If we do sell them I imagine it will be for a lot less than some here think they are worth. 

Shame we didn't have a fit Bielik for the run in, playing at the back. 

Today was gutting but over the season seventh feels about right. Not quite good enough and way too wasteful.

Edited by vonwright

Disappointed?   Yes

heartbroken ?    No

it was always going to be a long road building our club back to competing for promotion to the prem like we were before smell Morris ,

the hardcore will be at pride park next season getting behind derby and hopefully the EFL will have relaxed they’re destroy derby plan , I hope warne is given time to build as he is a decent manager and in my view has the attitude that sits well with what I want managing our club along with clowes they can bring back the vibe we had when young nige rebuilt us and Mac to it forward 

43 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'm on about the entire season. We have been one of the most wasteful teams in the league. Today would have been a dead rubber if we were more clinical as a team over the season. 

That is our biggest problem. Not refs.

I agree. We have paid the price for not putting the ball away often enough. But when you've only got half a squad of players, and you can't attract strikers of any substance because they come at a price, we were always going to struggle like this. 

But although if we don't take our chances, and we keep making silly mistakes, neither should we pay the price because the match officials consistently get things wrong, especially when those decisions in the great majority go against Derby County - although they are supposed to even themselves out over a season, they haven't yet after 4 long years. If evening out did happen, then next season we will get between 2 and 4 penalties per match, and the opposition will have two player sent off every match. Like leniency form the EFL, it ain't going to happen.

No shame in losing, We were the better team on that performance, Yep Wednesday only had to keep the ball, But we took it to them and didn't fold, As I posted earlier...as long as they have given their best I'm OK with it.

The incident, Was it a Penalty, Did CD deserve to get sent off, This is football in 2023, Totally different to when I grew up in the 60s 70s 80s et al, A breath of air and the player goes down, The Ref was given that opportunity because CD didn't do the simple think...leather it, He did the same at Ipswich...no weight on the ball which caused him to give the ref to give the Penalty and a Red card...no complaints from me.

CD will be mortified, To finish his playing days at DCFC with a game changing back pass will haunt him for a while...We take the moral high ground from today...over the season we weren't good enough, And those that got relegated or as like us just missed out they'll say the same.

54 minutes ago, PrideParkhead said:

I'd give Warne 10 games from the start of the season. If we're not clear @ the top after that, get rid. So called League 1 expert shown up by the hopeless Darren Ferguson. 

It’s not about today, we were good today apart from a scuffed back pass  

Warne told us that to miss top 6 would be failure. Some people seem to think our squad doesn’t support that statement but it does. It’s taken him 7/8 of the season to find the shape that best suits us. And we’ve played well only about 35% of the season. 

He needs to wear it. And apart from the financial consequences, it means the loss of Knight and Cashin, and more. 

Could have lived with not being promoted. But missing the play offs - not good enough Warne

48 minutes ago, Crewton said:

My thoughts entirely. We haven't looked quite good enough over the course of the season, particularly in converting chances. A stab at the play-offs is always worthwhile, but the upside of this is we know what division we'll be in now and I hope our recruitment guy is getting things moving already.

The ref? Well it's par for the course in this league if you're DCFC. Next season we'll just have to make sure they can't rob us of so many points with clearly incompetent officiating.

They'll find a way, you can be sure. If you remember we have ended up where we are because we broke a rule which  didn't actually exist until 3 or 4 years after we broke it.

12 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

It’s not about today, we were good today apart from a scuffed back pass  

Warne told us that to miss top 6 would be failure. Some people seem to think our squad doesn’t support that statement but it does. It’s taken him 7/8 of the season to find the shape that best suits us. And we’ve played well only about 35% of the season. 

He needs to wear it. And apart from the financial consequences, it means the loss of Knight and Cashin, and more. 

Could have lived with not being promoted. But missing the play offs - not good enough Warne

Sums it up Kevin. Our failure this season was due to the games against MK Dons Fleetwood, Shrewsbury, Lincoln and so on. And I really would have expected us to get at least a win or two from the top 14 away from home. 
Warne’s one thing on his Cv is he’s got 3 promotions out of League one. It was a very big ask to get into autos this year especially ally given the form of the top 3. But to not even get into the playoffs is a failure from Warne of epic proportions