Exeter City (A) Tues 18th April

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

Hope we can rest up and get it right this weekend. Peterborough have Ipswich, we have Burton. This is going to be our best chance of getting back in to the top 6 and then staying there.

Posh were always likely to win tonight so matching there result was crucial.

Tonight's results were probably enough to see off Portsmouth (not mathematically but as near as damn it) and makes it hard for Wycombe.

How big is Saturday now? We just need Ipswich to not have an off day and Burton to temporarily suspend their good run of results.

Just now, Tamworthram said:

Tonight's results were probably enough to see off Portsmouth (not mathematically but as near as damn it) and makes it hard for Wycombe.

How big is Saturday now? We just need Ipswich to not have an off day and Burton to temporarily suspend their good run of results.

Just getting into the top six would feel mentally big! All in your own hands then.

think two home wins might be enough to make top six.

Peterborough have Ipswich Saturday and Barnsley away on the last day so a tough run.

I think it’s only fair to give the manager credit today because we were far better in the second half-until they scored. They looked far more up for it and deserved the win I thought. Someone else really needs to help DMcG out though on the goals front.

I was worried that the long coach journey back might affect us but have just heard that the EFL business plan dictates that we travel back by boat, so that’s that worry out of the way. 

🐏

1 minute ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I think it’s only fair to give the manager credit today because we were far better in the second half-until they scored. They looked far more up for it and deserved the win I thought. Someone else really needs to help DMcG out though on the goals front.

I was worried that the long coach journey back might affect us but have just heard that the EFL business plan dictates that we travel back by boat, so that’s that worry out of the way. 

🐏

if the efl had any say in our travel arrangements, we'd be hitch hiking

41 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

God so stressful. How long should it take for heart beat to return to normal? 

7 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

Just getting into the top six would feel mentally big! All in your own hands then.

think two home wins might be enough to make top six.

Peterborough have Ipswich Saturday and Barnsley away on the last day so a tough run.

Barnsley May will be in a position to rest key players in the last game 

Edited by strawhillram

Well this, I think was the first time we have changed it up at half time, and it reaped the rewards! Such a change from having it done to us!

Like BramcoteRam84 I was eased that we played football, and kept the long ball count down. 

Both sides we steady in the first half, and I am convinced that Warne sent the wrong Derby County team out fir the second half because we started the half really well, on the front foot and at tempo.

It seemed so obvious that Hourihane would roll the ball to change the angle for Didzy’s shot, but it still caught Exeter out. And apart from the goals, I though Roberts was in with a shout for man of the match. He played really well, and constantly wormed his way past two or three men at a time, while overcoming their attempts at WWF, but MIM could only go to our cheat code!

And well done to the ref - you had a good game, so get ready for your P45 in the morning!

Night all, and safe journey to all you heroes who made the journey to support the lads! 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Pompey’s season is done. Wycombe probably too, making up 4 points in 3 games is tough, let alone when you have to do it over 2 teams. Not happening.

It’s between 3 teams for the last two spots. If Bolton win their game in hand at home to Accrington then it’s just us or Posh for the last place.

We can’t afford to drop any points in our remaining home games. Posh have Barnsley and Ipswich to play, so two wins for us could well be enough. I’m hoping we’ll get 7 more points to take us to 79, not sure what is usually the benchmark in L1 but that seems a high number to still miss out. I remember we set the record points total to not finish in the top 6 with 78 when we crumbled at home to Reading on the last day. I think 78 would be enough this year.

A really good result & a really good performance - the most unexpected league result of the season so far for me.

The tone was set with the line up - the decision to go with Knight & Roberts as wingbacks gave the side much better balance & playing Mendez-Laing off McGoldrick gave the attacking side much needed variation & pace. I was a bit surprised by the negative reaction to the first half on here - aside from a dodgy 10 mins around the 20 minute mark, I thought we had control of the game albeit we were moving the ball around too slowly to hurt them & were too deep at times. We did look comfortable in the main though & fashioned some decent half chances, most notably Knight (who played well at RWB) & Sibley.

Second half our attitude & work-rate were excellent though. Got on the front foot right from the kick off & our intensity surprised them - they barely got into the game that first 30 mins after half-time. I really liked the interplay between Mendez-Laing, McGoldrick & Sibley & think that's a promising attacking unit we should be fielding again. Also thought Hourihane was very good, both defensively & with his forward passing/crosses.

Two fantastic goals from McGoldrick - funnily enough he had been quiet first half but his quality thereafter showed just how lucky we are to have him. Second goal in particular - such a delicate touch from Mendez-Laing's pass to make the space for the finish. Wonderful. It was such a shame that we had an absolute brainfart a couple of minutes later to gift them a goal - no idea what Wildsmith was trying to do but it was totally undeserved for an Exeter side that had been chasing shadows since the break. Fortunately we managed the game really well to the conclusion & the subs were well chosen & well timed - Collins and Dobbin to chase their defenders down and Smith to add another body to the midfield.

I'm a lot more enthused after that. Same line up & intensity for Saturday please. Well done Derby & yes, well done Paul Warne 👏

16 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Also, “Warneball”, just what is that? It must be fluid attacking football because tonight I saw hardly any long ball, only fluid attacking play especially in the second half

It would appear that it's  fluid attacking football against s*** or weakened sides, hopeless long ball against good sides or when we've fallen behind in a game

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Thought Knight was wasted at RWB and mostly anonymous. Didn't think the three at the back helped, a four would have been better. The forward play before Warne took Sibley off was getting better, football was being played.

Do agree, but was best have seen us play with three at the back for a long time. Not really sure what it achieves personally. But am a bit more optimistic for Saturday!