Referees

Seaside Ram

• 1 month later...

I am currently in Las Vegas - last night I watched the USA vs Mexico in front of 65000 fans which were mostly Mexican ! 
the game ended 3-0 to USA 

The referee booked 9 players and sent off 4 players and finished the game a minute early due to homophobic chanting 

It was Sunday morning hacking of the opposition with a football not needed - played at the home of the Las Vegas Raiders and they would be looking to sign some of those footballers 😂

The Referee was absolutely Fine ! 
The stadium is also superb 

• 2 months later...

Looking the same this season too. 
If they over turned a straight red it could be only for two possible reasons:

1. The ball was not going in

2. It wasn’t deliberate handball by Wildsmith 

Can anyone think of another possibility?

This ref gave Plymouth a dodgy penalty against us last year. Can we ask not to have him again?

21 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Looking the same this season too. 
If they over turned a straight red it could be only for two possible reasons:

1. The ball was not going in

2. It wasn’t deliberate handball by Wildsmith 

Can anyone think of another possibility?

This ref gave Plymouth a dodgy penalty against us last year. Can we ask not to have him again?

It wasnt handball full stop 

As annoying as the red card was, now knowing that he didn’t handle it, honestly don’t blame the referee for sending him off. He dived with his arm out and despite his protest, it looked like a stonewall red card. Refs don’t have the ability to watch the game in slow motion, unfortunately. 

What did irritate me, however, was the handball which should’ve been a penalty and then the rugby tackle. I felt his general management of the game was terrible. So, while I can forgive him for the red card, he’s an appalling referee in general. He was one of the worst we had last season too, which also caused us to lose a big game away. 

I would make a request, if possible, that he just be blacklisted from our games. 

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

As we've seen from the Premier League this season, even VAR doesn't always solve the problem.

You would hope that decisions even out over the season, but they didn't appear to do so last season.

The only way to try and alleviate this is to bring better referees through. But seeing the stuff aimed at them and the way their integrity is questioned, well I guess there's not going to be a big queue of them waiting.

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

As annoying as the red card was, now knowing that he didn’t handle it, honestly don’t blame the referee for sending him off. He dived with his arm out and despite his protest, it looked like a stonewall red card. Refs don’t have the ability to watch the game in slow motion, unfortunately. 

What did irritate me, however, was the handball which should’ve been a penalty and then the rugby tackle. I felt his general management of the game was terrible. So, while I can forgive him for the red card, he’s an appalling referee in general. He was one of the worst we had last season too, which also caused us to lose a big game away. 

I would make a request, if possible, that he just be blacklisted from our games. 

How can you give an excuse for the red? He clearly didnt know wildsmith handled it which is why he played on before pulling it back and then asked the linesman who didnt even flag for it.

They guessed!! And obviously guessed wrong.

Edited by The_Sheriff

2 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

How can you give an excuse for the red? He clearly didnt know wildsmith handled it which is why he played on before pulling it back and then asked the linesman who didnt even flag for it.

I think you're right - I can see no other conclusion. 

Interesting that the FA statement does not exonerate Wildsmith from the handball decision but states

“The FA has now confirmed that Wildsmith did not prevent a clear denial of a goalscoring opportunity”

This clearly is in my opinion to prevent thre referee from being highlighted as wrong in his decision making. It would be a lot more useful to the game in general for them to just state the referees decision was wrong.

The thing is, if you are going to give a red card you myst be 99 percent sure, if not, then don't give it, the Ref also played on for them to have to more shots at goal, then pulled it back, and asked the lineo about it, joke of a decision for me, and loss the game for us. f*** the EFL. 

10 minutes ago, DerbyAleMan said:

The thing is, if you are going to give a red card you myst be 99 percent sure, if not, then don't give it, the Ref also played on for them to have to more shots at goal, then pulled it back, and asked the lineo about it, joke of a decision for me, and loss the game for us. f*** the EFL. 

Yeah. He should stop the game to send him off. If he plays on that player could have further impact on the play.

As much as the decisions have been awful, fans have to take some of the blame. From school teams up, ref's are threatened and abused for trying to do their jobs. I've seen grown men threaten to stab a teenage ref because they didn't like the decisions. We're basically picking from the few who've managed to be thick skinned (or plain ignorant) enough to survive grass roots, and it's a pretty piss-poor pool.

That said i'd have sent Wildsmith off (i'd have been wrong, but that was my snap judgement) and I dare say if it'd happened against us, most of PP would have been baying for a red.

1 hour ago, The_Sheriff said:

Not guessed, but assumed (and assumed wrong). The ball hit Wildsmith in the chest/stomach, but his arm was out and he dived into the ball. You would have to have superhuman cognitive reasoning to see that in real time. I think 90% of refs give it as handball - 90% of the ground thought he handled it. 

There wasn’t even much of a protest from our players aside from Wildsmith - watching it on RamsTV it looked like a stonewall red card. It took a camera angle looking right down the barrel that proved it wasn’t, but you can’t blame the ref for that. It’s just one of those things. 

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Not guessed, but assumed (and assumed wrong). The ball hit Wildsmith in the chest/stomach, but his arm was out and he dived into the ball. You would have to have superhuman cognitive reasoning to see that in real time. I think 90% of refs give it as handball - 90% of the ground thought he handled it. 

There wasn’t even much of a protest from our players aside from Wildsmith - watching it on RamsTV it looked like a stonewall red card. It took a camera angle looking right down the barrel that proved it wasn’t, but you can’t blame the ref for that. It’s just one of those things. 

The ref did not see the ball hit Wildsmiths hand/arm but he gave a penalty. Its not one of those things, its very poor officiating. You can't assume its handball, you've either seen handball or you haven't.