Referees

Seaside Ram

On 02/04/2023 at 13:55, jameso said:

Here's a novel idea: even without VAR, maybe the 4th official (who presumably can hear everything being said between the other 3 officials) could put aside practising putting the wrong number of added minutes on the electronic board, and instead do something useful by saying to the ref: "Sorry ref, perhaps you didn't hear properly but the lino said he didn't see anything... so on what basis are you disallowing the goal?"

There was one great 4th official (cant remember which home match) who very obviously and pointedly wrote down every second of time wasting in second half, added on about 10 mins and when there coaches complained coolly showed them his piece of paper

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

There was one great 4th official (cant remember which home match) who very obviously and pointedly wrote down every second of time wasting in second half, added on about 10 mins and when there coaches complained coolly showed them his piece of paper

I bet he get sacked that same night!

13 hours ago, SSD said:

The refs need to take a refresher course on the rules because in our match, two Ipswich players were down on the field of play and didn't go off to the side to run back on. That's a blatant attempt of not following the rules of the game, nothing to do with 50 50 decisions.

I think you need to update yourself on the rules also, as the referee was correct in this instance.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

No, totally agree, no agenda. Refs were ok during our 16 game unbeaten run 🤔

They weren't though, were they? Go through those match day threads and you'll remember some of the dodgy decisions. The difference is, people can 'forgive' bad decisions when results are going your way and you move on quicker. When it's costing us points, people will naturally discuss those bad decisions much more.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They weren't though, were they? Go through those match day threads and you'll remember some of the dodgy decisions. The difference is, people can 'forgive' bad decisions when results are going your way and you move on quicker. When it's costing us points, people will naturally discuss those bad decisions much more.

We hardly heard anything about the refs during that period, the same refs who apparently have some vendetta against the 🐏. How does that tally then 😁

How different the league table should today, if 2 refs had done their jobs properly yesterday. Instead of being 2 points behind Bolton, we could have easily been 3 points ahead.

Whilst we suffered from yet another 'soft' penalty, how many times have I heard that description on football league highlights, Bolton's NFL linebacker (their goalie) committed the most obvious red card offence of the season and got away with a yellow card. Even with 11 men, Bolton were outshot 24 to 4 by Oxford, but still won.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

Anyone still think it's a penalty?

Some do, I really don’t. White’s positioning is poor but from this angle I don’t see White playing the man, he runs towards goal, facing the goal with eyes on the ball and their player runs into White’s back. It’s an accidental coming together, or a foul on White for me (and I know others will disagree). 
The only thing I’m not sure on is if White does glance over his shoulder at the bloke, not clear from this angle. Either way I still think it’s soft and would say the same if we had a decision like it in our favour. How this is a penalty and McGoldrick being wrestled to the ground wasn’t I don’t get. 

Don't forget, it all evens itself out in the end. I'm not sure the end of what though.

The game? The season? A new manager? A new owner? A three yearly cycle like the EFL's Profit and Sustainability rules? The decade?

I often read that we didn't deserve to win this game or that, so serves us right for losing points due to refereeing decisions. Makes me think that football games should be decided on stats other than goals scored as this is too open to bias.

I can't decide on whether it should be % possession, shots on target, xG, best player haircut, or a Bake Off scenario where judges rule on the tastiest pie served up at the ground. Seems a lot fairer than what is going on week in and week out at present.

18 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Anyone still think it's a penalty?

I wouldn't betting that if it was the Derby player in blue and White was the Bristol player, a penalty would still have been given.

As for the various comments of 'on the balance of play, they deserved it', those same people didn't say the same thing about Knight's 'penalty' against MK.

On 17/04/2023 at 17:11, Blondest Goat said:

Problem is if you allow the opposition to be camped in your half there's only one side that's going to get the benefit of a dodgy decision.

Point of order, yer 'onour.

Whilst I appreciate your sentiments, the fact remains that the oppo could score a perfectly good goal, only to have it wiped out thanks to a dodgy off side call.

In this instance, the team benefitting from said dodgy decision isn't the "one side" that you were clearly and undeniably referring to. 

Do not try to deny it.  The evidence is irrefutable!

Case dismissed, Blondie!